• We have just changed our forum software and are still tweaking things. You can log in using your existing user name and password. If you spot any problems please let us know by posting in the Feedback and suggestions section of the forum.

Watch this short film to find out how to use the new forum!

I’m tired of anxiety controlling my life.

S

Star232

Ever since I was young I experienced anxiety ( did not know it at the time) I would only experience symptoms at school such as uncontrollable trembling and social phobia. However, it did not start affecting me as much as it did when I started high school, I lost all my friends that I had and the affects of anxiety just got worse and I was diagnosed with social anxiety disorder. Now in college I thought maybe i would be better but I’m still the same, I have that uncontrollable trembling and involuntary movements (tics?). All these symptoms happened when I’m AT SCHOOL ONLY when I’m in another public place I feel completely fine, maybe it’s because I’m usually with a family member but even if I am alone i still feel comfortable then i do at school i always feel on edge. Let me know if you guys are going through the same and if you have any tips/ information for me, Thanks!

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

Hi. Sorry to read about anxiety is unbearable when you're at school. I've been diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder, I can manage it with cognitive therapy skills and by understanding what sorts of things make me more vulnerable to it.

Have you been diagnosed and if so are you seeking treatment or counseling of some kind?

S

Star232

Hi. Sorry to read about anxiety is unbearable when you're at school. I've been diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder, I can manage it with cognitive therapy skills and by understanding what sorts of things make me more vulnerable to it.

Have you been diagnosed and if so are you seeking treatment or counseling of some kind?
I went to a therapist like 2 yrs ago and to be honest it did not help that much she just said it seems like you have social anxiety but I feel like it’s much more than just that.

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

I went to a therapist like 2 yrs ago and to be honest it did not help that much she just said it seems like you have social anxiety but I feel like it’s much more than just that.
Social anxiety is a category and there are many distinctions. Therapy can be guided self-examination and requires engagement and trust. The former depends on revelations by the patient through introspection and is voluntary. The latter depends on a rapport between patient and therapist, could it be that you didn't find that therapist to be someone you could trust?

S

Star232

Social anxiety is a category and there are many distinctions. Therapy can be guided self-examination and requires engagement and trust. The former depends on revelations by the patient through introspection and is voluntary. The latter depends on a rapport between patient and therapist, could it be that you didn't find that therapist to be someone you could trust?
It was kind of hard for me to get everything out that I wanted to say because she would then tell my mom everything that I said. Also they were the one to end the sessions and said that I seemed to be getting better but I still felt the same.

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

she would then tell my mom everything that I said.
Ah okay. I wouldn't trust any therapist who told any member of my family everything I said. That's not going to work for you.

Any chance of seeing another counselor who can keep your sessions confidential so you can feel free to open up?

TroubleinParadise

TroubleinParadise

Hey man,

I went through a similar phase a while ago. I ended up moving out of the family home with no plans, but to tackle anxiety. I had a rough time for a long time - and I'm still struggling, but it's manageable.

Remember: The goal is not to make things less scary, but to make yourself braver. You're battling something real, but you're not alone. Keep in touch.