• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

hypomanic plz help

C

cole

I have bipolar disorder and am currently hypomanic.The Dr has upped my meds (diazepam,lithium,quetiapine) but it hasnt really slowed me down.Am driving everyone around me crazy as i refuse to sit still and wont stop talking.I feel annoyed because i think they are to slow.I love when i am up as i feel great and full of energy but i am worried it may continue into a full blown manic episode.which has happened in the past.The dr has advised i may have to go to hospital if this happens.Does anyone have any advice on how to manage hypomania

emski

emski

When I have been hypomanic in the past and before it has led to full blown mania I have found doing things by myself to be a good outlet. We drive people to distraction in this state and they frustrate us because they can't keep up so it makes sense to do solitary things. I have found these are my most productive and creative periods, and the times when I feel like the real me.

What kind of things are you interested in? What do you do in your day to day life?

Also in terms of managing hypomania with meds, I'm on the same as you meds wise apart from the diazepam. I have used benzos in the past, but I have found increasing quetiapine of longer term benefit. Do you take Seroquel, or Seroquel XL? The ordinary one is far more sedating I find.

Other things you can look at besides activities and meds - lifestyle. Exercise is a good outlet - I love swimming, I find it so therapeutic. Also diet makes a big difference and cutting down on caffeine, alcohol, cigarettes (if you smoke and can manage to cut down when hypo).

I'm trying to think of other things....

:hug:

C

cole

i am on the 400mg normal seroquel at night and 300mg of seroquel xl during the day,20mg of diazepam and 600mg of lithium. I am trying to stay out of ppls way as much as possible. i love reading but cant focus on books at the moment.We got a wiifit and i go on that up to 5 hours a day but my sister says thats way to much.(she lives with me to help with my care)I have also started cooking kinda obsessivly making up to 50 cookies and a few cakes in a day but i dont eat them.So am giving them away to everyone i know.lol I dont smoke,dont drink coffee and only drink a few glasses of wine every few months.I'm really startin to worry if i dont calm down i will be madeto go to hospital :( I am also off on long term sick at the moment.Do you think it would be possible for me to go back any time soon? thanks for ur help

S

skyblue

Hi Cole,

Considering you're going through a hypomanic episode, you sound like you're doing really quite well. Ok - going on the wiifit for 5hrs a day maybe a bit too much, but at least you're not getting yourself into any trouble.

It seems you're channeling your energy into doing some really good productive things to keep you occupied. There's nothing wrong in baking cookies for everyone - they must love you ! Lol.

It seems you're keeping yourself well and healthy, by not drinking or smoking. You're doing all the right things as far as I can see.

Keep it up and stay well :hug:

C

cole

thats wot i said! i went thro a depressive episode in the past and self harm when i am low.my legs are covered with scars everybody was worried and now i am happy everyone else still complains! i love cooking right now and am gonna open a stall at the local market but i usually stay up throught the nite to do things and the noise bugs my sister.I am no longer in charge of my bank card because i love to buy people presents.nothin wrong with that. i dont think! i saw a puppy for sale and wanted to get my sister it but i dont have any money! then i thot maybe a kitten a person in the paper is giving them away! am sure she will like a kitten once its here.i feel tuned into everything noises are sharper colours brighter.Its just everyone else draggin me back! telling me to 'calm down' or slow down when talking' so sick of it

Last edited:
emski

emski

does 600mg lithium give you a therapeutic blood level?

C

cole

I go for regular blood tests and at the last one the doctor said mine was at 0.6 which is within the normal rage (0.4-1.0) think he wants to up it a bit more soon but my thyroid is now underactive so they are giving me thyroxine for that to get it back to a normal level. I have been off work sick for 7 months now.I have a meeting in the next few weeks with my manager do u think its possible they could sack me for being off for so long? am also really nervous am gonna make a fool of myself at the meetings :(

C

cole

bipolar & work

I had a job i really enjoy but have been on long term sick 7 months.I have been going to all my medical appointments and any meetings they have requested also provided up to date sick lines. I have to go in for a meeting next week.Does anyone know if i can be fired? am also really worried bout goin into work for the meeetin in my current state.I can barely sit still,cant stop talking on and on even bout random things and my concentration and memory are really not at their best.wot if i embarrass myself?

emski

emski

I was going to say there might be a bit of scope to up your lithium to see if that curbs the hypomania a bit, looks like there is a little bit of room to play but of course you don't want your thyroid problem to be worsened. I'm on 1200mg with a stable 0.8 level, but I either have a high tolerance for it or smoking has an impact (sometimes nicotine inhibits certain drugs)

As for work they can't fire you if you are signed off sick. I was on/off sick for 18 months before deciding on a career change. Don't be worried about going to the meeting - I presume they know what your condition is? You are off sick after ill so they can't be expecting you to be going in in a well state of mind, otherwise you'd be back in already. Would you feel better if someone could accompany you to the meeting? Make sure that when the time is right for you to go back to work that you do so on a phased return

C

cole

so u think if my lithium level was a bit higher it would help? the doctor said we need to watch my thyroid because it it gets worse more thyroxine will only make me higher. are you able to work again? My sister is coming with me to the meeting she lives with me and i am thinking bout goin to my citizian advice bureau to get more information. thanks for ur advice

emski

emski

Technically there is room for li level to go higher, but of course your thyroid comes first, your doctor may not want to up your dose because of your thyroid. I am able to work again yes, but that is only because I am well now.

I hope things work out for you cole :hug:

T

TOONAFISH

hi cole

just wondering, you said that if you have to much thyroxine it makes you high??

Is that what the docs said or something you notice yourself?

I had my 1st manic episode and they found out i had an overactive thyroid, so had too much tyroxine in my system.

I had been hoping that this was the cause of my mania.

How are you feeling now?? :)