I am worried my mental health is getting worse

K

Kev3328

Well first post here. I have been diagnosed with both depression and generalized anxiety disorder. For over a decade I had the condition under control until my doctor retired in July. At that point I was no longer able to get the medications I was taking which were Zoloft and Xanax. They were quite effective keeping anxiety and bad thought out of my head.

However as of lately I have developed a severe sense of what I can only describe as intense paranoia and constantly dwelling on negative thoughts. I wonder if I'm actually starting to go mad.

I'm no longer working although I have a job offer and I may lose it because of my mind. I have not slept in almost 40 hours. I am 32 living at my mom's house and my mental health is kind of ruining my life. My mother is getting sick of me. I find myself unable to leave the house specifically I've developed a massive fear of driving.

I'm hoping I am not crossing over to full blown mania. I do need medications in my opinion and I've reached a point where I don't know what to do . I've tried one group therapy session since my former doctor and got nothing out of it. I wish I could just snap out of it and get back to who I used to be . Hopefully I'll get some good advice here. Thanks for responding if any of you do

Victorianna

Victorianna

Hi, Kev. Going without sleep really messes up your coping abilities. Do you have a new doctor, since your old one retired? If Zoloft and Xanax helped (I’m on both these medicines, BTW, along with Ambien for sleep), did they say why you can’t be prescribed them anymore?

K

Kev3328

Hi, Kev. Going without sleep really messes up your coping abilities. Do you have a new doctor, since your old one retired? If Zoloft and Xanax helped (I’m on both these medicines, BTW, along with Ambien for sleep), did they say why you can’t be prescribed them anymore?
I do think it would be possible to get Zoloft back but I have been told that Xanax is addicting and not good for anxiety again despite the fact that it worked amazing for me

Victorianna

Victorianna

You should try to see a doctor, tell them what is happening, and see what they recommend. If Zoloft worked in the past, they probably would approve putting you back on that. As far as the anxiety, if they won’t approve Xanax, find out what they suggest.
You said you had your condition under control for a decade - that’s great! Now that you’re not doing well again, you and your doctor need to make a plan for you to get better.

J

Jules5

Withdraw from a Benzo-Ianax can be life long. Believe me I have researched this endlessly. It is like you will never be the same if you go off of Xanax.

My first hallucinations came when I cold turkey stopped Klonpine. (a benzo), It was horrible.
I had to after locking myself in my room for 5 weeks go back on them. I still had prescriptions left.

How does your stomach feel? That is where the withdraw hit me the worst after hallucinations a couple weeks into withdraw.

If you are having a hard time insist that your doctor research the withdraw side effects which can last a lifetime on Benzo's.
That is why I started back on klonpine now I reduced it to valium. My Therapist is very seasoned and all knowing how sick we can get on withdraw.

Just my anti anxiety meds throw me off if I get off them. almost as bad as the Benzo's if not worst.

K

Kev3328

I am working on finding a new doctor at this point and I'm hoping I can get back on my feet. I unfortunately have turned to drinking more alcohol to help calm my nerves now. Not ideal

Victorianna

Victorianna

Yeah, that (alcohol) can be counterproductive when dealing with anxiety.
Find a doctor - work on getting that done this week! It’s a priority.

K

Kev3328

I unfortunately do not have great insurance so even to find a primary care doctor there is a long wait to be seen locally.

J

Jules5

Even with great insurance Insurance companies are starting to stop paying for addictive drugs.