• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I am living more and more in a fantasy world

K

Kalperrin

I have had an awkward life from the start; abusive parents to some extent, a lot of moving around, no friends to associate with and an overworking brain that needs constant feeding with knowledge. To deal with my life I seemed to have started to think about what my life would be like if things were different; at the start if I had gone to different schools, had different parents, lived in a different part of the world. After a while it got more and more unrealistic such as super powers, massive amounts of money, government abduction and all sorts. as the fantasies get more elaborate and as more time goes on I feel as if the worlds I have made up in my mind are true. I don't take money serious because one day soon I will have billions but in reality and getting more and more in debt. I stare for hours at objects waiting to be able to move them with my mind. I am afraid one day I won't come back to reality. These days when I do get a reality check I feel depressed sometimes even suicidal at the thought my life is actually awful and not the fantasy I have made for myself. I want to know if this is a common thing and if there is a way to bring myself back to the real world more permanently, and to stop being disappointed with my life as it is.

fate_w_g

fate_w_g

Have you been to see a doctor?

I think you need to talk to a professional and get on some meds.

I went through a patch like this before I got the help I needed.

*autumn*

*autumn*

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Welcome to the forum kalperrin. :hi:

Stick around, it's a great place to be.

sprinkles

D

Deliah

Hello, I used to live very much in fantasy. I though I was a witch at one point (a good one). I thought I had powers. I thought I had the power to stop milk going off. I thought that other people could see that I had special powers, that I stood out. I would nurture an imaginary child on my shoulder, whilst an imaginary grandfather took the child from me. I felt protective of the child.

I tell you this because these things are very much past for me and I now live mostly in reality. I practice mindfulness, it keeps me present and not living in my imagination. I recommend it for you. We have the capacity to change what we do. When we live mindfully we become aware of the gifts in life which are unavailable to us all the time we are creating situations which don't exist. love to you D xxxx

Last edited:
katya

katya

Hello and :welcome:

Sounds like you've created a totally understandable coping mechanism you've had from an early age - escaping in your mind - and you're struggling to let go of it. The advice I would offer has already been given - I think you need to see a doctor, especially if you're becoming scared about your mental state, i.e., what you'll be like in the future. It'll help you to let go of this coping mechanism.

Wish you all the best.