• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Hypomaina

B

Beckib

Why does this always happen... My hypomania has totally gone I've gone from doing everything to doing nothing.. I hate being like this especially when there seems to be nothing you can do about it. My cpn is calling today I will talk to her

A

Aurelius

Beckib I hope this helps. A summary from current mainstream research - so none of it is for sure yet.

Hypomania usually occurs in short bursts, so I guess this burst has come to an end. Research into what causes hypomania has yet to provide a full answer. Currently genetics, neurobiology (brain structure and neurochemical processes - singularly or in combination), and the central nervous system (CNS) are thought to be involved. What is involved may be different for different people and/or at different stages of a person's life.

There is quite a lot of evidence about things that can trigger an episode and these again can vary from person to person, from situation to situation, and from one stage of lifespan development to another. Triggers may also reflect those aspects that make a particular person potentially vulnerable to an onset of hypomania, i.e., the impact illness on the functioning of the CNS, the impact of stress, drugs, alcohol, etc on chemical balances or on how parts of the brain respond/function etc.

Why episodes stop is thought to involve changes in the neurological/neurochemical factors involved in causing and maintaining hypomanic responses in the particular individual.

A

Aurelius

I should have mentioned the central nervous system (CNS) includes hypothalamus hormones and hormone levels and neurotransmitters (such as dopamine).