• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

I can't fall asleep, even when I am tired

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Hi, so if your asking have I ever taken medication for it. The answer is no.

Do you recommend it?
You arent taking anything like an anti depressant?

I thought it might be good to ask for other options as some help with sleep.

Sleeping tablets are temporary so not that helpful usually.

Have you spoken to your doctor?

Are you depressed?
Stressed or anxious?

A

Abrilliantmind

I pretty much have dealt with my anxiety my whole life but due to many therapeutic exerices, I have that under control.

I am possibly falling into a depression. Over the past 10,11 days. I spend the day predominantly happy but also calm. After around 10pm, I seem to get into a lower mood.

But due to a friends advice last Friday, I dont look at that as a bad thing. I don't fight the low mood so much. I know that eventually I will feel better.

I am possibly recovering from a burnout which I got from my job which I quit around one month ago.

And no, I am not taking anti-depressants

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I pretty much have dealt with my anxiety my whole life but due to many therapeutic exerices, I have that under control.

I am possibly falling into a depression. Over the past 10,11 days. I spend the day predominantly happy but also calm. After around 10pm, I seem to get into a lower mood.

But due to a friends advice last Friday, I dont look at that as a bad thing. I don't fight the low mood so much. I know that eventually I will feel better.

I am possibly recovering from a burnout which I got from my job which I quit around one month ago.

And no, I am not taking anti-depressants
It is possible you just need to rest then, as you have now left the job. Are you getting out for a walk in the mornings? It is so important for low mood and also sleep.

Is this the first time you had depression?

I think it is serious if it goes on too long because it can be hard to get better if you get too ill.

Antidepressants are so helpful but if you can function without, it is better of course.

Sleep problems are serious too. What times are you able to sleep?

A

Abrilliantmind

It is possible you just need to rest then, as you have now left the job. Are you getting out for a walk in the mornings? It is so important for low mood and also sleep.

Is this the first time you had depression?

I think it is serious if it goes on too long because it can be hard to get better if you get too ill.

Antidepressants are so helpful but if you can function without, it is better of course.

Sleep problems are serious too. What times are you able to sleep?
So today, I was able to wake up to my alarm straight away at 10am. But I did not fall asleep untill after 2am, I do go for walks, but I am a phasic person. So for 3 months I'll walk everyday and then for 3 months I'll walk once a week.

I understand the power of walking though. Another thing is that in the morning I am fine.

Thanks for you input though👍

24thMAU

24thMAU

You are going to have to find out what is the root cause of your not sleeping. Is psychological or physical? This is where doctors come in. For me, I have sleeping problems because I have nightmares, panic attacks, and flashbacks. I take 3 separate medications to sleep.

L

lowinmood

I struggle to sleep during the night, I fall asleep around 5 or 6am and wake up about 11am. It hasn't really been a problem for me lately as I'm out of work, but I've accepted a job offfer, I'm worried that I'll fall asleep on the job and get sacked.

If I go to the dr for sleeping tablets he'll only give me a few and won't prescribe anymore, so I'm going to try a drowsy antihistamine see if that works.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
So today, I was able to wake up to my alarm straight away at 10am. But I did not fall asleep untill after 2am, I do go for walks, but I am a phasic person. So for 3 months I'll walk everyday and then for 3 months I'll walk once a week.

I understand the power of walking though. Another thing is that in the morning I am fine.

Thanks for you input though👍
10 am is quite late getting up, maybe getting up at 8am would mean you fall asleep easier.

That daily pattern, it is quite common. Some people are better in the evening and some in the morning. It could be depression that needs medication at some point so keep it in mind.

Are you taking vitamins and fish oils? Drinking plenty of water? Good diet. That will help. Fish oils are very good for depression.

Lavender oil i think is the best sleep aid.

If your mind is busy, you could listen to calming music very quietly.

Sunshine in the morning is essential, every other day at least you really must grab your hat and coat and get a walk. Tawny's order :)

A

Abrilliantmind

10 am is quite late getting up, maybe getting up at 8am would mean you fall asleep easier.

That daily pattern, it is quite common. Some people are better in the evening and some in the morning. It could be depression that needs medication at some point so keep it in mind.

Are you taking vitamins and fish oils? Drinking plenty of water? Good diet. That will help. Fish oils are very good for depression.

Lavender oil i think is the best sleep aid.

If your mind is busy, you could listen to calming music very quietly.

Sunshine in the morning is essential, every other day at least you really must grab your hat and coat and get a walk. Tawny's order :)
Water yes, vitamins. I forget every now and again but I do take them. And today I got up at 9:45 which was the exact time set for my alarm. I will set it for 9:30 tomorrow.

Thanks for your input, definitely will try to find a schedule walk pattern.