• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

I’m struggling with boyfriends BPD

T

Targaryan987

My boyfriend is struggling really bad with his MH. My sister is diagnosed BPD so I’ve experienced the behaviours and symptoms that come along with it. I’ve been with my boyfriend for just over two years. His MH is deteriorating every single day. He meets every piece of diagnostic criteria for BPD. He’s been through a lot with SA when he was a child, neglect from his parents, he was a drug addict (cocaine, weed, pills, alcohol, Xanax, lean) for a few years before he met me. I’ve been trying for over a year to get him to get on the ball with getting help. I’m really struggling as because he has a strained relationship with his mum and family I’ve got the sole responsibility of his MH on my shoulders. He has episodes of psychosis, often threatens suicide (when he senses abandonment that isn’t there), his moods change constantly and are extremely intense. If he can’t find his socks that’s enough for him to begin to go into a rage. His lows are extremely low. It’s so difficult. He makes a little progress and I manage to get him to phone his doctors (who are now going to refer him to a psychiatrist) but then he has a mood swing or the day comes and he just avoids it. He’s been given the details for free counselling by his doctor, promised he was going to do it and just never did. I get quite scared of him when he has his mood swings and episodes. He can go from telling me he couldn’t live without me to hating me within a few minutes sometimes. I recently found out he’s been doing cocaine behind my back (probably why he’s been getting worse!). It’s getting the point now where I’m sacrificing my own MH (I have Anxiety, OCD and Autism) by constantly trying to guide and look after him. I’d be happy to do so if he was also getting professional help so he could manage his symptoms himself.

I know he hates feeling this way. I know he’s struggling but it’s so hard to watch him go through it with no professional support when he doesn’t have to. He can learn to manage this, but I keep telling him I’m not qualified to do that or to deal with it alone. How do I work with somebody with BPD so he can finally get some help? I don’t know how I should say things so that they get through to him. I’ve tried everything. What helped you go to the right places for help? Any positive stories I could tell him? I don’t want to leave him as then I feel selfish. He’s an amazing person but he’s so ill and I’ve exhausted all my recourses.

SoftRain

SoftRain

You can not help those who do not want help. It has to come from inside of him.
Welcome to the forum. I am sorry you are going through this. hugs

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Fairy Lucretia struggling with trust x Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 10
E Struggling to get my doctors to listen to my symptoms Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 10
S struggling recently Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 4
A Struggling... Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 27
Fairy Lucretia imreally really struggling tonight Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 10
Llamacoints Struggling. Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 2
C Struggling with meds and bpd. Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 11
mami5 Struggling with suicidal thoughts. Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 684
F Struggling on a different level than before Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 10
B Struggling with motivation and recovery Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 6
Fairy Lucretia Boyfriend struggling with MH. Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 9
Bluejay7500 struggling with knowing what im saying Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 4
F I’m struggling Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 3
T New..hi... struggling Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 25
T Just diagnosed with BPD and struggling to cope on a daily basis Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 1
D Struggling work home life Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 9
N Struggling with CMHT Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 2
S Feeling intense struggling to calm down Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 1
L Struggling to accept life after years of trying to kill myself. Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 12
Halle29 Really struggling (also confused about diagnosis) Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 12
L Struggling Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 10
S Struggling and losing control Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 4
W Break up, I have bpd (suspected) Im struggling was it all me? Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 2
mami5 Struggling to ignore head Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 31
L Really struggling at the moment Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 19
D really struggling at min and my sleep shows it Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 8
G Getting back on track and struggling Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 11
G Struggling to keep my relationship stable Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 13
K struggling Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 9
V Struggling today. Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 17
D Struggling with my emotions Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 37
S Really struggling - want to disappear Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 10
K I have BPD and I am struggling Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 7
Koi1971 Struggling Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 2
JSUMN Have been struggling with a 'favorite person' for about a year now Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 6
O Struggling to forgive myself Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 34
D Struggling Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 26
L For anyone struggling right now Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 2
S Struggling Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 6
P Struggling to accept BPD as a suggested diagnosis Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 17
B Struggling Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 4
A Struggling to see the good in people... Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 21
W Help, i am unsure if i am struggling with bpd... Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 5
S Struggling to cope with life Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 11
T BPD -- Favorite Person -- Struggling right now. Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 5
1 Struggling to engage ect. Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 23
1 Struggling again. Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 1
A Struggling and might loose my children Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 8
Emery Struggling Today Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 4
A Struggling with BPD and relationship Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 3