• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

I’m getting a psych evaluation

anex

anex

On Monday. Has anyone done this before? What was it like? Should I write down every symptom I’ve been having over the last year? Was the assessment accurate? Did you feel like you were able to adequately explain everything going on? I’m just worried this will go wasted if it’s not done properly or if anything is missed or confused for something else. I had to wait a month for this.

Bipolarbear808

Bipolarbear808

Hi anex,

I think it kinda depends on who you're being assessed by and what you're being assessed for. But, generally you'll probably end up filling out some kind of questionnaire. Then they usually ask you a bunch of standardized questions (they usually have a checklist of some sort). Then they'll probably ask you things like what brought you in today and things like that. Initial assessments are usually pretty cut and dry in my experience. I wouldn't worry too much about getting ever symptom down, the initial assessment is just giving them a general picture of who you are and why you're there.

Try not to worry about it too much, most of my assessments were pretty accurate at the time, but diagnosis are fluid and they tend to change over time. Meaning the more you meet with them and the more information they get about you, over time, your diagnosis could change as they get to know you better.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Passionflower

Passionflower

Don't expect a diagnosis as no one should be diagnosing you from one meeting.

M

Miho

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I have had a few. And I tend to go in with no prep work what so ever. I dont want to influence anything and for me this approuch has worked well.

I hope it goes well tomorrow.

anex

anex

Hi anex how are you? I hope that your assessment went well
I’m doing okay! Thank you. The evaluation went well. I had my husband with me to help if I struggled to remember things and adding his own input to what he witnesses. I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder and generalized anxiety disorder. Strong possibility of PTSD and inattentive ADHD. I’ll be talking with the person who evaluated me again in about a month. I feel good about it because those were all the things I was pretty sure I had. It’s nice to have that validated in this way. Onward to further understanding and healing💪🏻