I can’t take it anymore

H

hollie192

Hi, so I’m a 26 year old female living in the UK and have had social anxiety since I can remember but in my case it’s just getting worse as I get older. I have no friends but live with my boyfriend. I currently work from home and I am struggling so much to speak to my managers and clients. I have to go to London to meet them again on Wednesday and I’m have severe panic attacks about it. I feel like quitting my job. My mind goes blank when speaking to them and I can’t get my words out properly. I’m too anxious to even eat around them. How can I not feel so anxious when I meet them?

Thanks x

TroubleinParadise

TroubleinParadise

Hi Hollie,

Exposure therapy is normally a go to with these sort of things. Take it in steps, it'll get easier - it'll never be easy, but easier.

As Jordan Peterson said: "The goal is not to get rid of the anxiety, but to become tougher."

My therapist told me that the resilience I learn from my disorder can be applied to so many other aspects of my life.

H

hollie192

I know how u feel, social anxiety makes you a prisoner in your own home doesn't it …………………………………. :unsure:
It really does 😢 it’s honestly the worst
Hi Hollie,

Exposure therapy is normally a go to with these sort of things. Take it in steps, it'll get easier - it'll never be easy, but easier.

As Jordan Peterson said: "The goal is not to get rid of the anxiety, but to become tougher."

My therapist told me that the resilience I learn from my disorder can be applied to so many other aspects of my life.
thanks for replying. Everyone says it does get easier although I seem to find meetings harder the more I do them. For some reason the first meeting isn’t as bad for me but the more I get to know someone the more I’m convinced they will think I’m stupid/can’t do the job properly or just don’t like me in general :(

F

Fallingfromthetop

In your spare time practice your voice and exercise, it helps a lot.

You probably prepare a lot before this and have high standards for yourself? I would suggest try letting go off it a bit. Don't pick the perfect fit, pick the comfortable fit. Try and have a bit lower expectations on yourself. So what if you get blank, ask for a moment, pause relax, catch breathe, think what you wanna say. Try and be you as much as you can, don't start off being the perfect you at the first hand shake, try a more middle ground with lower expectations on yourself you don't have to make the best greatest impression, a decent good impression is enough. Don't focus on what you consider failures, most people won't remember them anyway, focus on what you did well in each situation instead and take pride on that.

Also try to stay away from the coffee it makes stress hormones way worse.