Hypnotherapy...

S

starkel

Hi everyone!

I was just wondering if anyone had ever tried hypnotherapy to help with eating disorders?
I have been plagued by this all for years and have wanted to try this as I think it might help, although my doctor has been dismissive of it. I think I might go ahead with some sessions but was wondering if anyone knows first hand if if it's effective?

Thanks in advance :)

RainbowHeartz

RainbowHeartz

hello and welcome to the forums xx

no i havent had any experience with it but it sounds like a great idea

S

starkel

Thank you : )

Yeah, I think it might be worth a try and if it doesn't work at least I'd have given it a go. x

BlueGlass

BlueGlass

ACCOUNT CLOSED
what ed you got? ive got binge eating disorder and had a bit of hypnotherapy for it. i donno if it helped as i only had one session before i chickened out, it was good but i just have social anxiety. i think it would be beinifical if i had stuck it out.
i think it is defo worth a shot for any ed, if you got the money and usually you only needs a few sessions so isn't that bad.

S

starkel

Was anorexic but got myself to a stable weight and now it's ednos as I have characteristics and episodes of both restriction and purging without the binging aspect.
I think a few sessions might help. I know it might cost a bit but it would be worth it, even if it just helped slightly.
Thanks for your advice :)

I'm Kate

I'm Kate

Hello.

I had a truly miraculous experience linked with a phobia that had become part of my ED. I had lost the nerve to eat and drink in front of others and this had led us to cancelling family holidays, not even going for the day, etc. Also, the only place I could eat or drink was in my house and car, and this had a major impact. I got to the point where, faced with a mandatory family meal, I was suicidal because I could not see beyond that family meal. I just couldn't cope along with some mental health stuff. The thought of eating in a restaurant was just an unachievable event. But I had two sessions of hypnotherapy. After coming out of a hypnotic trance at the first session, I found myself asking her for a glass of water and promptly drank this in front of the therapist in her house. This was followed up later that day with coffee with friends and a drink in a pub that night. It was surreal but amazing!! And two days later, after my second hypnotherapy session, I found myself unexpectedly having the confidence that night to eat in a restaurant with my teenagers. Whilst I still have an ED and I've a way to go, this should me that I'm extremely receptive to hypnotherapy and that changes can happen. I'd like to have more sessions but I'm also doing trauma therapy which I need to focus on. I was a complete sceptic before but, with suicide notes written, I had absolutely nothing to lose and I made it through to that family meal....two courses!!

Kate xx

S

starkel

Hi Kate,

Thanks so much for sharing your experience! I have always thought it was something worth trying but I had let other people's opinions get in the way. I know not everyone is as receptive to it, but I think half the battle is going in with the right attitude towards it and I think it might help me.
What you've gotten from it is amazing and just confirms that I should give it a try.
If that's the progress you had with two sessions, I can only imagine what the possibilities would be with a few more. It's brilliant that it has given you such a positive result and you are always able to go back when you have finished your other therapy.
Thanks so much again and I hope everything keeps going from strength to strength for you, although I'm sure it will, given what you've already achieved!!! :) x

I'm Kate

I'm Kate

Glad that my response helped, Starkel.

Prior to booking, started by emailing a couple of hypnotherapists with some background info to see the type of response I got. They both replied but one response oozed with compassion and this gave me the confidence to see her. Getting the right person is so important. Do feel free to pm me if you have any questions x

S

starkel

Thanks so much for your advice Kate- I wouldn't have thought of emailing around but you're right about the right person being important, so I will definitely email around and hopefully get things started!
Thanks again and I will keep you posted on what's happening :) x

S

starkel

Just an update Kate. I've found a hypnotherapist who appears to be good going by their website so I emailed him yesterday evening explaining my circumstances and enquiring about the cost so hopefully he gets back to me.

Thanks again for your help! :)

I'm Kate

I'm Kate

Hello Starkel

I'm really glad that you found someone and hopefully you'll get a positive and constructive response from him

X

L

Luann

222 Columbus, #322 San Francisco, California 94133
Actually, Hypnotherapy can also be used to help individuals suffering from eating disorders. Hypnosis is used to identify the root cause of the problem so that the emotional aspect can be dealt with. Negative behaviour patterns can be looked at and more positive habits can be learnt.

G

georstim

How many sessions of hypnosis need to go through to come improved digestion?