• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

I can’t stop running

emct

emct

I have suffered from an eating disorder in the past (bulimia later turned Anorexia) and will be going to therapy to continue treatment. Anyways I have been having a problem. I can’t stop running. I don’t know if it’s a symptom of ocd or my eating disorder worsening. I can’t stop running. It was a healthy coping mechanism that has now turned sour. I run for hours on end with no goal or anything. I have neglected my friends/family and school work just to run. I feel awful if I don’t run even if I’m sick I must do it. I don’t know how to stop it. Does anyone else relate or have any advice ? Thank you

TooMuchPain

TooMuchPain

Yup. I did lots of running from mental health. In the beginning it feels good and is a good coping mechanism. And then after a while the poor mental health issues start to resurface. So then you run more, and on and on. You are hiding from your problems when you do that much running. I did it too. Physical exercise is good but it won’t solve your problems.

My advice is that running is good. Maybe limit yourself to 5 or 10k. And make some time to face the reasons why you went running.