Hypnotherapy

E

Evil Weasel

has anyone tried hypnotherapy? I want to get rid of some old memories, ones that pop into my head constantly. I've tried some other things, not tried talking therapy (not properly) and i don't want to as I can't be honest with my therapist because my beliefs are too unreal (I'd be classed as delusional but I am not). I wondered if hypnotherapy could work? I need to get rid of an extremely negative set of memories. Ones which will never make sense and so no amount of talking or picking it apart (I've tried and ended up even more crazy) will work.

E

Evil Weasel

does anyone have any thoughts on this? Because it is my thread I doubt it.

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
i am not sure what hypnotherapy can help with, have you looked at EMDR i think that is meant to help with bad memories.

i had one session of hypnotherapy, i dont think it suited me as i cannot relax as i have bad social anxiety.

E

Evil Weasel

i am not sure what hypnotherapy can help with, have you looked at EMDR i think that is meant to help with bad memories.

i had one session of hypnotherapy, i dont think it suited me as i cannot relax as i have bad social anxiety.
Thank you for your thoughts. I don't know what that is but it's ok. Thank you.

E

Evil Weasel

Just looked up the edmr sounds like a novel way to go through things but I have not had childhood trauma, thanks anyway.

L

la femme foufolle

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I don't think it would work for me, I can't relax. But I know someone who used it for OCD and said it worked for a while. No doubt your doctor would disapprove. I don't know much about it but if you really want to try it then you should. As I say it worked for my friend. But it doesn't work forever and you probably have to keep getting it for it to do so, this will cost a lot of money. I would see how you get on with some sessions.

Good luck. :hug5:

N

nounandnoun

I've tried some other things, not tried talking therapy (not properly) and i don't want to as I can't be honest with my therapist because my beliefs are too unreal (I'd be classed as delusional but I am not).
I've never tried hypnotherapy so have no advice there but where you say you don't want talking therapy cause you are concerned the therapist will see you as delusional, well, if you have therapy through a charity (or privately i would guess) then it won't matter if the therapist thinks you are delusional as they are separate from the NHS and won't "raise concerns" about you. Your doctor won't know and no-one will try to prescribe you extra meds. Just a thought

E

Evil Weasel

I've never tried hypnotherapy so have no advice there but where you say you don't want talking therapy cause you are concerned the therapist will see you as delusional, well, if you have therapy through a charity (or privately i would guess) then it won't matter if the therapist thinks you are delusional as they are separate from the NHS and won't "raise concerns" about you. Your doctor won't know and no-one will try to prescribe you extra meds. Just a thought
Thank you. It doesn't matter now. But thanks.