• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I Actually Had Fun Yesterday!

valleygirl

valleygirl

Having fun is such a rare occurrence for me these days that I have to start a thread about it.

I went to my 5-year-old nephew's birthday party yesterday at the lake. I was a bit nervous about going, and meeting some of my sister's friends, worried that I wouldn't be able to hold a proper conversation, but I actually managed okay. But the best part of the day was hanging out with all the kids. Other than my nephews, I didn't know any of the children, but they warmed up to me pretty quickly. I worked in child care for 8 years, and now I'm not working while I'm in university (studying Early Childhood Education). Being with all those children yesterday made me realize how much I've missed being with kids every day. I just forget myself when I am with young children, and become completely absorbed in their world.

I have to admit, though, that my 21 month old nephew is my favourite. And my sister gave me the greatest compliment that anyone could give me in saying that she wished I could be a nanny to her children 3 days a week in the fall when she goes back to work. When I get depressed I can really start to question myself, and think I'm no good with kids and on and on and on. So it was a real boost to my self esteem when she said that. It won't work, though, because I'll be in school full time again in the fall, plus doing my practicum.

AliceinWonderland

AliceinWonderland

Admin
That's lovely valleygirl, thanks for sharing that. I'm so glad the experience, and your sister's wish, gave you more confidence in yourself, good for you x

nonotme

nonotme

gongrats :)

if anyone knows how to have fun please let me know.

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

I'm very happy for you. It goes to show that sometimes we cause our own self doubts. Your more than capable.