• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

I’m new and feeling very down

D

Dustmote

Hi everyone
I’m feeling so very depressed at the moment and can’t seem to pull myself out of it. I feel an underlying permanent sense of dread and I can’t motivate myself to do anything. I feel frozen and stuck. Does anyone have any kind words which might help me? Wishing all of you well - we are not alone in our struggles x

jajingna

jajingna

Hi, welcome to the forum. Hope you feel better soon.

D

Dustmote

Thanks for your replies. It’s just good to know there’s somebody out there x

S

sadgirl

Hi dustmote and welcome to the forum please feel free to look around and post whenever you can

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

welcome to the forum x i know that feeling and it is horrible
please use the forum for support
you are very welcome here love Lu x

K

karl7

Hi everyone
I’m feeling so very depressed at the moment and can’t seem to pull myself out of it. I feel an underlying permanent sense of dread and I can’t motivate myself to do anything. I feel frozen and stuck. Does anyone have any kind words which might help me? Wishing all of you well - we are not alone in our struggles x
welcome to the forums dustmote.....i know how tough depression can be.....when i was truly depressed i would have likeed someone to let me know that depression does pass, it will pass, you will get better

im sure you will like these forums, there are nice understanding humble folk here who understand.

S

Stormyskies67

Thanks for your replies. It’s just good to know there’s somebody out there x
I'm new here too and I know all too well about depression
My counselor gave me 4 crisis line numbers in case I can't reach her
I had bad depression as a teen and then a lot of happiness when married and raising kids then they all moved on and I never did
I tried guided relaxation
Affirmations
I don't know how old you are but they say the music you listened to as a teen helps
This will surely age me but 80s rock bands make me happy

D

Dustmote

Thanks for your kind reply. It sounds as if we might be similar ages! 😆 I love eighties and nineties music too.
I’m feeling more upbeat now although I still have difficult days. I think my problem is I wasn’t taught how to deal with emotions and I suppressed negative emotions from an early age. My childhood was traumatic in places and I found something which has really helped me, although it isn’t easy to do. I wrote a list of all the difficult or traumatic events - things which shaped me. And I’m journalling about each one. What happened, how I felt. And then reframing each one from the context of where I am now, as an adult. I find it brings up a lot of painful emotions which I buried at the time. But I sit with them, feel them, let them wash through me. Sometimes I have to revisit each event 2 or 3 times. It’s hard work, but afterwards I feel a sense of closure, or at least letting go. At having dealt with something not acknowledged at the time. I wasn’t able to then - I was a child. But now I can give myself the gift of acknowledging the distress I felt at the time. Then, I can start to look ahead at the future, rather than behind, at the past. Much love to all who are struggling at the moment. ❤️