• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Hypochondriac?

C

CasuallyObsessed

Always self diagnosing myself.

Here I go again, I guess.

I can't face the fact I'm 'normal' , it's like I want to have a label. NOT because I think it's cool, if I was diagnosed with something I'd be distraught and be terrified yet at the same time relief I was right all along.

I'd say this has gone on for about a year now. (Symptoms for longer, self-diagnosing it a few months later).

During my times I've 'had' Seasonal Affective Disorder, Bipolar, Borderline Personality Disorder .. just name it and I've imagined I've had it. Yet still in my mind I don't know if it's imagining. Help?

I mean I know some of the thoughts are completely irrational and I'm diagnosing something completely normal yet other times I still feel what I'm doing isn't right and therefore there's something wrong with me.

I can word stuff in two ways - the way which makes me sound like I've just made it all up in my head or the other which just makes me sound like a mess who needs help. What can I do? I'm completely lost. :help:

By the way, I'm 15 so that instantly makes people say "you're a teenager, get over yourself", I know, I know.

A

Ainsworth

:welcome: i dunno, i dont think its about 'just getting over it because you are a teenager'

when i was a teenager we didnt have access to the internet so didnt even try and guess what was wrong with me, just i was different and wanted to die.

my mum had Hypochondria, it is a nightmare to be around (sorry dont mean to sound harsh) but it destroyed my childhood and imo the difference between someone 'thinking' they have something to someone 'acting' the part and involving others is a step away from each other. (does that make sense to you?)

F

familycrisis

hmmm

Have you thought about talking to your school counselor? I think you should talk to someone. If you are constantly trying to figure out your DX you most likely have something going. Most likely depression. I read a great book called "beating the blues". It help me. However, it wouldn't hurt for you to talk to someone, a professional.

Then again, I remember when I went to graduate school and I was taking my course in Diagnosis. Almost everyone in my class at one time or another made a comment that they say themselves in every diagnosis.

I think this is true because we all experience a wide range of emotions and we all experience at some time in our life various mental health challenges.

T

The Ghost Of Troubled Joe

I know exactly what you mean: Sometimes I wonder whether I'm just a hypochondriac. I too, over the past few years have been utterly self-obsessed in my mission to diagnose the symptoms which have plagued me.

There are a few of things to consider though:

1. The ironic thing is that, if you are 'just' a hypochondriac, you do actually have something wrong with you. Hypochondriasis, whilst not as serious as others, is still defined as a mental disorder.

2. It often co-exists with other mental disorders. The obsessive checking and diagnosing, is not so different from obsessive-compulsive behaviour. The absolute fear of illness, clearly has some association with an anxiety disorder.

3. Physicians and doctors can tell a hypochondriac, worried about a physical illness, that it's all in their head. Surely the same cannot be true regarding a fear about mental illness, because the root of mental illness is in our heads anyway.

It's a debate that leaves me baffled. I'd love to hear more of what you think, let me know.

Anyway, I hope you find the right solution to your problems.

Take care