• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

I believe I may have been midiagnosed

A

Aliendood

Hello,

I'm 22 years old and have recently graduated from an Ivy League University. During my 1st year I began to feel depressed about my life which led to mediocre grades. I was struggling to find my identity and didn't like my current life, I was seriously overweight (215 pounds and I'm 5'7'.) My mother who has always been a bit of a hypochondriac freaked out and sent me for a diagnosis. The psychologist I saw said that I had ADHD. I have always been a bit hyperactive, but I never had any problems focusing or remembering things in class. The guy recommended that I take amphetamines, so I deferred to his professional opinion and did so.

My mood didn't improve and the amphetamines made me extremely jittery so i was sent to another psychiatrist and diagnosed as bipolar I. I was put lamictal and took it for a year. The drug just made me feel numb, and I stopped taking it 10mo ago but never told my doctor about it since I felt it was easier than dealing with her and my mom. I always filled my prescriptions and just left them there, I still have most of them. I've lost weight since and improved my confidence. I have never felt this normal and ok since high school.

I don't think I'm actually bipolar, and I wouldn't really care much about it until I graduated and started looking for jobs. I know that I should've communicated with my doctor better, and I do want to have a true and correct diagnosis, but I don't know how to approach this. My father recently lost his job and we no longer have insurance, so it's been difficult trying to find a doctor that I can talk to. What would your recommend?

S

suzy

I would suggest to make an appointment with a different doctor and be honest and say you have stopped the lamictal and how you feel.

I don't know what an Ivy league uni is, what country do you live in? It sounds like it must be a good uni, well done!

Insurance? I am guessing you are in America then, is there anyone else you can talk to in your mental health team?