I am training to be a counsellor and have crushing social anxiety anyone have any tips or medications that can deal with this apart from therapy ?

R

Ryann90

Always been anxious really have had low mood and experienced drug induced psychosis at 21 I am 28 now and training to be a counsellor but I am freaking out with clients I’m getting palpitations, head zaps, adrenaline surges, twitches you name it I get it I haven’t run out of a session yet and have my own therapy on the side but I don’t think it’s helping I feel I need a medication if I am to ever be able to do my dream job. I also came out of a abusive relationship a few months ago which went on for two years that defiantly has made my anxiety worse. I just want to feel normal again!!

ScaredCat

ScaredCat

Hi. i am sorry you are finding things so difficult. I do think you need to seriously consider whether you are up to having clients at the moment. I dont want to sound harsh but from what you are saying how you are may be impacting you in the counselling room. I say this because i am in counselling and i think i would find it difficult to feel 'safe' with you Have you discussed this with your own therapist. You need to focus on you

R

Ryann90

Yeah been discussing it in therapy myself and have determined that medication and a break might Be the best option a the moment

ScaredCat

ScaredCat

Just wondering if you have any other support other than your therapist. Have you spoken to your doctor about medications

R

Ryann90

Yeah my doctor is well aware of this and has suggested some medications I’m just not adement that it will fix me

ScaredCat

ScaredCat

Think it is usually a combination of things that can help, eg meds, therapy, support etc. Hope i dont say wrong thing

F

Fallingfromthetop

Exercise really helps.

How many sessions you had? It doesn't get better over time?

For meds beta blockers help and are more or less without side effects.

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

The right medication can really reduce the symptoms you describe. I'm not a medical professional, I don't know your diagnosis but I would consider an antidepressant/anti-anxiety treatment. Just to roll back the symptoms a little so you're not using so much energy to resist them.

D

DyingUpInHere

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Seven billion and counting. Who needs me? No one besides my mother. And she doesn't have the power to change my perception of things anymore. I see things moving ahead regardless of what she does. Everyone is steam rolling over us. Or at least me. But that's the usual. I don't know what I'm waitingfor anymore. It's time.