I can never let myself be happy??

M

Meemee

Hi! For a while now I have dealt with pretty bad anxiety, mainly worrying about my health. I have also dealt with OCD fairly recently however that is under control at the moment. I have realized that I can never let myself be happy. For instance, I obsess over a health problem, but when I finally start to get over it and feel calm again, I find something else to worry about, whether its my health or something else. I have an amazing family and boyfriend, friends, I go to uni and things should be great, but still I always have to be obsessing about something. Can anyone give me any advice about how to deal/ stop this, as I can remember the last time I was happy for more than a few days.
P.S I go to therapy but the sessions are so few and far between
Thank you!!

M

Meemee

Let's just hope your life is just a dispensary away from achieving just that.
I'm trying to avoid any medication if thats what you mean, as I am very sensitive to any side effects for some reason! Was just hoping there was another way to teach myself to be content.

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

i hope you find a way to be happy ,i hope we all do
you deserve to be happy ,everyone does

really wanted to welcome you to the forum
love Lu x

Cpt_Stunning

Cpt_Stunning

my hypnotherapist says that anxiety thinks it's protecting you when in reality it's not, you know consciously it's not right, but anxiety can't see that, it's irrational & not fully aware of what's right or wrong, & more importantly, not fully aware of the world as a whole whereas consciously we are.

OCD can be overcome, there's something in your subconscious mind that's learned that it's normal behaviour, you can unlearn it, & that's what CBT does, I took an intense CBT home course, you can do that, you have to look into it. Medication can mask anxiety & OCD, but not eliminate it, it's about learning new rational thinking & behaviours, & more importantly positive thinking.

Cpt_Stunning

Cpt_Stunning

Maybe your therapist could know about CBT, & could know how you could do it at home, the internet is so great now, maybe you could look at how you could do it on-line. I never wanted to do CBT, that's the last thing I wanted - apart from medication - because I didn't wanted to carry on seeing people, but there are pages on the net that explain it so well.

M

Meemee

my hypnotherapist says that anxiety thinks it's protecting you when in reality it's not, you know consciously it's not right, but anxiety can't see that, it's irrational & not fully aware of what's right or wrong, & more importantly, not fully aware of the world as a whole whereas consciously we are.

OCD can be overcome, there's something in your subconscious mind that's learned that it's normal behaviour, you can unlearn it, & that's what CBT does, I took an intense CBT home course, you can do that, you have to look into it. Medication can mask anxiety & OCD, but not eliminate it, it's about learning new rational thinking & behaviours, & more importantly positive thinking.
Thank you for your response! That does make sense, what you said about anxiety being irrational. I will mention CBT when I next see my therapist! Xx