• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

I am officially out of options.

Viceguard

Viceguard

I've taken many, many drugs in all the psychotropic classes and have undergone close to 3 years of talk therapy, yet none of this has helped to any noteworthy degree. I've run out of options quite frankly. I can either go on lithium, which means regular blood tests and a risk of toxicity, or I can get electroconvulsive therapy, which means possible memory loss and other nasty side effects (tremors, headaches, etc.).

Here are some reasons why I'm currently leaning toward ECT:

I'm a little bit worried that the lithium might make me so "content" or "happy" that I will be left with absolutely no motivation to change. I'm fat and need to lose weight, so if lithium increases appetite then I certainly hope it has a motivating effect as well to help get me on that treadmill. I don't want to be "happy" with the way things are. I want to be "happy" and motivated enough to change the way things are (meet people, get a girlfriend, get off SSI, get a job, etc.) if you follow me.

Basically, I don't want to be an emotionally stable, apathetic zombie for the rest of my life.

My doctor thinks ECT is the best treatment, and I'm inclined to agree. The risk/reward ratio for ECT is better than the alternative in my opinion. I might suffer memory loss, tremors, and things like this initially, but in the long run I think it will be worth it. My only real fear is that the anesthesia used during ECT sessions might kill me. I'd have the same fear going into any surgical procedure, mind you.

Still, I need others' opinions. Which option should I choose? And, for those of you who have gone through either lithium treatment or electroconvulsive therapy (or witnessed it), what should I expect?

Any questions for me just ask.

Thanks so much.

masked_parade

masked_parade

Hi Viceguard,
I haven't had either of those two treatments, lithium or ECT so I hope you don't mind me replying. I just wanted to say that I hope you come to the decision which is best for you and I hope it helps. Good Luck :)