• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Hypomania in waves?

C

californiathoughts

For nearly four to five months, I've been more or less in a much more elevated state than I had been for many years. I feel pretty normal, but friends and family have all told me I've been hypomanic for a long time. To me, it feels more like I've unlocked the full potential of my brain because I've been able to express myself so easily. I used to feel so slow. Now I feel like I can learn anything I want to because it's so easy now. I'm improvising all the time and I don't find social situations that challenging anymore. I'm finally confident in myself and the things that have sent me into moody spirals have little to no effect on me.

Like I said, I feel normal at this point. I'm not buzzing with energy all of the time, but sometimes I have stretches of days to over a week of that lovely excitement. There was a period of time back in January when it became rather scary for some days (some auditory stuff), but it abated for a couple weeks before the elevation came back (albeit not to that extent). It's more or less been like this for months. The weeks of up then days/weeks of less up. Rinse and repeat.

While the people close to me have noted that I'm hypomanic, they aren't particularly concerned because my quality of life has improved so much. Except for my sleep and my appetite. There were two nights this year when I slept more than six hours. I average about four and a half each week, but that's just what my watch says. I don't notice much of a detriment to my functioning at all if that's the case. My life is so much better now overall. I'm not having those awful thoughts anymore that make me spiral when depressed. It's all gone.

If I'm more or less stable at this current medication regimen, is it really so bad that I not rock the med boat? The last time I was medicated for a hypomanic (they say manic) episode, I had to put up with awful side effects and I still ended up depressed afterwards leading to another inpatient stay. My instinct is to just ride this out, but I've never had this kind of elevation or at least mental clarity for a very long time, let alone the total absence of depression since last August. It's fantastic.

Anyway, is it normal to have hypomania to come in waves like this?

Thanks!

T

Turtlewithhope

Do I understand it right that you aren’t on any medication now? It does sound pretty nice to feel like this but we all know that it can spiral upwards and that you may be doing or saying things that aren’t entirely rational, plus, sleeping only 4-5 hours a night doesn’t quite seem enough? I had a similar longer period of being high, but within control and I felt great through it, but it did end with me going into a low after about 5 months. I also did see my psychiatrist and started on a low dose of Seroquel to help me sleep better and take the edge off the hypomanic thoughts. Good luck with it all and do keep us posted!!

JessisMe

JessisMe

What a wonderful feeling! It seems fine as long as you keep track of how you are doing and get to the doctor if it seems to escalate or if you start dropping. xo, j

C

californiathoughts

Do I understand it right that you aren’t on any medication now? It does sound pretty nice to feel like this but we all know that it can spiral upwards and that you may be doing or saying things that aren’t entirely rational, plus, sleeping only 4-5 hours a night doesn’t quite seem enough? I had a similar longer period of being high, but within control and I felt great through it, but it did end with me going into a low after about 5 months. I also did see my psychiatrist and started on a low dose of Seroquel to help me sleep better and take the edge off the hypomanic thoughts. Good luck with it all and do keep us posted!!
I'm on a solid regimen right now. Lamictal, Lithium, Effexor, and Risperidone. Not particularly high doses, but much much fewer pills than I was taking a couple years ago.

And thanks!

Wishbone

Wishbone

The thing that causes concern here is you mentioning auditory stuff because that obviously shouldn't be happening. It's good that you feel better in yourself and I guess a lot of it is weighing up how you typically are with how you feel at the minute, and also with if you think this could be a sustainable mood and a safe one at that. Can I ask: how long have you been on the Effexor?

C

californiathoughts

The thing that causes concern here is you mentioning auditory stuff because that obviously shouldn't be happening. It's good that you feel better in yourself and I guess a lot of it is weighing up how you typically are with how you feel at the minute, and also with if you think this could be a sustainable mood and a safe one at that. Can I ask: how long have you been on the Effexor?
I've been taking my current dose of Effexor for nearly two years without any mania issues as far as I know.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Ok. No other changes in meds recently? Including any non-psych meds?

C

californiathoughts

Ok. No other changes in meds recently? Including any non-psych meds?
I was prescribed temazepam to help with my sleep since this, but other than that no.