• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

"I believe you"- Openess in explanations of voice hearing.

R

Ricky B

I guess there are different explanations for hearing voices (ranging from chemical imbalances in the brain, to wire tapping by the CIA!, bad experiences in childhood or even the voices of angels and demons).

I guess what's even more important, though, is that we communicate with each other and try to see other people's views of why they hear voices. We need to say: 'I believe you. I believe what you're saying' rather than saying voices are delusions and false.

If we believe people, and take their voices and views into consideration, then it's more open and gives us a more human account of voice hearing.

God bless!

R

rabina

Re: "I believe you"- Openess in explanations of voice hearing.

I guess there are different explanations for hearing voices (ranging from chemical imbalances in the brain, to wire tapping by the CIA!, bad experiences in childhood or even the voices of angels and demons).

I guess what's even more important, though, is that we communicate with each other and try to see other people's views of why they hear voices. We need to say: 'I believe you. I believe what you're saying' rather than saying voices are delusions and false.

If we believe people, and take their voices and views into consideration, then it's more open and gives us a more human account of voice hearing.

God bless!

RickyB,

I couldn't agree more.

rabina

R

Ricky B

Re: "I believe you"- Openess in explanations of voice hearing.

Hi Rabina,

Yes, thanks. There are moves towards a more democratic psychiatry in recent times but our treatment still over- relies on powerful anti- psychotic medication.

You could even go so far as to say that we are perceived not as human beings but a collection of symptoms that need to be controlled as an illness and as delusions.

I guess it will take a good few years before people, like doctors or psychiatrists, start listening to us and taking into account our voices and our needs.

Thanks,
Ricky B