• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

I cant feel close to people

M

ManDss

I feel like people is something "too apart" from me.

When I talk with people I feel a "distance".

Its long to explain. Thinking now is still hard to say if I developed this kind of mentality (Ive had life events that can explain this easily) or I just borned like this.

Anyway. Even with close relatives (uncles, cousins, my sister), but also with anyone, you know, anyone.

Trying to explain this is: they talk to me, and I "observ them", then I think what and how to say it.

I dont find other people interesting.

I feel smarter than most people. Much smarter.

Also Im really good "reading people's feelings", I obserb them and its like I can "see their souls". Im very good at understanding what someone's like, Im very good with humour, I get what makes someone's laugh.

And I "excersise" it. I think "oh this people likes this", so then to prove me I think a joke directed specificly to what that people likes, and yes, I get that people laughing a lot.

Others have tell me this, "hey, you really understand me", or "its the first time I talk about this with someone, thanks". Im good making the right question to people open up, not to me, to themselves. I wanted to be a psychologist time ago.

Anyway. I was going to to call this topic "cant find my place on Eath", because I cant, most people have theier group of friends, I had them, but now I cant feel I can find people I really like to spend time with. Kind of "no one is like me".

Is kind of frightening. Think to spend the rest of life feeling alone, feeling people can hear my words, but they cant understand what Im saying.

C

candycane

I feel like people is something "too apart" from me.

When I talk with people I feel a "distance".

Its long to explain. Thinking now is still hard to say if I developed this kind of mentality (Ive had life events that can explain this easily) or I just borned like this.

Anyway. Even with close relatives (uncles, cousins, my sister), but also with anyone, you know, anyone.

Trying to explain this is: they talk to me, and I "observ them", then I think what and how to say it.

I dont find other people interesting.

I feel smarter than most people. Much smarter.

Also Im really good "reading people's feelings", I obserb them and its like I can "see their souls". Im very good at understanding what someone's like, Im very good with humour, I get what makes someone's laugh.

And I "excersise" it. I think "oh this people likes this", so then to prove me I think a joke directed specificly to what that people likes, and yes, I get that people laughing a lot.

Others have tell me this, "hey, you really understand me", or "its the first time I talk about this with someone, thanks". Im good making the right question to people open up, not to me, to themselves. I wanted to be a psychologist time ago.

Anyway. I was going to to call this topic "cant find my place on Eath", because I cant, most people have theier group of friends, I had them, but now I cant feel I can find people I really like to spend time with. Kind of "no one is like me".

Is kind of frightening. Think to spend the rest of life feeling alone, feeling people can hear my words, but they cant understand what Im saying.
What is stopping you from becoming a psychologist?
You cannot afford school?
Do you have a mental illness right now?

Z

Zoe1

sounds like maybe a guy thing ?

in class today I heard about a thing called ' man sheds '
which we have here apparently
where guys go to do woodwork and are encouraged to open up

Ras

Ras

sounds like you can read people very well and that of course can be very beneficial to you.
Do you want to feel close to others though? What i mean is, when you are around people can you tolerate being around them for long periods of time?

I myself dont feel close to people or connect with them. Like you i feel i can read them fairly well and benefit from that, but being around them can be incredibly draining. It is a lot of effort. A lot more then people could imagine. I have been in long relationships and it can end up feeling like torture and will do anything to get away.
I guess what i am saying is what people think they really want, they find out once they have it that it is really the last thing you would ever truly want.

M

ManDss

Do you want to feel close to others though? What i mean is, when you are around people can you tolerate being around them for long periods of time?
Yes, I would like to feel close to other people. I mean, its not that I want to feel close to those people now I dont feel close, its more like "I want to find other people, people who I can feel close".

I feel ok being around other people, but annoys me. I have to act all the time. Its not like totally annoying, like very dramatic, but you know, its annoying.

People tends to be friendly and open, and talkative. And Im like "I hope I could be just in silent dont talking with you".

I knows its contradictory, because I always say I want to have people to talk and do things, but Im not interested in those persons.

H

Huckleberry

sounds like maybe a guy thing ?

in class today I heard about a thing called ' man sheds '
which we have here apparently
where guys go to do woodwork and are encouraged to open up
Are those the boys who were ahh whacking in my shed?

Prozac1984

Prozac1984

Yes, I would like to feel close to other people. I mean, its not that I want to feel close to those people now I dont feel close, its more like "I want to find other people, people who I can feel close".

I feel ok being around other people, but annoys me. I have to act all the time. Its not like totally annoying, like very dramatic, but you know, its annoying.

People tends to be friendly and open, and talkative. And Im like "I hope I could be just in silent dont talking with you".

I knows its contradictory, because I always say I want to have people to talk and do things, but Im not interested in those persons.
I think this is due to the fact that there is no emotional synchrony. The feelings / wants / desires / dreams / etc ... of normal people are different from yours.

You are similar in the intellectual sphere, but different emotionally.

All people want someone similar to connect, when you are normal this is easy (at least 1 in 20 people should look like you) but when you have a PD you are part of a group less than 1% of the population.
So you learned that the only way to not be alone is to pretend to be like them.
I know exactly how it is 😐