I can't explain how having a cold reduce my anxiety and depression.

R

red10

Hello everyone

I'm new to the forums.

I've been diagnosed with anxiety disorders leading to chronic depression 2 years ago.
And i've been coping with these problems for 7 years now.
The starting point was having 5 to 6 panic attacks everyday for a whole week for no apparent reasons.

I've followed a cognitive therapy for a year that helped me a lot, giving me a lot of answers and methods on how to cope with these feelings and thoughts. It's still there though.

To summarise what my problems are: i overthink constantly and i have a hard time controlling it, i have a lot of body and metal tension somatically.
I experience things to a maximum of 10% of hapinness on a daily basis. Being at work triggers anxiety and depression and i feel a relief everytime i go home or on the weekends.

My question is: When i have a cold, the flu or any illness (swollen ankle works too) it tends to lower my symptoms that i described earlier,to me it seems that my unconcious focus on the illness and forget to trigger everything else.
I almost feel back to"normal" again.
When the illness is healed, depression and anxiety are striking again.

Has anyone experienced something similar to this? And is there any explanation ?

Thanks by advance.

TroubleinParadise

TroubleinParadise

As soon as I read the title I had a suspicion - that suspicion is that you are anxious due to a sense of responsibility towards everything; and that when you're sick that sense of responsibility fades. It fades because the responsibility is on getting better now - something you unconsciously know you can't control. For you getting sick is actually a break from life.

R

red10

Do you mean that in a way, i'm anxious about things that i have no control over?

TroubleinParadise

TroubleinParadise

I suspect that too - along with the overdeveloped sense of responsibility.

R

red10

I understand what you mean, i also wonder about biochemicals released when you are sick.

I've done thyroid tests that revealed nothing, blood results are good, eatings habits are ok.

One of my problem is to really accept that it's a mental problem and that it's not linked to anything else. I believe it strongly, but in a way i'm always trying to prove that it isn't.

TroubleinParadise

TroubleinParadise

Coming to terms with it is one of the most relieving things you could ever do - you almost feel guilty for being calm.

But calm is normal - a lot of functional & productive people feel calm.

R

red10

I had 2 weeks of "back to normal" last year. And each day, it gradually went down.

Maybe when axiety has a good grip, roles are reversed, being calm triggers anxiety, and you feel some kind of relief when you're back to it.