I’m scared now

H

Hydrophobia

I don’t want to have Schizophrenia, but now that I’m in my early 20s I’m starting to experience symptoms. Sometimes when I’m in my room, I can hear these faint noises of people talking like it’s from a TV, but when I open my door, I don’t hear any TVs. It happens sometimes. There was another unexplained incident that happened years ago (2014, I think, so I must’ve been 16) when I was laying on the couch at night and suddenly heard a loud female screaming in both of my ears to where it hurt my ear drums. But my grandmother was in the same room as me and didn’t hear it. I’m already badly anxious already, my anxiety and stress is terrible. But I can’t take this. One thing that was bothering me a couple days ago was when I looked up to see if there was any link between Schizophrenia and high IQ, but I saw the exact opposite. There’s a link between Schizophrenia and low IQ. Like, lower than the average population. I don’t know if SAD will affect my IQ since it’s environmental and not genetic (like every kind of Schizophrenia), but I’m very anxious to see what my IQ is. I don’t want to have a low IQ. That idea scares me to death. I want to have a beyond genius IQ. If I have a 70 IQ, I might as well kill myself.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Don't worry about your IQ, schizophrenia doesn't change your intelligence level, you are who you are and nothing can change that.

suddenly heard a loud female screaming in both of my ears to where it hurt my ear drums.
This is how I first started hearing voices, in my ears rather than in my mind, several voices of different genders and nationalities. Medication changed that, they're now blocked from my ears and can only speak in my mind but it sounds separate from my thoughts, sounds independent and uncontrollable.

L

linus

First of all: have you been diagnosed with schizophrenia? Have you been in persistent psychotic episodes that lasted more than 1 month? During a psychotic episode and even after you could have cognitive impairments so testing yourself for IQ can be used just to see some evolution during your illness and how do you respond to treatment.
I think you should start with a pmed that can track the progress of your symptoms.

fazza

fazza

I have an average IQ and as far as I know this has not changed over the years. If you want to have a beyond genius IQ I have to ask why?

IQ does not define a person. Neither does schizophrenia. People often say "there is a fine line between genius and insanity". Personally I prefer my people around me to be average.

Have you been to see a Doctor. This would help settle your anxiety levels with a little bit.

Also schizophrenia is not just genetic. It has been found to be a combination of genetic and enviromental. At the end of the day despite years of research a true cause has never been found.

Parayana

Parayana

I've got SZ and an IQ in the 130s with no cognitive impairment, however it's not genetic - it's neurological damage from abuse of cannabis, lsd, ecstasy and amphetamine.

fazza

fazza

Mine is appently caused by enviromental issues during childhood. However being a stereotypical schizophrenia sufferer I dispute this.

H

Hydrophobia

I've got SZ and an IQ in the 130s with no cognitive impairment, however it's not genetic - it's neurological damage from abuse of cannabis, lsd, ecstasy and amphetamine.
You might have toxic psychosis. This is a known phenomenon. Schizophrenia is something that you’ve had since birth. At least that’s what my counselor told me. I’ve also had other problems and obstacles to deal with as well. Like gun ownership. A lot of your rights as a US citizen are stripped from you if you have this disorder. Or at least if you’ve been involuntarily committed for a period of 72 hours or more (which I have three times, once at age 15, twice at age 17). I know my father is banned from owning guns due to selling them illegally. If he gets caught with just a bullet that’s automatically 7 years. I don’t know what kind of sentence I would get if I were caught with a gun, but I hope it wouldn’t be 7 years for just one bullet. The problem with this is that guns are something I’m very good with. Even though I’ve only handled them on two occasions and never shot one before, I’ve always had a love for things that go boom. I can’t get a job for anything firearms related, unfortunately. Perhaps I can get a job patenting weapons for the military or for the department of defense? I don’t know. But I could make a .32 ACP semi-automatic pistol (closed bolt) pretty easily, it’s just that I haven’t had the time or place to do it.

Parayana

Parayana

I don't have toxic psychosis that was my initial diagnosis but after it persisted for two years they realised it was permanent so an SZ diagnosis was pretty much standard in the UK. Your counselor is wrong there are many causes of Schizophrenia and there are no clear genes that are responsible. However it's an umbrella term for many different conditions that have similar symptoms imho. The Nazi's killed off most of the Schizophrenics during WWII, within fifteen years it was back at the same level so not much of a case for DNA being responsible, however YMMV.

H

Hydrophobia

I don't have toxic psychosis that was my initial diagnosis but after it persisted for two years they realised it was permanent so an SZ diagnosis was pretty much standard in the UK. Your counselor is wrong there are many causes of Schizophrenia and there are no clear genes that are responsible. However it's an umbrella term for many different conditions that have similar symptoms imho. The Nazi's killed off most of the Schizophrenics during WWII, within fifteen years it was back at the same level so not much of a case for DNA being responsible, however YMMV.
Yeah, she could’ve been off, for sure. However I’m quite sure that at least Schizoaffective Disorder (which I have) is environmental, which she did say. But I think I suffer more from shit life syndrome (SLS).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
vanish Schizoaffective Forum 7