• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Hypomanic and on no meds. Starting Seroquel today.

T

Turtlewithhope

Hi. I had a manic episode landing me in hospital about a year ago. Followed was another six weeks of being rather high, and on sick leave. Back to full time work after that, and put on Abilify instead or risperidone - which made me feeling very low, and numb. Depressed, low, tired, numb for six months, i dragged myself to work every day (in office or home) and really struggled. But I did it. I started feeling better in June/July and my psychiatrist agreed that I could stop taking Abilify. Fast forward two months, everything has been great, work is fun again and more busy, and I enjoy seeing my friends, hanging with husband and sleep a more regular amount of hours, 6-7-8 per night instead of 10-11!! But past 10 days I’ve been too happy and too busy at work. Efficient and enjoying it, but can’t sleep enough. I fall asleep fine but wake up early (4 am) and just want to get up and get going with my day. After 10 days of this I’ve consulted psychologist and psychiatrist and agreed to take a short term cure of Seroquel at night in a low dose. Wish me luck!! I really don’t want to have another manic episode. My goal is to manage my condition long term without medication. My doctors are onboard and think I might be able to but right now a little worried of relapse. Anyone else out there managing their Bipolar 1 without meds?

K

keith74

Good to hear that you were self aware enough to identify that something may be off and took action to address it (see your psychiatrist and take meds). As for a long term goal of not relying on maintenance meds... well everyone is different but the general consensus is that it is a bad idea. Every time my wife decides to go off meds to avoid side effects, she gets into trouble (manic or depressive episode). But again, everyone is different.

T

Turtlewithhope

Hi Keith,

thank you for your thoughtful reply. As you say, everyone is different. I’d be interested in hearing more about your wife’s experience. Personally, I had my first manic episode in my late teens, had a couple of relapses the next two years and then started on lithium which I took for about 5 years until stable enough to go off it. Ever since, for over 20 years I have been medicine free and no issues, or possibly, in hindsight - minor ups and downs happened but never once was I manic or even hypomanic. I will with closely with my doctor to see how it evolves. I only got the diagnose of bipolar a year ago. Back then 20 years ago they said cycloid psychosis. All the best. -Turtle.

T

Turtlewithhope

Anyone else on here able to manage without medication?

Jam1990

Jam1990

I hope the Seroquel works out for you. I just recently started Seroquel around a month ago. I’m now on 300mg of it. It definitely makes it hard to get out of bed, but it doesn’t seem to make it hard to get going once you get up and moving. I was previously on Risperidone, and it worked for me, but not quite as well as the Seroquel. I don’t take mine for bipolar disorder though. Mine is for psychotic depression. I also noticed an increase in cravings for sugary foods taking Seroquel, so watch out for that. I hope everything evens out for you :)

G

Garnia

Anyone else on here able to manage without medication?
I didn’t take medicine for about 6 or 7 years. I had some manic times but never had to be hospitalized for it. My friends and family have just always known me to be moody. I finally decided for myself that I was tired of feeling manic and irritable and went to start the process of finding the right medication to be put on. In my situation, I was able to learn to control my actions with my mental illness, but it still sucked feeling that way. If I can’t find the right medicine though, I just won’t take anymore. I also wanted to mention that I can tell my mind is more fragile off of medicine. Meaning if I made any big decisions, like job change or relationship change, it would be very difficult for me and could cause mania. So my biggest suggestion is to make sure your life is extremely stable if you ever decided to try to quit medicine.

T

Turtlewithhope

I hope the Seroquel works out for you. I just recently started Seroquel around a month ago. I’m now on 300mg of it. It definitely makes it hard to get out of bed, but it doesn’t seem to make it hard to get going once you get up and moving. I was previously on Risperidone, and it worked for me, but not quite as well as the Seroquel. I don’t take mine for bipolar disorder though. Mine is for psychotic depression. I also noticed an increase in cravings for sugary foods taking Seroquel, so watch out for that. I hope everything evens out for you :)
thank you! That’s helpful.

K

keith74

Hi Keith,

thank you for your thoughtful reply. As you say, everyone is different. I’d be interested in hearing more about your wife’s experience. Personally, I had my first manic episode in my late teens, had a couple of relapses the next two years and then started on lithium which I took for about 5 years until stable enough to go off it. Ever since, for over 20 years I have been medicine free and no issues, or possibly, in hindsight - minor ups and downs happened but never once was I manic or even hypomanic. I will with closely with my doctor to see how it evolves. I only got the diagnose of bipolar a year ago. Back then 20 years ago they said cycloid psychosis. All the best. -Turtle.
My wife is diagnosed with bipolar 1. She is quite stable if there are no stressors in her life, or if the stressors are carefully maintained. She can go years and years without any issue. This leads her to get complacent sometimes and she will either lower the dosage on her own or sometimes even just stop taking it. And if there are no stressors, then she is totally fine even without any meds. The problem is if something very stressful unexpectedly happens while she is off her meds. She can completely fall apart without her meds whereas she may be able to cope better if she was on them. I liken the meds to a seatbelt and my wife being off her meds like driving a car without a seatbelt. She is total fine without that seatbelt... until she gets into an accident. If the accident (stressor) is serious, not wearing that seatbelt (meds) can be devastating.

B

boffin1252

I had to get blood cholesterol check and ecg monitor when I was on seriquel. It raises your bad cholesterol, leading to stroke heart attack.

T

Turtlewithhope

I had to get blood cholesterol check and ecg monitor when I was on seriquel. It raises your bad cholesterol, leading to stroke heart attack.
Thank you. I will hopefully only take this for a short period. Take care.

M

Marianda

Really?? I was taking seroquel ( quetiapine) 12.5mg to sleep. I l just stopped taking it last week because I could not walk . It caused me terrible muscle pain