• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

I am worried that the amount that I eat is too much

Purplesloth

Purplesloth

I am 20 years old and 5'3" feet and I feel like I'm an acceptable weight for me, no matter how many times my mother says I am underweight. I weigh half of the average for my age and height.

I rarely have any hunger signals. I just find it tiring to walk sometimes. I have very low energy and I am constantly tired. I don't know if this has to do with the amount I am eating or not, because in my mind I eat enough calories for how short I am and how much I weigh. Everyone is different, right? And everyone needs different calorie needs? How does anyone know that this is not the right intake for me?

I don't know if I should lower my intake or not. I feel guilty for eating because I do not feel hunger pains. I feel like if I was eating too little, then I should be dead by now? Or is it possible to live on this amount forever? As long as I am eating something, even, say, just a very limited amount of calories per day, is that enough to keep my body alive?

I just don't know what to do. I do not feel as if I have a problem, because I never feel hunger pains. I feel like if I was doing damage to myself my body would be much more obvious about it and try to send me hunger signals to get me to eat. But I do not have an appetite at all. If I was truly so unhealthy, shouldn't my body be shutting down by now?

I'm sorry if none of this is allowed to post. I just needed to tell someone all of this, even if I don't get any replies. I do not want to trigger anyone else's eating disorder by this post, so I am very sorry if it does. I just needed a place to get all of my thoughts out I guess.

jajingna

jajingna

Are you eating healthy foods that give your body the nourishment it needs? The body doesn't care about calorie numbers, it just wants to be healthy. Most of us are probably lacking in some nutrient or other, or getting too much of some others. Like omega 3 fats vs omega 6, and stuff like that. Too much processed food, unhealthy fats and sugars is ruining people's health too. The body needs plenty of healthy fats to function properly. It doesn't need many carbs but some veggies and some fruits are good. Protein shouldn't be a big issue if your eating well. It's good for mental health too, the brain does better when it is fed a decent diet.

P

Purpleplum

Hunger pangs can get turned off when in starvation mode...which you're in now. You're metabolism has slowed down to compensate for this. When it needs more energy it will then try to take it from it's existing fat or muscle. After that, it will go to your organs.

jajingna

jajingna

I think you need some good fats every day. That might give you more energy. Could be your hormones are out of balance?

scarecrow

scarecrow

Hey there, I'm sorry you're feeling this way. I think ultimately, a doctor would be the best person to advise you on how much to eat. If you're feeling weak, and people close to you are voicing their concerns, then that's a sign that something needs to change, and only a medical professional can point you in the right direction.

I know it can be hard to reach out for help, but I believe in you, and the rest of this thread does as well I'm sure. 🧡

Purplesloth

Purplesloth

I think you need some good fats every day. That might give you more energy. Could be your hormones are out of balance?
My weakness could just be a cause of not having enough fats in my diet then? If I was eating calories of more more fat-rich foods, then this would be a sustainable intake?
I do not know anything about my hormones. I have not had a menstrual period since January. I realize this might have something to do with hormones?
I just don't know how a doctor would be able to help me. They could look at me and see nothing wrong with me at all.

Purplesloth

Purplesloth

It would be a very difficult step for me to even attempt to see a doctor. I just can't imagine being able to do it.
I have very severe social anxiety and I only leave the house to go for walks, which I have only began to do very recently.
Up until last year I hadn't left my house for 4 years. I finished my last 3 years of schooling through a correspondence program because being at high school was too of an awful experience.

scarecrow

scarecrow

It would be a very difficult step for me to even attempt to see a doctor. I just can't imagine being able to do it.
I have very severe social anxiety and I only leave the house to go for walks, which I have only began to do very recently.
Up until last year I hadn't left my house for 4 years. I finished my last 3 years of schooling through a correspondence program because being at high school was too of an awful experience.
I understand that it's probably unnerving for you, especially if you have social anxiety, but I definitely think it would help you to see a professional. You mentioned that your mum was worried? Would she be able to take you to a doctor by any chance? She could vouch for you and help you get the information you need.

Purplesloth

Purplesloth

I understand that it's probably unnerving for you, especially if you have social anxiety, but I definitely think it would help you to see a professional. You mentioned that your mum was worried? Would she be able to take you to a doctor by any chance? She could vouch for you and help you get the information you need.
Yes, she is worried. It makes her very upset when she sees my body, but I feel like she is overreacting.
She also says I seem very apathetic and depressed. I do feel that way, but I have always hated myself and have have rarely found enjoyment in life. I have always been anxious and felt like there was no point to living.
I don't like that she is worried, but it it is possible she is just overreacting, isn't it?
I just do not know if I can make the step to see a doctor. It would be so out of the ordinary for me and unexpected.

JessisMe

JessisMe

Yes, she is worried. It makes her very upset when she sees my body, but I feel like she is overreacting.
She also says I seem very apathetic and depressed. I do feel that way, but I have always hated myself and have have rarely found enjoyment in life. I have always been anxious and felt like there was no point to living.
I don't like that she is worried, but it it is possible she is just overreacting, isn't it?
I just do not know if I can make the step to see a doctor. It would be so out of the ordinary for me and unexpected.
Help your Mom feel better and go to see a doctor. What have you got to lose? xo, j

scarecrow

scarecrow

Of course, I understand that it's hard. I think your mum cares about you though. Parents tend to come across as overreacting because they're the ones who care about you the most, and so they will say or do things that other people might try to avoid talking about. I know it may feel like your mum is too worried or making it a big deal, but I think her heart is in the right place, and she wants to do what's best for you.

At the very least, if you don't think you can reach out to a doctor yet, I think it would be worthwhile telling your mum how you're feeling and why you're nervous. You could even write her a note if you're worried about speaking. Chances are, she'd be delighted to help you out in any way she can. Health and diet is a very complicated issue and it's best to try and figure things out before you feel more unwell! 🧡

jajingna

jajingna

My weakness could just be a cause of not having enough fats in my diet then? If I was eating calories of more more fat-rich foods, then this would be a sustainable intake?
I do not know anything about my hormones.
Yeah, we need the fats (the healthy type) to help us regulate our hormones. Hormones regulate just about everything, they tell us when we're hungry or full, when it's time to sleep, they control growth, and lots more no doubt...

Fats also help our nervous system function better, which can help reduce any feelings of anxiety. They protect nerves and neurons. They also play a role in neurotransmitter communication. The gut apparently makes more neurotransmitters than the brain. Approx. 90% of serotonin I read somewhere, comes from the gut. So healthy gut bacteria is important too.

Insulin is the major hormone. It's like the boss. Insulin levels can get too high when we eat lots of sugars and carbs (which are all made up of sugar, but the ones with fiber in them --veggies and fruits -- tend to be OK, as the carbs break down more slowly leading to more gradual blood sugar changes).

Lots of people have high levels of insulin, which is the hormone that stores sugar aka glucose in the cells for energy.

When insulin levels are normalized, then you're in a healthier condition. Fats do not raise insulin levels, or just a tiny bit, so there's no up and down blood sugar changes from eating fats. Those ups and downs in blood sugar levels throughout the day cause spikes then crashes in energy levels. When people have too much glucose over many years the cells are damaged and start to refuse insulin (a common state called insulin resistance which is making so many people sick in the long run... and it eventually can lead to diabetes), so then the pancreas needs to produce more insulin to keep the blood glucose levels in a healthy range.

Insulin ensures our blood sugar levels remain in a very narrow range, like a teaspoon of sugar in the bloodstream after a period of fasting such as when you wake up in the morning. It is very strict about this. Normalizing insulin levels will help normalize the hunger hormone (ghrelin) and help the satiety or fullness hormone (leptin) to function properly too. Then you'll have proper communication going on for appetite. Getting these hormones normal is one key to better health and more energy.

Of course you need proteins too, and they have a moderate insulin response. If you're eating a decent diet you'll get a healthy amount of those.

M

Mary26

I lost my hunger signals in a relatively short period of time after extreme restriction but it certainly didn't mean I wasn't hungry, quite the opposite in fact.
Are you eating healthy foods that give your body the nourishment it needs? The body doesn't care about calorie numbers, it just wants to be healthy. Most of us are probably lacking in some nutrient or other, or getting too much of some others. Like omega 3 fats vs omega 6, and stuff like that. Too much processed food, unhealthy fats and sugars is ruining people's health too. The body needs plenty of healthy fats to function properly. It doesn't need many carbs but some veggies and some fruits are good. Protein shouldn't be a big issue if your eating well. It's good for mental health too, the brain does better when it is fed a decent diet.
I'm sorry but I would consider this dangerous advice for someone with an eating disorder.