• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

I am only getting a few hours sleep each night!

W

white-witch

Since moving here last year my sleep is terrible I am only getting a few hours each night and it is now starting to really get to me. I go to bed usually about 11pm and by 2 -2.30 I am awake and unable to get back to sleep - so I get up and make a cup of tea (wrong I know) have a cig or 10 and then try to go back to bed - it never works and up I get again. So now everyday by about 1 -2 pm I am totally and utterly knackered.

I use to live in a village, but on the main street that ran through, and so there was constant traffic throughout the night and yet I slept OK, now I live in a very quiet cul-de-sac with no traffic whatsoever and I cannot sleep. I also was not happy where I use to live and I love where I am now, at the seaside but still cannot sleep. I lived for a time with a guy who live along the coast from me and I slept great there and put it down the the 'sea air' now I have that again and cannot sleep.

I have read about sleep hygiene and tried but it is not happening. I get 14 Zopiclone a month and admit I take them 2 at a time for 7 nights and even then I only get maybe 1 hour extra.

Can anyone please help. I have a long drive ahead today and although I would not do it if I did not feel safe I am not happy feeling so tired and knowing I have a long drive back.

Any ideas, suggestions, over the counter meds? anything. I once in the past took a combo of OTC sleeping pill and some type of flu/cough mixture and slept for 16 hours but that was no doubt dangerous and I want to avoid going that route again if I can.:cry2::cry2::cry2:

Thanx in advance.

Take care xx

C

caz78

Former member
Hi there,

This is one question I have been battling with for years so maybe some of what i do may help?

My problem is not staying asleep but falling asleep in the first place. I got into the bad habit of smoking cannabis to help me sleep and now 15 years later i am constantly trying to give it up. Stupid cos i get off it, go through the sleepless weeks, start sleeping better, then fall of the wagon again. Stupid, stupid stupid.

Zopiclone never worked for me, melatonin did a bit. Spent a fortune on an overpriced little box that shines a blue light on ceiling which fades in and out and you match your breathing to it. Didn't do a thing. In desperation one night i threw something over my digital alarm clock to block the small amount of light it gives off, asleep in a couple of hours hmmmmm. My son needs the landing light on, maybe that could be a problem too. well, i got a sleep mask and would you believe I sleep so much better i couldn't stop raving about it. Still on the cannabis but that's my own stupidity, can't even sleep with that now unless i have my trusty sleep mask.

Give it a go, for a few quid, it may just help. x

C

caz78

Former member
Oh and one other thing. I know it sounds old hat but a hot milky drink really does help. Hot choc for me : )I have tested all these things and the drink and mask made a big difference to me. Must try giving up the c again.... Of course we are all different but you never know. You are also quite right to get up and then go back to bed. The worst thing you can do is lie there waiting for sleep. x

prairiechick

prairiechick

Former member
Hey Belbac,

I'm sorry you are having so much trouble sleeping. During my worst period of insomnia when I was getting between 2-4 hours a night, I would get so stressed about not being able to fall asleep. I was living in dorm at university, and had a roommate, so I couldn't exactly get up, so I started to tell myself that if I could just relax lying there in bed, it would be better than stressing about not sleeping. So I would just lie there quietly, focusing on my breathing, and sometimes I would actually end up falling asleep for a few more hours. Of course, I realize this may not work for you, but it's worth a try.

Just a question--what meds are you on right now? Maybe you need your meds adjusted? Right now, in adition to quetiapine and trazodone I also take between 7.5 mg-15 mg zopiclone. Right now I don't think I'd get much sleep without the zoppies. I hope that you will find something that works for you, because it is pure torture to not be able to sleep.

C

caz78

Former member
And she thinks of another one, am on a roll lol. When my son was a toddler he went through a phase of waking at 4am every night. We did something called 'wake to sleep' It sounds crazy but i tried it when I was going through a spell of the same. If you wake at 2-2.30 regularly, set your alarm for 1.30. This will hopefully rouse you from a deep sleep so you just hit the off button and nod back off (hopefully) and as you have disturbed your sleep cycle you shouldn't wake again for a while. anythings worth a try eh. If it works do it for 4/5 nights but no longer or you will re set your body to wake at 1.30 and you don't want that! And another idea is to set yourself regular sleeping hours that are less than you require. Say you want to sleep 11-7 you stay up as late as you comfortably can say 1am, but you MUST get up at 7. By doing this you will be telling your body you need to get up at 7 and hopefully you will feel tired a bit earlier each day until you establish a regular pattern. Basically you get tired out and your body gives up and goes to sleep lol. I found this worked when i was lying awake for hours then oversleeping in the morning to compensate. That's what you don't want to do ; ) Really hope one of these ideas works for you ad sorry for sooo many posts I just keep thinking of the things i tried then i remember another x

bobshocker

bobshocker

Former member
Any ideas, suggestions, over the counter meds? anything. I once in the past took a combo of OTC sleeping pill and some type of flu/cough mixture and slept for 16 hours but that was no doubt dangerous and I want to avoid going that route again if I can.:cry2::cry2::cry2:

Thanx in advance.

Take care xx

My wife told the pcdoc that I was doing the same as you with zoplicone, so that put paid to that.

"Night all One" a night works a bit, 3 of them and a bottle of wine, it gets you off, but you might wake early. Night Nurse works too.

we all do the wrong things. Fags dont help, theyll just keep you awake.

Why don't you goto bed at 2am (watch a movie or something) and see how that works?

C

Celtic Class

The problem is the bipolar - so basically most of the 'advice' is suspect. I am new to ac knowledging I have a majpr psychiatric illness but oh the years of being awake, trying to fall asleep. I would try anything to get to sleep - sometimes still do. What Bob says is right. If your mental state gets more balanced, it shd be easier. Think you need to talk to your GP, CPN and or Psychiatrist. We all need to seek balance - if you do not have it your Psych needs to know. Those around us no little of the hell that is no sleep.

W

white-witch

Thanks so much for the replies and the many suggestions...much appreciated.

I am seeing my CPN in morning and will tell her what is happening and see if an appointment can be arranged with the pdoc. Although in the past my last pdoc would not 'up' my dose of Zopiclone 'because it is addictive' weird because I use to be on 15 mg every night for a long time and then went down to 7.5 every night and then 7.5 every other night...so addictive or not I have been on Zopiclone for a long time and I did use to abuse it bad in the past but don't get enough now and I am in a totally different state of mind and would not abuse again.

Hi caz,

Some good ideas there to try...cheers. Will try the setting alarm and waking up an hour before usual that sounds like it may well work x

Hi sg,

Yes def need a med adjustment and will ask CPN tomorrow for referral to pdoc. I really am not good at relaxing and have spent much of my life like a 'coiled spring' laying and trying to relax is impossible for me and I get more worked up the more I try...lol.

Thanks bob and Offmyheid - it is one of the worst things not sleeping and if it happens when I am depressed, which it always does, I tend to start self-medicating with any and everything to try to sleep. I am not depressed at the moment but think it may well be triggered if I do not start getting a good, long regular nights sleep - that or mania!

I'll let you know the outcome of anything I try.

Take care xx

megirl

megirl

Do you journal or have a diary?
I have (and still should be using it) found this useful just to briefly jot down your mood and how things have been for the day or what have you.
I agree milky milo/hot chocolate does help. Also make sure you arent hungry before you go to bed.
Have you tried any form of relaxation techniques, or hypnotherapy.
By hypnotherapy I have a cd that is based on hypnotherapy techniques. It focuses your brain to kind of visualise your body and clear your mind.

Hope your sleep improves

W

white-witch

Hi megirl,

Thanks for the reply and I will be trying all the good suggestions given.

I must say a big thank you to caz78 for the wake to sleep suggestion - it is working :clap::clap: and for the last two nights I have set my alarm for 1.30 woke up switch it off and slept for another 5 hrs and that is so brilliant I am so, so grateful. I am getting 2 hours, switching off alarm, and getting approx another 5 hours so last night went to bed at 11 woke with alarm at 1.30 and back to sleep until 6.15 - so 6 3/4 hours sleep and I feel so much better. I told my CPN about this and she had heard of the wake to sleep, but do not think she had been suggesting that to people - she will now I am sure.

Fingers crossed it works for a couple more nights and somehow my clock is re-set and then if not I will be trying everything else.

SO BIG THANKS CAZ78 - ITS BRILL AND I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND TO TO OTHERS.

Take care xx

C

caz78

Former member
Woo hoo fantastic news hun : )

Thanks so much for the message, its really made my morning to know my advice has helped. Just rang my hubby to brag lol.

Got the idea from a woman called the baby whisperer who is sadly dead now, from skin cancer i think it was, but she had so much great advice on helping babies to sleep that made the world of difference with my son that i thought i don't see why it wouldn't work for grown ups too ; )

With any luck you'll be sleeping like a baby soon lol x

rasselas.redux

rasselas.redux

Former member
glad the wake to sleep regime has worked for you, belblac. will be giving it a go myself this coming week as insomnia has returned for another round of exasperated nights.

W

white-witch

Hi ras,

Yes, it worked lovely for 2 nights. Unfortunately, last night I fouled it up by sleeping for a few hours during the day - going to bed at 8.30 am after drinking far too much tea and then when I woke with the alarm at 1.30 I had already had about 4 hrs sleep and really needed to get up to wee. So I woke up, woke up and got a drink and a cig or 10 and here I am - awake. I will however, continue with this method tonight again and make sure I do not go to bed until 10 or so and also not drink lots of tea before doing so.

I guess you need to have the conditions correct in order for the method to work, just those 2 good nights have helped so much and I am looking forward to a few more. I hate, with a passion being, awake at this time in the morning it is when I am at my most negative!

Take care xx

rasselas.redux

rasselas.redux

Former member
I don't mind being awake. I just don't like what it does to my face and my equanimity to not sleep.

I've just watched this Morrissey Hollywood Bowl {Complete Film}{HQ 2007} - YouTube

which was fundamentally a mistake, as it got me going, in all the wrong ways, as far as sleep is concerned.

I actually prefer the night-time. Such a pity it's not possible to get much done in a practical sense. I also like the daytime, just not around here anymore. The locals depress me. It might be I'm projecting something into their faces, something of my own disgruntlement. Or they really are utterly dejected and plodding with silent terror to their deaths.

Ah. Maybe you're right. Maybe the negativity does climb a few notches...

K

Katss

Former member
In one way rass hee hee, thinking on the same kinda levels here also, not funny but yo know what you mean.... yet could it be the depression talking?
have just now witnessed a dog attack a man quite horrendeously, and it has shaken one to the core???? was just thinking how nice it might be to get a dog too..... did I project, hardly, yet somehow seems that way?

OMG seriously am F**** trtaumatised by seeing the dog attack, my worst nightmare and couldn't do anything? its horrible, what can I do?

Poppyshakespere

Last edited by a moderator: