• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

I’m always overthinking about how I appear to others. I need advice on how to loosen up.

L

Lakers93

Hi. I just wanted to run this by somebody. I’m constantly self-aware and monitoring myself for how I appear to others. I want to give off this vibe of I’m comfortable or something, and I’ll check in mentally with myself like ‘I’m doing it’ or ‘I don’t think I’m doing it, I need to fix it’.

I watched a video earlier of this on stage thing (just basically a get together of old cast members of a film) and they were able to just go with it. They seemed quite loose etc. and enjoying themselves. That’s how I used to be!

Any advice how to stop thinking about how I appear to people and just loosening up? Thanks.

catmommy

catmommy

:hi: Lakers93,

When you want to loosen up, take the pressure off and focus on things that you are interested in that bring you joy, or that come naturally to you.

This will not only distract you from your worry, which is a waste of your time and energy, it will also start to attract the people who are interested in what you are interested in.

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

I'm like this too. The only thing that really helps me to not care so much about how I'm appearing to others is if I'm around people who I'm very comfortable with and who tend to make me laugh a lot, and that I can be silly with.

Sanjuro

Sanjuro

I'm feeling same too,i think people see me as weird guy cause im too shy and closed person and not much talkative.

A

Anxietyhell

I think it's quite common to feel as you/we do..
As SS said, I think if we are around familiar people that know, accept us and we feel Comfortable with - then we are not so self conscious and can be ourselves without feeling judged.... With strangers we can tend to be more self aware /conscious..