• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

I can't focus or concentrate on anything - help me

I

irtea

Hello,

I have a problem that has existed for years, and the solution is not simple and probably not even possible.

I have mental illness that has not only affected but completely destroyed my entire life, there is no cure, there isn't even a diagnosis, there is no treatment available and I've been through mental health services and they simply can not help. But I've been dealing with it since I was 8 and in some ways I cope with it.

The symptons are endless, I could walk outside right now past the spider under the stairs and poke it. Five minutes later, I could develop fully grown arachnophobia, see it, and have a panic attack completely paralyzing me for five minutes or until it moves near me, then all I can do is scream until I get help, and then I sweat for hours unable to get the image out of my head. I could be sitting here without too much (but this) on my mind, sitting in my messy room and then from nowhere start seeing horrifying things - It's always the same, some faceless thing with a face which doesn't even make sense in any form of logic, shouldn't be scary yet is the most horrifying thing I've ever seen.

Right now, the one thing that never comes and goes and always stays is my complete inability to concentrate or focus. I can't get anything done! I can't even play a video game because no matter how hard I try I simply can not focus on ANYTHING. There are simple things I miss, and before I know it the game is over and I don't really even remember what happened.

I've tried meditation, even coffee, eating/drinking better, everything... no success.

And I need to be at least able to focus :(

I'm male and 21 years old if that changes anything.

S

saffron

Hi irtea
I am sorry to hear you are having so much of a hard time.
Just a thought, have you been tested for nutritional deficiencies, sometimes these can lead to all sorts of symptoms that can be mistaken for a mental illness. it is often the thing that is missed when trying to diagnose.
magnesium deficiency for instance can lead to the following symptoms:
Anxiety, confusion, heart attack, hyperactivity, insomnia, nervousness, muscular irritability, restlessness, weakness

sorry I could not help further but feel your pain

best wishes
S

I

irtea

hi yes, i've been tested for almost everything, all negative

S

saffron

mmmm, well thats a right mindbender then eh, must make you worry about it., its horrible not knowing eh, I assume that you are getting counselling or something?
S

S

saffron

Hi
Im really not sure aabout where to go from here or what you have already tried, but I found this site that might give you some exercises to help?

http://www.sharpbrains.com/teasers/

you may have tried these before, but it wont hurt to try again, anything might be better than doing nothing at all..

its up to you.

I assume you are not on recreational drugs?

best wishes
S