• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Hypomanic help - Med choices

M

MrMuscles

For the life of me I can't figure out what I can do to treat hypomania.

Sure there are meds out there....but they all seem to have potentially horrifying side effects.
The only bipolar medication I'm on is Lamotrigine, but it doesn't stop hypomanic episodes.

-Antipsychotics are an absolute NO, they can cause tardive dyskinesia and EPS. 25%-30% of users will develop this horrible illness. Just NO.

-Lithium sounded promising, but it can cause diabetes insipidus. I would kill myself if I developed that disease. It may or may not be a rare side effect, but not worth the risk.
Constant blood testing and potential kidney/thyroid issues also prevents me from trying this medication.

-Depakote can't be taken because I donate plasma twice a week. This medication would harm recipients of my plasma.

Is there another type of medication out there that can treat hypomania? One without permanently disabling side effects?
I just want to hear some medication names so that I can ask my psychiatrist about them.

Perhaps I'm just screwed and I have to cope with 2-4 hours of sleep every night for the rest of my life.

F

Frankum35

For the life of me I can't figure out what I can do to treat hypomania.

Sure there are meds out there....but they all seem to have potentially horrifying side effects.
The only bipolar medication I'm on is Lamotrigine, but it doesn't stop hypomanic episodes.

-Antipsychotics are an absolute NO, they can cause tardive dyskinesia and EPS. 25%-30% of users will develop this horrible illness. Just NO.

-Lithium sounded promising, but it can cause diabetes insipidus. I would kill myself if I developed that disease. It may or may not be a rare side effect, but not worth the risk.
Constant blood testing and potential kidney/thyroid issues also prevents me from trying this medication.

-Depakote can't be taken because I donate plasma twice a week. This medication would harm recipients of my plasma.

Is there another type of medication out there that can treat hypomania? One without permanently disabling side effects?
I just want to hear some medication names so that I can ask my psychiatrist about them.

Perhaps I'm just screwed and I have to cope with 2-4 hours of sleep every night for the rest of my life.
Hello friend, I hope you can find the right meds for you. To me they all have horrible side effects, but is what we have for mental health.

M

MrMuscles

Hello friend, I hope you can find the right meds for you. To me they all have horrible side effects, but is what we have for mental health.
Thank you, hopefully there is a medicine out there for my circumstances.

Side effects are fine, I just don't want permanent side effects or permanent disability.
Many meds for mania can cause permanent disabilities.

S

SFGuy

I take Depakote, which works for my hypo side pretty well. I won’t take APs for exactly the reasons you list. Depakote has a long list of potential side effects, but the bad ones are rare.

If you took it, I don’t know what you would do about the plasma donations. It might force you to give them up. And it might not work for you. It boils down to trade offs, I think, and how intolerable your symptoms become.

M

MrMuscles

I take Depakote, which works for my hypo side pretty well. I won’t take APs for exactly the reasons you list. Depakote has a long list of potential side effects, but the bad ones are rare.

If you took it, I don’t know what you would do about the plasma donations. It might force you to give them up. And it might not work for you. It boils down to trade offs, I think, and how intolerable your symptoms become.
Depakote is something I'll consider if I ever give up plasma donations, but I can't stop donating just yet. I get paid for donating plasma & at the moment it's my only income.

At least that's a possible solution for me someday.

B

BlueWater

As SFGuy said, there are trade-offs to consider. And even people who don't have BP take APs like SGAs because they decide the risk is worth it for them. An SGA added to Lamotrigine and my AD is helping me. My moods are evening out. Options you could consider are Vraylar, Rexulti, Abilify and Latuda. There's an olanzapine/Prozac combo that works for some. Another person on this forum is taking Lamotrigine and Lexapro and I think just added Abilify or another SGA.

For sleep, most nights I take Lunesta, Hydroxyzine and Trazodone. Some nights, instead of Trazodone I take Mirtazapine. I almost always take Klonopin and lately a low dose of a beta blocker whose side effect is sleepiness.

Amazingly

Amazingly

You can always try out carbamazepine at this point.
It’s best to consult with a doctor.
Good luck!

K

keith74

Don't get scared off by the listed potential side effects. Remember that it is "potential". Not everyone is affected. There are many people who take various drugs for many years with little or no side effects. Drug companies are required by law to list ALL potential side effects, no matter how minute the chance. Ever take a look at the warning label for some common over the counter drugs like aspirin? It is really scary!! If people took it seriously, then no one would ever take aspirin.

Another more common example is all the people who don't want to get the covid vaccine because of the rare side effects. They let the tiny risk of a side effect from preventing them to get protection from a disease that they have a far greater chance of getting.

Basically you will never know if you will experience any side effects until you try. For many people, the benefits far outweigh the cons.

Wishbone

Wishbone

You could maybe speak to your doc about the possible use of meds but only 'as needed' (PRN), so that you'd only take them when you felt hypomanic and then go back to taking only Lamotrigine thereafter. Worth asking.

M

MrMuscles

Don't get scared off by the listed potential side effects. Remember that it is "potential". Not everyone is affected. There are many people who take various drugs for many years with little or no side effects. Drug companies are required by law to list ALL potential side effects, no matter how minute the chance. Ever take a look at the warning label for some common over the counter drugs like aspirin? It is really scary!! If people took it seriously, then no one would ever take aspirin.

Another more common example is all the people who don't want to get the covid vaccine because of the rare side effects. They let the tiny risk of a side effect from preventing them to get protection from a disease that they have a far greater chance of getting.

Basically you will never know if you will experience any side effects until you try. For many people, the benefits far outweigh the cons.
Make no mistake, I'm weighing the risks against the benefits for every medicine I consider. So when I say that these drugs have potentially bad side effects, I mean effects which are so disabling that the medicine simply isn't worth the risk.

Classic example would be antipsychotics, about 25% of patients taking them will develop TD. 25% is HUGE!

Look at Lithium as another classic example. If you take Lithium you have a 20% of developing a type of diabetes that would ruin your life.

These are NOT rare side effects

M

MrMuscles

You could maybe speak to your doc about the possible use of meds but only 'as needed' (PRN), so that you'd only take them when you felt hypomanic and then go back to taking only Lamotrigine thereafter. Worth asking.
That's not a bad idea, but I don't believe Lamotrigine can just be stopped safely for any long length of time. Withdrawal would be a factor.

I like the idea of taking something on an as needed basis. There's is a specific benzodiazepine out there that I really wish my doc would prescribe because it's very highly rated for insomnia by many people.

I don't really want to go asking for benzodiazepines though because that may appear as though I'm a drug addict.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Lamotrigine would continue it's just at certain times when you need it you take something else in addition to it. Short-term benzo's can be good for calming you down, as can short-term antipsychotics. Neither should become a problem as you shouldn't be having so many hypomania's that that door is left open for too long. I'd definitely discuss this exact thing and your fears about taking others things in the long-term.

M

MrMuscles

Lamotrigine would continue it's just at certain times when you need it you take something else in addition to it. Short-term benzo's can be good for calming you down, as can short-term antipsychotics. Neither should become a problem as you shouldn't be having so many hypomania's that that door is left open for too long. I'd definitely discuss this exact thing and your fears about taking others things in the long-term.
I misread what you wrote originally, I thought you were implying discontinuation of Lamotrigine sometimes. Haha
Yes, staying on Lamotrigine while also taking a benzo or something would be ideal.

I kind of like the idea of taking an antipsychotic just for hypomania, but I think even rare dosing could lead to developing Tardive Dyskinesia.

B

BlueWater

I misread what you wrote originally, I thought you were implying discontinuation of Lamotrigine sometimes. Haha
Yes, staying on Lamotrigine while also taking a benzo or something would be ideal.

I kind of like the idea of taking an antipsychotic just for hypomania, but I think even rare dosing could lead to developing Tardive Dyskinesia.
I take Klonopin every night, sometimes .25mg, sometimes .5mg. It can cause depression.

For anxiety, I also take Propranolol 10mg most nights. My anxiety tends to occur in the afternoon or at bedtime.

The 25% TD rate is for SGAs or APs in general?

K

keith74

Classic example would be antipsychotics, about 25% of patients taking them will develop TD. 25% is HUGE!
25% is indeed a non-trivial number. However, I thought that number is with the first generation (typical) APs while the number is much lower with the second generation (atypical) APs. I'mnot sure however.