• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

I am happy with my life... Except one thing.

T

tycho350

Generally, I am a happy and appreciative person, I take joy out of the little things and I love living. I have hobbies and I am quite a confident person. There isn't too many things I have to worry about. I have an ok job, so I do not struggle financially. I have a girlfriend that loves me to bits. Me and her live in a nice flat. I am 24 and she is 25. We visit places, eat out, and live well. We are a non-judgemental couple who knows how hard life can get and we understand. Except all this, the only problem I have is my family.

My mother... my father... and my brother.

My mother's mother was never a family person, and now my mum's the same. She is a good person, but all she cares is herself and she does not take any child responsibilities well. She always, literally always looks at the negative sides of my life and never commends for nothing. I don't know if she is just jealous that I do well. She sometimes compares me to my father, I never gave her a reason to. It's not fair, I shouldn't be suffering for my father's mistakes.

So, my father. Well my father did cheat on my mother a few times. He never respected her, he hit her, he was a mad man. I always said I will never be like him, he is a loser. I have stopped speaking to him four years ago. Our communication stopped, I think he never actually cared neither did I. I never needed THAT kind of father anyway so that's about it.

YET, all this is nothing compared to my brother who causes me most distress and worry. I forgot to mention that I allow him to stay with me and my girlfriend in our flat. Let me tell you this, he doesn't do anything except drink. He doesn't care about his future, doesn't have a job, he just generally doesn't give shit. All he does is cause trouble. He is a one angry, mad individual. He doesn't take any criticism and is paranoid about everything. I can't stand his negativity and hostility. I want him out, I need him out! It impacts my and my girlfriends life. We are not his parents. I have discussed it with him a few months back and he knows he needs to move out in a months time, but I don't think he realises how serious it is for him. He doesn't even bother to look for a job. I am worried that I will have to kick him out with force because I do not want to be stuck with him for the rest of my life. I've already had enough. I am scared to say anything to him because he instantly gets angry. He needs to go by August 2018.

What do I do, I don't know. Even if you tell me to man up and tell him to get the F out, it is still going to be helpful because nobody said it to me before. I am alone with this. My brother is old enough to realise that his future is in his hands, I do not understand how he just doesn't care about it. I am on my own ever since I turned 17. Overall it's all good except this stuff that's really overwhelming. I only wanted to help him by taking him in when our mother was kicking him out, but now it seems like I am paying for it and nobody else gives a fuck. I have no obligations to him, yet he thinks otherwise.

Thank you for reading. I do appreciate it. I don't do this often, actually had a few beers, maybe that's why.

God bless.

M

MrHamilton

You wanted it, and I am more than happy too give it, TELL HIM TO GET THE FUCK OUT, you definitely sound like a wonderful young man, I know it's hard to turn on family, but it really sounds like you have a promising relationship with your girlfriend. As someone who has been the dick that your brother is being, please think about yourself and your happiness in the future rather than him.

T

tycho350

Haha! Thank you. This do actually mean a lot to me. Gives me courage. I knew I will have to do it at the end of the day, but all this confirms it. Appreciated.

C

Carlb232

Yeah, he needs to get out. It will be the best thing for him. Honestly, he needs to have this happen for his life to become better. This will force him to have to get a job. You have a life with your girlfriend. Don't screw that up because of your brother. You are in no way responsible for taking care of him. This will force him to have to do something about his life. I'm sorry to say that is the harsh reality of what needs to happen. Live your life, I assume you have friends? Well friends are the family you choose to have. Good luck

L

LittleRedRidingHood

Please do not underestimate how important your own well being is. Lots of us are on this forum because we put other people's needs before our own, at the expense of our own well being.. eventually we burnt out.
Your home should be somewhere you can relax, recharge and enjoy.. if it isn't you risk becoming mentally ill.