• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

I’m not sure…

M

Margosha

Well, this emptiness could be exhaustion, from worrying so much. It is hard for you to really know what is your biggest problem without a doctor, and I wouldn't discard the possibility that you are more anxious than normal. I also wouldn't discard the possibility of depression, even If you think you had It as a teen. There are different kinds of depression depending on the neurotransmitter involved. Serotonin related depressions tend to be more anxious, while dopamine related depressions tend to feel more like numbness and emptiness. And, of course, certain kinds of depression can be related to both dopamine and serotonin. Even If you already had a depressive episode, you could be handling a completely different type of depression today. The fact that your mood also seems to be affected would be more evidence for that case.

Not recognizing yourself or feeling your surroundings are not real are two very specific feelings usually called depersonalization and derealization, and they can occour on their own, as a symptom of stress, anxiety or psychosis. If you feel that's the case, maybe talking about It in the depersonalization and derealization forum would help. As a standalone, however, these feelings would not justify you worrying you may have schizophrenia.
Yes it very well could be. Like you said it can’t be known what exactly is wrong unless I get the professional help. But yeah I agree it is very not like schizophrenia at all. I was just seeking help from others who may want to nudge me into a direction to I guess realise that it is definitely not that. I think my biggest problem is the disturbing thoughts, the extreme mood swings which could be caused by my bi polar and OCD. Well as well as the numb and empty feeling.

SchizoaffectiveCat

SchizoaffectiveCat

Yes it very well could be. Like you said it can’t be known what exactly is wrong unless I get the professional help. But yeah I agree it is very not like schizophrenia at all. I was just seeking help from others who may want to nudge me into a direction to I guess realise that it is definitely not that. I think my biggest problem is the disturbing thoughts, the extreme mood swings which could be caused by my bi polar and OCD. Well as well as the numb and empty feeling.
I would be careful before attributing these mood swings to bipolar. Bipolar cycles tend to be slower, and vary between mania or hypomania and depression. From what you said, It sounds like you are cylcing in a matter of days or hours. And more between irritability and numbness, which very much sounds like depression, or even BPD. You should take a look into those before thinking of bipolar, IMO. But yes, please consider again seeking the professional help, It seems like It would do no harm.

M

Margosha

I would be careful before attributing these mood swings to bipolar. Bipolar cycles tend to be slower, and vary between mania or hypomania and depression. From what you said, It sounds like you are cylcing in a matter of days or hours. And more between irritability and numbness, which very much sounds like depression, or even BPD. You should take a look into those before thinking of bipolar, IMO. But yes, please consider again seeking the professional help, It seems like It would do no harm.
Would you mind to explain what you mean by mania and hypomania? And cycling in matter of days? I don’t quite understand what this means, hence why I wanted to seek help from others.

SchizoaffectiveCat

SchizoaffectiveCat

Would you mind to explain what you mean by mania and hypomania? And cycling in matter of days? I don’t quite understand what this means, hence why I wanted to seek help from others.
The people in the bipolar forum would probably explain It better, but as far as I understand it, mania is a state of elation that can bring on euphoria, hyperactivity or irritability, with hypomania being the lesser version of It. Symptoms include impulsivity, lack of sleep, pressured speech and grandiosity, and there may or may not be psychosis. Cycling is changing your mood, from one extreme to the other. In bipolar, cycling normally takes weeks, months or even a year, although there can be rapid cycling, which is rarer. From what you said, I understood It was like in one moment you were feeling empty and numb and in the next one irritated. Changing so fast is not typical of bipolar, but It can be of depression, anxiety or bpd, hence my suggestion.

M

Margosha

The people in the bipolar forum would probably explain It better, but as far as I understand it, mania is a state of elation that can bring on euphoria, hyperactivity or irritability, with hypomania being the lesser version of It. Symptoms include impulsivity, lack of sleep, pressured speech and grandiosity, and there may or may not be psychosis. Cycling is changing your mood, from one extreme to the other. In bipolar, cycling normally takes weeks, months or even a year, although there can be rapid cycling, which is rarer. From what you said, I understood It was like in one moment you were feeling empty and numb and in the next one irritated. Changing so fast is not typical of bipolar, but It can be of depression, anxiety or bpd, hence my suggestion.
Thankyou.

P

Pure_O_Warrior

You need to see a doctor, so they can estimate you. We are not competent here to do that. Things you mention that boders you can littarally be anything. The important thing here is how are you doing at job, school, social relationships etc? If you are funcuning well and you dont have delusions and halucinations then its very unlikley that you have schizophrenia.