• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

I’ve tried CBT a bunch of times and it ticks me off

G

Ginger Kitten

Thank you so much!
You're quite welcome, Stevie Sloth. Whereabouts are you in Aus (please be vague!)? My brother lives in Melbourne and has done for 40 years. He's far more Australian than English now! (Though we are both half-Welsh anyway!) Kind regards, Ginger.

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

A
You're quite welcome, Stevie Sloth. Whereabouts are you in Aus (please be vague!)? My brother lives in Melbourne and has done for 40 years. He's far more Australian than English now! (Though we are both half-Welsh anyway!) Kind regards, Ginger.
Ah! My hometown is Melbourne! (Brighton) I love it and miss it, as I haven't been able to visit for 2 years thanks to Covid. 😪 I live on the Gold Coast now.

G

Ginger Kitten

I went to Brighton beach once! Though I don't really remember it well now, as I went 30 years ago. I thought Melbourne was a lovely, vibrant city, but equally I loved Sydney, for its cosmopolitan, energetic atmosphere. I haven't visited my brother in years - maybe something for me to think about when the pandemic finally recedes. How are you enjoying the Gold Coast, btw? I went to Cairns and visited the coral reef, many years ago when it was allowed. Have a wonderful week. Very best wishes, Ginger.

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

@Ginger Kitten Yay, Brighton Beach! That's right near me! (when I lived there. Up until 2 years ago, I still stayed there in my old home, but now my parents have moved up here)

I've lived on the Gold Coast for 18 years and I've always loved it. My grandparents had a holiday house up here and we've all been coming here since I was 18 months old, so it's always been my second home.

I wish I could live in both places. I miss the bustle of Melbourne, and the size and culture. I miss my friends and favourite places. I don't miss being freezing in Winter though! lol

Ah Sydney! I love it too! Never lived there, but visited a lot since I was 17 years old as my best friend at school was from there (Bondi area) and also my partner is from there (Manly area).

G

Ginger Kitten

Stevie, that's beautifully descriptive. Just one thing: 'freezing in winter' - you're talking to Brit in the northern hemisphere!!! Don't think Australians really know the meaning of freezing!! Anyway, I've pulled us away from the course of the thread: my bad! Have a good week. KR, Ginger.

P

palpiations

I took part in CBT as a teenager for severe social anxiety disorder. Didn't work for me at all. If something is not working for you, don't despair! Look for a different approach. Flooding worked best for me.

G

Ginger Kitten

@ramboghettouk I think we're talking about different things (at cross purposes). If you reread my reply to you, you'll see what I mean. Regards, Ginger.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
theres all thos business of looking on the positive side but if you look on the positive side and say at least the illness gets me benefits, the sheer level of viciousness of mental health workers, despite most people been on benefits they're prepared to support certain attitudes to peiole on benefits

cbt pushes looking on the positive side which can get you refused services, it may be effective for the worrried well with a job but those with serious illnesses it isn't

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
one clinical psychologist said you haven't much to be positive about

G

Ginger Kitten

@ramboghettouk Maybe s/he was depressed himself, they can get jaded just like any professional. And maybe s/he was just trying to empathise and be kind. Plus s/he was probably talking about at that particular time: I doubt s/he was giving you a life sentence!

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
schitzoprenia is a dustbin diagnosis, once put into that dustbin well theres nothing to be positive about it

G

Ginger Kitten

@ramboghettouk I understand where u r coming from, but to give u hope, a friend's daughter has schizophrenia. No meds worked from the age of 17 to 38. Then they tried Clozapine, which is a drug often used for treatment resistant paients and admittedly has the potential for significant side effects, but it worked like magic for her. She stabilised with both positive and negative symptoms and within 2 years started nursing training at a major London hospital. She qualified and has now been working for 5 years with no relapses. There IS hope, please try not to despair. Kind regards, Ginger.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i have hopes your friends daughter 5 yrs in work is hardly a career, i know a women whose convinced she'll lose her job because of nhs prejudice

i've given up hope of a job i'm more concerned language schitzoprenics can work will be used to cut my benefits because after all i can always work

clozapine is a nasty drug from what i gather you need regular blood tests, it may be the long term follow up of those blood tests as opposed to the bedsit and prescription approach and nothing to do with it been effective

you haven't mentioned her living circumstances is she living independently. does she have family support

G

Ginger Kitten

@ramboghettouk I give up. Whatever I say to try to help you argue and look for the negative. Revisit this thread at a later date when yr perspective might be clearer. I am recovering from a nasty bipolar episode myself. The last thing I need is frequent challenge. I've said all 8m going to say. I don't have to, and will not, justify anything I've said further.