• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

I’m confused and need to vent (should I take medication that’s being offered to me???)

K

keittokala

Hey!
I’ve been going to theraphy or something like that for few months because at my school I went to the school psychologist because I was feeling not well and I selfharmed.
Today I had a consultation with a psychologist (usually deal with nurses who are specialized in mental health) and she offered me a medication for my unwellness. I’m just wondering if I should take it. Sometimes when I feel really bad I selfharm and I would like to get rid of the havit but I don’t know would the medication help. I think it’s like SRRI antidepressant but my dad has the prescription for it so I don’t know the exact.
The psychologist said that it would help to lessen the peaks of my anxiety and unwellness but I don’t know if it’s worth it.
I don’t have a diagnosis for anything (at least yet) but she was talking about depression reaction when I told about my symptoms.
Can someone please help or maybe share their opinion in this?

Z

Zoe1

hi keittokala :welcome: !

I think medication is usually prescribed by a psychiatrist
not a psychologist
and there should be a diagnosis
because it needs to be the right medication

and you might want someone to go with you
to help you to be heard

:grouphug:

Catty5

Catty5

Hello :welcome:
I don’t know what med you got ???
And I know nothing about a mental health care system in your country???

i’m In the US and working in the health care system (off work due to depression right now😰).

Here, usually psychiatrists prescribe psychotropic meds. And they diagnose when they prescribe.

If you’re not sure what kind of med or your diagnosis, please make sure of those things.....

K

keittokala

The psychologist was talking about some kind of depression reaction and that the med would help with it. She was being quite vague about any diagnosis and stuff like that, but it was the first time I got to talk to her. I think the med was fluoxetine.
I’m going to youth psychology center or something like that cause I started going there before I turned 18 so they probably do things a bit differently. I had my dad with me and he said that I should what feels best for me but I’m quite confused myself. The psychologist said that it wouldn’t have any major adverse effects so I’m considering trying it but I’m really not sure.
But thanks to both of you for trying to help!

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

Hi @keittokala I hope you're doing okay.
Psychiatric medications can be very helpful when they work but all drugs have side-effects. The question of whether the side-effects are tolerable or will they outweigh the relief effects is a question that only you can answer for yourself, based on how you experience the medication.

If you do decide to try meds, the doctor will likely start you on a low dose and increase it if you feel no changes to your symptoms.

Fluoxetine (Prozac) is a very common first-run SSRI prescribed primarily for depression. It's got a very good safety record but I advise you to educate yourself about what drugs interact badly with it (including other prescription drugs and recreational drugs too - including alcohol).

I hope you we can help support your recovery. Glad you found us!

Catty5

Catty5

The psychologist was talking about some kind of depression reaction and that the med would help with it. She was being quite vague about any diagnosis and stuff like that, but it was the first time I got to talk to her. I think the med was fluoxetine.
I’m going to youth psychology center or something like that cause I started going there before I turned 18 so they probably do things a bit differently. I had my dad with me and he said that I should what feels best for me but I’m quite confused myself. The psychologist said that it wouldn’t have any major adverse effects so I’m considering trying it but I’m really not sure.
But thanks to both of you for trying to help!
Hello
I’m on Fluoxetine

Catty5

Catty5

@keittokala

I’ve been on Fluoxetine for 16 weeks. You may experience uncomfortable initial side effects. But those things will gradually disappear as your brain will adjust into med.