• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Hypomanic help - Med choices

B

BlueWater

25% is indeed a non-trivial number. However, I thought that number is with the first generation (typical) APs while the number is much lower with the second generation (atypical) APs. I'mnot sure however.
I think much lower with SGAs.

K

keith74

I take Depakote, which works for my hypo side pretty well. I won’t take APs for exactly the reasons you list. Depakote has a long list of potential side effects, but the bad ones are rare.
What do you take to help with the depression? My wife also takes depakote - she's been on it for decades. Most of the time she has only been on depakote (monotherapy). However, she has been placed on quetiapine at times to pull her out of severe depressive episodes. She then slowly weans off it after a long period of stabilization. She currently is on it now but is planning on reducing her dose as it has been several months since her depressive episode ended (May). But I always wondered if she needed some other med permanently to help keep the depression at bay since depakote is typically an anti-manic med...

B

BlueWater

That's not a bad idea, but I don't believe Lamotrigine can just be stopped safely for any long length of time. Withdrawal would be a factor.

I like the idea of taking something on an as needed basis. There's is a specific benzodiazepine out there that I really wish my doc would prescribe because it's very highly rated for insomnia by many people.

I don't really want to go asking for benzodiazepines though because that may appear as though I'm a drug addict.
It shouldn't appear as though you are a drug addict but how will they prevent hypomanic episodes? Seems like I talked with you months ago about something else. Do you have OCD?

K

keith74

The idea with benzos is that due to the heavy sedative effect, it can help a lot with with hyper energy, racing thoughts, aggression, and especially lack of sleep that comes with a manic episode. Benzos are often given to patients with acute mania to help calm them down. However, benzos on their own is not considered a viable treatment or maintenance for (hypo)mania. It is almost always given in conjunction with a medication to treat the mania directly (like depakote or an antipsychotic)

M

MrMuscles

I take Klonopin every night, sometimes .25mg, sometimes .5mg. It can cause depression.

For anxiety, I also take Propranolol 10mg most nights. My anxiety tends to occur in the afternoon or at bedtime.

The 25% TD rate is for SGAs or APs in general?
Actually it's a 20-22% prevalence rate among SGA's. When taking FGA's, your odds rise to 30%. I've also read literature that your overall risk of TD is about 25% on average across all antipsychotics.

Not worth all of the sleep in the world. I wouldn't take antipsychotics even if it meant I could trade places with Rip-Van-Winkle himself. :)

M

MrMuscles

It shouldn't appear as though you are a drug addict but how will they prevent hypomanic episodes? Seems like I talked with you months ago about something else. Do you have OCD?
I'm hoping I won't look like a drug addict because I genuinely need a medication that will help me and I've tried most drug classes at this point.
I kind of lost track of my thoughts as I wrote that, I'm seeking a med for hypomania but only because hypomania causes me to sleep 2-4 hours nightly. A benzo won't treat my hypomania but it may help me with sleep during those times, as well as during depressive episodes.
I actually enjoy hypomania most of the time, but lack of sleep is brutal.

I do have OCD, Bipolar & ADHD. We may have discussed these awhile ago, or we talked about my sleep difficulties.

B

BlueWater

Actually it's a 20-22% prevalence rate among SGA's. When taking FGA's, your odds rise to 30%. I've also read literature that your overall risk of TD is about 25% on average across all antipsychotics.

Not worth all of the sleep in the world. I wouldn't take antipsychotics even if it meant I could trade places with Rip-Van-Winkle himself. :)
Outside of the other mood stabilizers, then what options do you have?

B

BlueWater

I'm hoping I won't look like a drug addict because I genuinely need a medication that will help me and I've tried most drug classes at this point.
I kind of lost track of my thoughts as I wrote that, I'm seeking a med for hypomania but only because hypomania causes me to sleep 2-4 hours nightly. A benzo won't treat my hypomania but it may help me with sleep during those times, as well as during depressive episodes.
I actually enjoy hypomania most of the time, but lack of sleep is brutal.

I do have OCD, Bipolar & ADHD. We may have discussed these awhile ago, or we talked about my sleep difficulties.
We talked more about your OCD and sleep. Klonopin helps me. Trazodone helps me, too. Even when you're not hypomanic are you sleeping only 2-4 hours?

B

BlueWater

There's also Mirtazapine. It is an anti-depressant that at low doses is prescribed for sleep. I take it once or twice weekly in lieu of Trazodone.

S

SFGuy

What do you take to help with the depression? . . .

But I always wondered if she needed some other med permanently to help keep the depression at bay since depakote is typically an anti-manic med...
Depakote's a miracle for the right people, isn't it? It sounds like your wife and I must have some physiology in common.

When I had my last depression, I had IV Ketamine (3 infusions) and followed that with custom compounded nasal spray, which I take up to 3 times a day. I haven't had a major depression in 2 years+ (hoping for the best), so I'm staying on the spray as a prophylactic. Without it, I would have expected a couple bouts at least.

My psychiatrist has tried K with others. It usually looks good at first, then poops out.

I tolerate a relatively low dose of Dextroamphetamine for ADHD. It gets me off the couch and into my day, but doesn't brighten my mood. It's risky since it can trigger mania.

I also have a strong reaction to Lyrica, which I started this year. It has worked to reduce anxiety, but it also brightens my mood. Free bonus.

I have taken Trazodone (400mg) to prevent migraine for decades. It's part of the mix, but I've never felt like it affects my mood.

B

BlueWater

Depakote's a miracle for the right people, isn't it? It sounds like your wife and I must have some physiology in common.

When I had my last depression, I had IV Ketamine (3 infusions) and followed that with custom compounded nasal spray, which I take up to 3 times a day. I haven't had a major depression in 2 years+ (hoping for the best), so I'm staying on the spray as a prophylactic. Without it, I would have expected a couple bouts at least.

My psychiatrist has tried K with others. It usually looks good at first, then poops out.

I tolerate a relatively low dose of Dextroamphetamine for ADHD. It gets me off the couch and into my day, but doesn't brighten my mood. It's risky since it can trigger mania.

I also have a strong reaction to Lyrica, which I started this year. It has worked to reduce anxiety, but it also brightens my mood. Free bonus.

I have taken Trazodone (400mg) to prevent migraine for decades. It's part of the mix, but I've never felt like it affects my mood.
Trazodone doesn't do anything for my mood either. I sleep and dream better with it so it least there's an indirect benefit for my irritability because I'm rested. Lyrica is great for anxiety. My first or second day on it I was euphoric.

K

keith74

Indeed, depakote has worked well for my wife for a long time. Though she seems to react mostly well to most meds with minimal side effects. She is lucky that way.

I have heard good things about ketamine. It sounds promising. Thank you for sharing your experience. I'll keep it on the radar as a possible alternate treatment for her depressive episodes instead of the quetiapine.

Wishbone

Wishbone

To be fair, do you even need that given that Depakote works against migraines? Could be one you could possibly cut out.

S

SFGuy

To be fair, do you even need that given that Depakote works against migraines? Could be one you could possibly cut out.
The discontinuation syndrome is hell itself. I've tried. Migraines, brain zaps, etc. I feel as if I am physically addicted to this one even though I can't be.