• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I actually opened up to my counsellor a bit today

J

Jisatsu

She got me to make a time line and put some things that happened in my life that were significant perhaps to me and then got me to talk about them because I was having trouble actually talking.

It worked I guess and I ended up crying even though I promised myself I wouldn't and I hate crying infront of friends let alone my counsellor.. I'm thinking of going back to see my GP not next week but the week after because I'm finding it hard to cope inbetween sessions and she told me to see her and keep her up to date.

What should I say to my GP?

lal10

lal10

Well done for opening up :clap: that's a great first step!

Don't worry about crying, I find expressing emotions difficult too but they expect it and it is therapeutic to let go even though it may not feel like it at first.

When you see your GP just be honest, tell them what happened during your session, how it made you feel at the time and since then, whatever you feel you need to say. I wish I could be more honest with my GP, I find it much easier with my counsellor, although I've only got 2 sessions with my current one before I have to see a new one and I hate the thought of it as I hated my last one but really feel comfortable with my current one, it feels like i'll have to start all over again :( I've always had anxiety about seeing doctors, it prevents me from opening up or going at all, but if you can just be honest and if it helps write things down before you go in, it really will pay off in the long run.

Best of luck
Lal
xx