• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I am curious about Europe and want to make friends to cure my anxiety

J

jersos

Even when I started to learn the alphabets, I loved to read maps and point out the countries of the world. I love cultures, people from different countries, foods, diversity, festivals, songs of different regions, traditions and customs. I love to travel.

I have watched some travel shows and I find that Europe comes to my heart the closest. They have so many well maintained museums, art galleries and fun things. I would love to meet Europeans from all countries and know about their country better. I also love to learn languages so if you can teach me your language, I will be very happy. Hopefully I feel less alone and it solves my anxiety and fear.

I am trying to change myself with all the good things I can do to myself. This is just a request, if you think it's not the right place, I'll delete my post.

I just wish people accept me for who I am and I'm not judged for my country and race (I have heard racial slurs and country shaming. Yeah I have endured all that.)

bpd2020

bpd2020

I am really sorry you have experienced racial slurs and being shamed for being from India. Have you tried looking for friendship sites? Often they are full of people who would love to chat about different countries and cultures.

AlwaysinCrown

AlwaysinCrown

There're many penpal sites, there're people looking for friends, both e-mail or snail mail ones.

Talina

Talina

Forum Safety Team
Myself love traveling to see the different culture and meet different people, but mostly just to experience different things. I want to fix my social aniexty, so it don’t restrict me when I want to travel. I would totally love learning more language but I have trouble with language and a slow learner. I might just try to learn my mother’s language because I want to be able to understand more than just asking for directions or how to say no in different ways. Maybe I should try learning danish and norwegian because it’s easy to understand when reading and I just need to understand better when they talk. Swedish is quite close with Danish and norwegian language.

Myself have a small bucket list on places I will visit at least once during my life time. It’s quite fun looking things up and just planning on the things I want to experience and places you have to visit ☺

But you can try penpal sites and see if you find a few friends 💕

AlwaysinCrown

AlwaysinCrown

Eh, if you want to visit any European countries, I can recommend you Poland, Croatia, Slovenia, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Norway, Iceland, Italy, Spain or Portugal.
I think the easiest languages to learn are Italian and Spanish.

J

jersos

I am really sorry you have experienced racial slurs and being shamed for being from India. Have you tried looking for friendship sites? Often they are full of people who would love to chat about different countries and cultures.
Is that a real thing? Never knew about it before! Do you recommend any sites specifically?

And don't worry about my condition. With nice people like you all, I feel safe and secure! Stay blessed!

J

jersos

Eh, if you want to visit any European countries, I can recommend you Poland, Croatia, Slovenia, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Norway, Iceland, Italy, Spain or Portugal.
I think the easiest languages to learn are Italian and Spanish.
Ah that's a nice list! I loved your country Poland (from what I saw from videos) especially Warsaw, Krakow, Zakopane, Olsztyn and Torun. I love your country but your language is equally tough. I wonder how people learn it and speak it. However, I'd like to give it a try!

The other countries are also super beautiful. I'm especially curious about Norway, Iceland and Denmark. I'd also like to visit Switzerland's small villages and the Alpine villages of Tyrol, Austria.

J

jersos

Myself love traveling to see the different culture and meet different people, but mostly just to experience different things. I want to fix my social aniexty, so it don’t restrict me when I want to travel. I would totally love learning more language but I have trouble with language and a slow learner. I might just try to learn my mother’s language because I want to be able to understand more than just asking for directions or how to say no in different ways. Maybe I should try learning danish and norwegian because it’s easy to understand when reading and I just need to understand better when they talk. Swedish is quite close with Danish and norwegian language.

Myself have a small bucket list on places I will visit at least once during my life time. It’s quite fun looking things up and just planning on the things I want to experience and places you have to visit ☺

But you can try penpal sites and see if you find a few friends 💕
I like your country and especially Greta Thunberg. Sweden has so much to offer, honestly. I never had a friend from Sweden before. I heard that they are shy people and don't like to talk much. Well, I'm like that as well.

Danish, Norwegian and Swedish are similar because they are all Germanic languages. The difference is with Finnish, which is a completely separate language. Have you traveled to other countries? Can you tell me about the countries you traveled? Which ones did you like the most?

Talina

Talina

Forum Safety Team
I like your country and especially Greta Thunberg. Sweden has so much to offer, honestly. I never had a friend from Sweden before. I heard that they are shy people and don't like to talk much. Well, I'm like that as well.

Danish, Norwegian and Swedish are similar because they are all Germanic languages. The difference is with Finnish, which is a completely separate language. Have you traveled to other countries? Can you tell me about the countries you traveled? Which ones did you like the most?
Swedish people can sometimes be hard befriending because we like our personal space.

I haven’t traveled that much I’ve been to Norway, Germany, Denmark, France, Italy, Netherland, Uk and Belgian. I’ve also been doing trips in Sweden.

But I love france, specially walking around in paris among the streets. It’s a beautiful city also italy will give this feeling. You should visit or do a trip outside the big popular cities in italy, they have many beautiful towns.

While denmark becomes just a novellty when traveling. Norway that’s a place to hike and experience the nature. While myself liked going around to the different pubs in uk, it was quite different to what I was used to.

So myself haven’t truly travelled that much compared with my siblings and parents have done. But france is a favorite among my siblings and Greece in europe while outside europe it will be different countries most of my elder siblings enjoy thailand. The Usa didn’t get that much love from my family 🤣

While myself have only been to the Philippines when we go outside Europe. But I always manage to get sick when I travel to the philippines and meet relatives.

I’m not a person that go for the night life, which my little brother do. I enjoy more going to cafe, eating different food, visiting places to see and museum. So I’m the boring person among my siblings 😅

ipanema

ipanema

Even when I started to learn the alphabets, I loved to read maps and point out the countries of the world. I love cultures, people from different countries, foods, diversity, festivals, songs of different regions, traditions and customs. I love to travel.

I have watched some travel shows and I find that Europe comes to my heart the closest. They have so many well maintained museums, art galleries and fun things. I would love to meet Europeans from all countries and know about their country better. I also love to learn languages so if you can teach me your language, I will be very happy. Hopefully I feel less alone and it solves my anxiety and fear.

I am trying to change myself with all the good things I can do to myself. This is just a request, if you think it's not the right place, I'll delete my post.

I just wish people accept me for who I am and I'm not judged for my country and race (I have heard racial slurs and country shaming. Yeah I have endured all that.)
So sorry you have experienced xenophobia from Europeans! Actually there is a lot of xenophobia going around between europeans.
The truth is tourism has increased largely in the last few years, and for example if I enter a “famous” café, I get talked to in english. In my own country :rolleyes: But I don’t mind much, it is great for the economy and travelling is one of the biggest pleasures in life.

I’ve never visited Eastern Europe, but every country is magical. A lot of culture, natural beauty, if you love history I totally recommend to check on museums here.

I am myself learning Dutch, I find that Duolingo helps, but taking classes is the best choice. Even if on YouTube! The easiest are Spanish and probably French. Portuguese is tricky - every Portuguese knows Spanish but rarely (I think) a Spanish knows Portuguese. Italian is also a romantic and Latin language so it is probably easy to learn with these 3.
Germanic languages are familiar with English. But still really tough (in my opinion).

jajingna

jajingna

I haven’t traveled that much I’ve been to Norway, Germany, Denmark, France, Italy, Netherland, Uk and Belgian. I’ve also been doing trips in Sweden.
So, actually you have traveled a lot, way more than most people. But maybe Europe is easy to get around. I have a friend in Sweden who has seen a few countries near there. I'm from a remote part of Canada. Traveling is not easy over here, and many people have never left Canada in their lives. I spent years in Asia in several countries.

Not many people in my hometown/province seem to know much about foreign countries though, because every other country is far away from here. The USA is not too far but still a costly trip. Otherwise you'd need to cross an ocean to see a different country. So I guess we're not the most worldly lot here, it's kind of a monoculture where I live.

Talina

Talina

Forum Safety Team
So, actually you have traveled a lot, way more than most people. But maybe Europe is easy to get around. I have a friend in Sweden who has seen a few countries near there. I'm from a remote part of Canada. Traveling is not easy over here, and many people have never left Canada in their lives. I spent years in Asia in several countries.

Not many people in my hometown/province seem to know much about foreign countries though, because every other country is far away from here. The USA is not too far but still a costly trip. Otherwise you'd need to cross an ocean to see a different country. So I guess we're not the most worldly lot here, it's kind of a monoculture where I live.
When I say not traveling a lot I compare myself with my friends and other people I’ve run into. It’s quite cheap travling at least I could fix 50% discount on flying tickets. The further I’ve traveled to is the philippines.

I would say Canda and USA are huge countries which maybe make people not traveling outside. But it’s quite common with people traveling in Sweden. I’ve had a few great talks with people that have done back-packing in Usa, europe and so on.

It can also be the prices, I can take a ferry and I can be in denmark or germany under the cost of 100$, a train trip from my place to norway is just a bit over 3 hours. So maybe european travel more than other countries. But I’m quite interest with traveling and seeing things, my whole family also have this habit. I would love to do a trip by train through countries in europe 😊

It can also people are more open and like travling more.

N

Nukelavee

Which part of Newfoundland are you in, btw?

I'm in SW Ontario, which, for Canada, is pretty densely populated, plus, I'm a half hour from the US border. PErsonally, I've been as far east as Quebec City, and all the way west to BC. Lot of time spent in the US, and a few trips to Holland and Belgium.

but, yeah, many Europeans are amazed at just how vast our country is.

jajingna

jajingna

I'm a small town guy in central NL. Course they're all small towns beside St John's I guess that qualifies as a city, at least for this province.

Not sure what's amazing about the vastness of Canada, but yeah it is huge. I guess you'd need to live here or visit to really notice that. Keeps the costs high I guess, having to ship products long ways.

jajingna

jajingna

european travel more
I'd guess so because of the geography. I met lots of people from Europe when I lived abroad and met many expats from all over the world. Of course they were the traveling types, already in a faraway country. Often they spoke multiple languages too, which not everybody can. I learned a little bit of Korean after years there, that was not easy to speak properly.