• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

I’m not sure…

M

Margosha

I’m not sure if I am in the right forum for schizophrenia, I am confused and don’t even know if I have any symptoms but I’m just concerned.
I feel so empty recently, emotionless, feel like I’m not there sometimes and feel like I’m going to throw up and sort of head dizzy.

Feel not like myself recently. Mood swings as well.

1alternative

1alternative

You need to see a doctor for sure. No point stressing about the unknown, go find out what is wrong.
At this stage you don't have a clue, so it could be anything.
It could be a biological issue, for instance, if you were a middle aged woman than perhaps you are going through menopause.
Either way, to ease your anxiety its best if you go see a doctor.

M

Margosha

Thanks for replying, I’m only in my early twenties.
I personally don’t feel comfortable going to doctors. I don’t want anything to be on my record. So I am kind of out of options.

1alternative

1alternative

Its your choice but why would you not want anything on your record?
Whatever the problem is, whether biological or mental health issues, then that is who you are and one day you will have to accept and embrace it.
Trying to hide your issues by avoiding doctors will only delay the inevitable.
Sometimes, you have to do what you know is the right thing to do and ignore your feelings.

C

celticlass

Hi. Do you have a friend you trust who could go with you to see a health professional? You could discuss your fears at the outset of appointment. Things being on your record I mean. It does not sound like you are in the best of spaces right now.

M

Margosha

Its your choice but why would you not want anything on your record?
Whatever the problem is, whether biological or mental health issues, then that is who you are and one day you will have to accept and embrace it.
Trying to hide your issues by avoiding doctors will only delay the inevitable.
Sometimes, you have to do what you know is the right thing to do and ignore your feelings.
Because it could affect things in the future such as career wise or other things. I don’t want to seem like I am mentally unstable. I find it hard to talk about my feelings especially to doctors or therapist.

M

Margosha

Hi. Do you have a friend you trust who could go with you to see a health professional? You could discuss your fears at the outset of appointment. Things being on your record I mean. It does not sound like you are in the best of spaces right now.
Hi, I personally don’t have many friends and I wouldn’t go with anyone to seek the professional help.

1alternative

1alternative

Because it could affect things in the future such as career wise or other things. I don’t want to seem like I am mentally unstable. I find it hard to talk about my feelings especially to doctors or therapist.
In the world as it is today, believe me, you would not be discriminated against because of any issues you have, quite the opposite. The world has completely changed the last few decades.
In fact, in the US, its almost a badge of honor to say you go to a therapist etc.

SchizoaffectiveCat

SchizoaffectiveCat

Hey, I don't know If It helps, but from what you wrote, nothing suggests schizophrenia. Why do you think that would be the issue?

And If It were, it is not really the type of thing that you can self diagnose. If you are concerned about you health, you should see a doctor, there is nothing you have to disclose in the future career wise, and It wouldn't be forced from you unless you had trouble with the law, for exemple.

M

Margosha

In the world as it is today, believe me, you would not be discriminated against because of any issues you have, quite the opposite. The world has completely changed the last few decades.
In fact, in the US, its almost a badge of honor to say you go to a therapist etc.
I happen to live in the UK and the laws are slightly different, once that is on your record that’s it, it will be considered into anything you do. I know how it works.

M

Margosha

Hey, I don't know If It helps, but from what you wrote, nothing suggests schizophrenia. Why do you think that would be the issue?

And If It were, it is not really the type of thing that you can self diagnose. If you are concerned about you health, you should see a doctor, there is nothing you have to disclose in the future career wise, and It wouldn't be forced from you unless you had trouble with the law, for exemple.
I’m not saying that I have it. I was just asking for some help or seeing if someone maybe have similar things. That things that I did state is not the only things that I have. I suffer from the worst vivid bad thoughts, implosive imagination. Terrible mood swings, that either turn into range or numbness for days.

1alternative

1alternative

I’m not saying that I have it. I was just asking for some help or seeing if someone maybe have similar things. That things that I did state is not the only things that I have. I suffer from the worst vivid bad thoughts, implosive imagination. Terrible mood swings, that either turn into range or numbness for days.
One thing is certain, you only have two options; continue dealing with this on your own and who knows what will happen in the future OR see a doctor.
When you finally get sick of wondering what is wrong, you'll know what to do.

SchizoaffectiveCat

SchizoaffectiveCat

I used to feel very dizzy and about to throw up when I was anxious and dissociating. The emptiness and numbness, on the other hand, I would associate more with depression or simply exhaustion from the anxiety, used to feel that when depressed. You could simply be a bit more stressed for some reason, and that would explain everything you described, or It could be the start of something more serious, like depression, OCD, or even the prodromal phase of some psychosis, although I wouldn't bet on that, simply because it's less common and self awereness in these scenarios is even less common. But only a doctor would know for sure, really.

M

Margosha

I used to feel very dizzy and about to throw up when I was anxious and dissociating. The emptiness and numbness, on the other hand, I would associate more with depression or simply exhaustion from the anxiety, used to feel that when depressed. You could simply be a bit more stressed for some reason, and that would explain everything you described, or It could be the start of something more serious, like depression, OCD, or even the prodromal phase of some psychosis, although I wouldn't bet on that, simply because it's less common and self awereness in these scenarios is even less common. But only a doctor would know for sure, really.
I wouldn’t say that I suffer with big anxiety, yes sometimes I get nervous that I want to throw up but I think anxiety is the least of my worries. It’s more about my OCD (which I was not diagnosed by a doctor) because I am worried that it will escalate. But OCD isn’t just the coordination for people you know. For me it is far worse. Doing certain things a certain way so no one will get harmed and stuff.. I wouldn’t say I am severed depressed. I used to be as a teen yes and was self harming for a good few years but I haven’t in a few months now (but I do think about it all the time but I can’t do it) which is good I guess. But the feeling of emptiness I can’t describe, it’s as if I’m not there.

SchizoaffectiveCat

SchizoaffectiveCat

I wouldn’t say that I suffer with big anxiety, yes sometimes I get nervous that I want to throw up but I think anxiety is the least of my worries. It’s more about my OCD (which I was not diagnosed by a doctor) because I am worried that it will escalate. But OCD isn’t just the coordination for people you know. For me it is far worse. Doing certain things a certain way so no one will get harmed and stuff.. I wouldn’t say I am severed depressed. I used to be as a teen yes and was self harming for a good few years but I haven’t in a few months now (but I do think about it all the time but I can’t do it) which is good I guess. But the feeling of emptiness I can’t describe, it’s as if I’m not there.
Well, this emptiness could be exhaustion, from worrying so much. It is hard for you to really know what is your biggest problem without a doctor, and I wouldn't discard the possibility that you are more anxious than normal. I also wouldn't discard the possibility of depression, even If you think you had It as a teen. There are different kinds of depression depending on the neurotransmitter involved. Serotonin related depressions tend to be more anxious, while dopamine related depressions tend to feel more like numbness and emptiness. And, of course, certain kinds of depression can be related to both dopamine and serotonin. Even If you already had a depressive episode, you could be handling a completely different type of depression today. The fact that your mood also seems to be affected would be more evidence for that case.

Not recognizing yourself or feeling your surroundings are not real are two very specific feelings usually called depersonalization and derealization, and they can occour on their own, as a symptom of stress, anxiety or psychosis. If you feel that's the case, maybe talking about It in the depersonalization and derealization forum would help. As a standalone, however, these feelings would not justify you worrying you may have schizophrenia.