Hypomania

Azelka

Azelka

Hey, I was wondering how we can guess we are going through hypomania period? I mean what are the first signs?

Skynet

Skynet

I had made a note of the following symptoms I experienced during my hypomanias of 2013. Here it is:

When I was hypomanic, I felt really good all the time. My perceptions were keener: I noticed reflections (of the street) on vehicles, vocal intonations, etc. Colors appeared brighter. Even when I touched something, I felt more features like temperature. I also had a better sense of direction and time. I was able to read people's body language and eye movements. (These features are drowned out by a fog of depression when I'm depressed.) When someone spoke, I could also "hear" their emotions and intentions. (This may have been because my brain worked faster.) Thus, I was able to connect better with people and was more outgoing. I also felt more confident in social situations. My reflexes were speedier and I felt more dexterous. I was also more expressive with regards to my facial expressions and vocal intonations. Sometimes, I had olfactory hallucinations. When I was hypomanic, I relied on instinct whereas when I'm depressed I rely on planning. A room (for example) appeared bigger when I was hypomanic than when I was depressed; this may have been because my depth perception was keener when I was hypomanic. I also felt much more creative when I was hypomanic than when I was depressed.

Hope that helps!

HauntedWitch

HauntedWitch

Hey, I was wondering how we can guess we are going through hypomania period? I mean what are the first signs?
I think it may vary from person to person, but hypomanic symptoms can involve increased impulsiveness, increased spending, more socially outgoing behavior, lack of appetite or lack of sleep, rapid speech, sudden bursts of high energy. The holidays and springtime are times to particularly beware of.