hypnotherapy for anxiety

S

slansell

Hi, 1st post so be nice! Does anyone have experience of hypnotherapy for anxiety, panic or depression. On the waiting list for cbt again but wondered if it would be worth trying something different.

Dita85

Dita85

We're always nice :)

I can't give you advice, hypnotherapy is not something I have had, but just wanted to say welcome to the forum :welcome:

R

ranger

I am not quite sure exactly what hypnotherapy is. Combination of talking therapies and use of hypnotic techniques from the name but haven't a clue. Have never explored these ideas previously.

Hypnosis can work for phobias so why not anxieties. Who knows. Could be worth a shot but think it could well be very pricey. There is an alternative therapies clinic in my home town, all sorts there, acupuncture, indian head massages, reikkii etc.

I remember going to a mind, body and soul fayre with my ex girlfriend many years ago and she actually had someone do so called reikki on her, which was very bizarre in the extreme. I know she was left totally non plussed by it.:)

Welcome to the forum though. Hope you feel comfortable here.

Ranger:)

speckles

speckles

Hypnotherapy can work but it also a type of therapy that is easily open to abuse. Thus you need not just go to any one who says they can do it, you need to check credentials and speak to people who have had it from that person, find out what organisation they are affiliated with, who supervises them. It is unregulated largely so anyone can set themselves up, so you need to do your research - having said that it doesn't mean it may not be a helpful approach.

0RRHH1

That's quite annoying, i have just spent the last two hours writing the most detailed personal experience of hypnotherapy to give you the best possible insight i could and the computer has just scrapped it for me, yep thanks for that.

Sorry i don't have the time to sit and write the entire thing again but i'll just say i go on a weekly basis for quite severe depression and my experience has been that it has been the best form of therapy i've had. I've had other forms of counselling that have helped but nothing that's helped me quite to the extent of hypnotherapy. It's really good.

As Speckles points out though it is largely self-regulated, as is most alternative medicine, so you need to research your therapist quite well beforehand.

My original post was much more extensive so sorry about that. I would highly recommend it though, that's my own personal experience though, i'm no expert but it's been really helpful for me.

S

slansell

Thank you all. I would of course research who to go with and check credentials. Would have lked to read of your experience but understand computers are frustrating. This has all helped me. Thank you all.

0RRHH1

Thank you all. I would of course research who to go with and check credentials. Would have lked to read of your experience but understand computers are frustrating. This has all helped me. Thank you all.
Yes it was so annoying, my response had loads of info in it. I'll try and recap some of it for you.

I did discuss hypnotherapy with my MH worker before starting. He is a qualified nurse as well as a substance misuse counsellor so i sought his advice before starting it because obviously his input is important because it may well affect what he is planning to do with me. He did say that a lot of General Practitioners and Nurses also train as hypnotherapists and are strong advocates for it, although as with any alternative medicine opinion is divided in the main stream medical profession so just be aware that if you discuss it with your GP first or your MH worker s/he maybe a fan or they may not be. As Speckles pointed out it is largely an unregulated area, well to be more precise it's mainly self-regulated but i think that is the case with pretty much all "alternative" medicine. An interesting fact my MH worker gave me though was that any medical doctor or nurse who trains and then practices as a hypnotherapist is then bound by the same medical code of conduct that they are bound by when operating in their standard medical profession.

Things to look out for when selecting a hypnotherapist are, obviously recomendations from people, that's always a good sign. How long they have been practicing, if they are no good then chances are they are not likely to have been in practice for the last ten or fifteen years. And although they do not need formal qualifications to practice all good hypnotherapists will have undertaken a very extensive period of training and should also belong to a independent professional body that can be verified and checked out. So always check their training and qualifications. Also, look at previous employment history, has this person worked in a medical or professional health care role before. My own hypnotherapist worked for a national substance misuse counselling organisation that is very well known. In fact i had actually attended the very centre where she used to work.

As for the hypnotherapy itself. Be aware that you need to have a good personal connection with your therapist. You really do need to click with them. A typical session usually lasts in the region of an hour or just under. This is not an hour of hypnotherapy, there is a strong counselling element and you will spend a long time talking with your therapist about your problems and your life in general. If you do not feel comfortable talking with them then this will be very difficult. Don't think to yourself oh well it's all ok provided they can do the hypnotherapy bit ok. I had previously been to a lot of counselling so i am quite used to talking about my problems but all the same i still need to be relaxed and feel comfortable talking with my therapist. My advice would be to keep looking if you attend a preliminary session with a hypnotherapist and you really don't feel comfortable talking with them. If you have not previously attended much counselling and you are struggling to talk about stuff then also be aware that it may not be the therapist you are uncomfortable with but you are simply having problems getting used to talking about your problems. If this is the case the best advice i can give is to stick with it because it does get much easier. When i first started attending counselling (this is general counselling i'm talking about a few years ago) i found it very difficult to open up and talk about stuff. I remember my counseller saying to me after a few weeks that i was starting to talk more but i was obviously still finding it difficult because my whole body language was not at ease. She pointed out that i was talking to her but my whole body was not facing her but was facing the wall, i was litterally not just looking the other way but i was completely facing the other way. If this is the case with you i can asure you it does get easier with time. But it will be much easier if you are with someone you are at ease with. Don't be afraid to say no this isn't working for me if you are not totally at ease with your therapist. It's nothing personal, you could even wait till you get home and then just email them and say something like, i'm just not ready for this yet, or i'm not totally at ease talking about stuff yet so i need more time to build up to this. If they are professional they will accept this as part of the job. If they don't then you don't want them anyway. I rejected one therapist before i even met him because he was way too pushy, he kept emailing me whilst i was making my decision and i hate being pushed into something, i think most people do, nobody likes that pushy car salesman syndrome. With my therapist she just emailed me and asked me a few questions and then gave me some initial feedback and then left it at that for me to get back to her if i wanted to. I left it for a bit and then met up with her and felt comfortable talking with her so that was my decision made. I obviously checked out her background and training and all that stuff but she was just really pleasant and easy going and put me at ease.

Hypnotherapy really was the last resort for me, i had been to so many types of counselling and therapy and treatment that worked well whilst i was doing them but then i always found myself slipping back after the treatment finished, in some cases to worse than i was before the treatment started. I was rejected for some types of NHS treatment because my problems were considered too severe but then i wasn't referred on further for other types of treatment because my problems were not severe enough to warrant some types of treatment. In short i had been through the entire range of treatment that was open to me and kept slipping back every time. I was at the end of my tether i really was. I just tried hypnotherapy as a last ditch effort to try and do something to improve my MH. I can honestly say it has been the best and most effective form of treatment i have had for my MH, and also the most effective in keeping me stable over a period of time. The thing with hypnotherapy is that the basic idea is not just to go and get hypnotised once a week by your therapist, it's more along the lines of they teach your the basic tools so you can then go off and do self-hypnosis sessions as well. I have a hypnosis CD that i listen to several times a week and i also do daily self-hypnosis sessions. The more you do them the more you'll find it easier to slip into the trance. So it's not just about the work you do with your therapist but also the work you put in yourself. My therapist tells me that not all patients can do self-hypnosis because they can't concentrate sufficiently to make it work for them. If that's the case i would just recommend doing short sessions to start with and then perhaps building up to longer sessions. I now have a routine whereby i do a self-hypnosis session every night when i get in bed, it's my wind down technique. I also try and fit in a session at some point during the day as well. I find i can now go into really deep restful trances that are really invigorating and very renewing.

If i would offer one word of warning it would be to not go with a hypnosis is not going to work on me frame of mind. If you fight it you will struggle to get into and you will not get the most from it. This is also why you need to be comfortable with your therapist, you have to be willing to let them guide you with their voice and just put yourself in their hands. If you can do that then you really will benefit enormously from it.

Anyway, i hope this gives you some of the missing detail that the computer so helpfully trashed last night. I would highly recommend it, in fact i can't recommend it highly enough, it really has helped turn my life around. I know i still have work to do on my MH but the progress i have made through hypnotherapy in the last six months is more than i made in the last five years through traditional approaches. I'd say go for it most definitely. Feel free to PM me if you need any further info or would like to talk in private.

Best of luck.
P.s. you are not going to believe this but this time the forum tried to scrap my post. It timed me out. This really does need to be looked at if possible. Fortunately this time i had the foresight to make a copy of my post before pressing the submit button. I'm glad i did because i have just spent ages writing this, (i am a very slow writer) and i wanted to give as much helpful info to the OP as possible. I definitely would not have had the time, or patience to write this for a third time. Why time me out, especially if i am making a post. I have heard other people complain about this as well. This is really important information i am trying to give to somone who is in need, this information, and others' information that get's scrapped as well, is really important for people. This is a health care website where people with very severe problems come for support and advice. Sorry i don't meant to have a go at anybody, i really admire all the people that put in their time and effort to make this site work so please don't think i'm having a go, it's just that this problem does need to be looked at please because this is really important stuff we are talking about here.

S

slansell

Thank you. Time out seems stupid when people are writing well thought out posts. Im glad its all working out for you. And i feel more sure hypnotherapy is for me now. Cos my issue is my subconscious therapys that talk to me are no good cos its not me that is irrational its inside so talk directly to it. Thank you for all your advice.ive never known a forum without hosility and troll acusations on a first post. Your all lovely.xx

0RRHH1

Thank you. Time out seems stupid when people are writing well thought out posts. Im glad its all working out for you. And i feel more sure hypnotherapy is for me now. Cos my issue is my subconscious therapys that talk to me are no good cos its not me that is irrational its inside so talk directly to it. Thank you for all your advice.ive never known a forum without hosility and troll acusations on a first post. Your all lovely.xx
If it's your subconscious you are struggling with then hypnotherapy will be brilliant for you. If you absorb the lessons fully and and really try to get into it then it will transform your life. It really does teach you to think in different ways consciously and subsonsciously, it basically opens up new path ways in your brain which allow you to dispense with entrenched types of thinking and engage in more positive and self-affirming ways of thinking, behaviour and feeling. The great thing about it is the more you practice the better you become at it and the more benefit you get out of it. It's almost like yoga or pilates for the mind. You'll be thinking more positively, confidently, you'll have less depression, stress and anxiety. It's important to maintian a regular routine with it though. Like i said before i try and fit at least one session in every day, i'm not saying you have to do that but the more the better. That's why i always have a self-hypnosis session when i get into bed at night: one it's an ideal way to relax and prepare for sleep, there's not likely to be any distractions, and also if you haven't had time to do a session during the day it guarantees you at least one session that day. Your self-hypnosis sessions can last anything from five minutes upto thirty-forty minutes if you really get into it. Perhaps try shorter sessions to start with and then work up to longer ones when you find yourself getting more into it. I now regularly do sessions in the region of 30-45 minutes, i really enjoy it but i also get so much from it. As i stated previousy i still have work to do with my MH but the amount of progress i have made through hypnotherapy is astounding. I still struggle with eating as regularly as i should, i am still far from the finished article. But the one thing i no longer suffer with is the continual thoughts of serious self-harm, these thoughts were continual, well they were daily, at times they hardly ever left me, and they were serious thoughts of self-harm not vague thoughts of oh i might do something silly. I'd got to the stage of thinking when am i going to commit suicide rather than if i might one day do it. I can honestly say that i never have those thoughts anymore, sure i still get down days but they no longer result in those thoughts. I no longer spend hours sitting by myself with tears in my eyes thinking i wish i wasn't alive and i wish i had the courage to kill myself. That's such a massive change and also such a relief to be freed from those thoughts. There are no quick fixes as we all know but hypnotherpy has moved me so far from where i was in such a positive way.

Yes some people will say that it's too expensive, well yes it's not the cheapest form of therapy but when i measure how much i have spent to how much of a difference it has made to the quality of my life then, for me, it has been worth every single penny.

Remember just to get someone you are comfortable with and then also relax into it, go with your therapists voice, they are taking you on a journey, a journey of self-discovery where you'll learn so much about yourself and your own mind and what your mind can achieve for you if you teach it how to. We've all heard those statistics which state something like we only use one third or half of our brain capacity or something like that anyway, i'm convinced that hypnotherapy unleashes a good deal of that unlocked potential. I'm so glad i started this form of therapy, i wish i had started earlier. Go for it and let me know how you get on if you do. As i said previously feel free to PM me if you'd like any info or need to talk in private. Best of luck. Now i'm going to make a copy of this before hitting the submit button.

D

DeniseCWilhite

Thank your for post

D

DeniseCWilhite

Hypnotherapy is a wonderful therapy for anxiety. It is very effective therapy, that's helping people overcome variety of problems. When I heard about this site then wanted to know what exactly needed for anxiety? By the way, thanks for all whom are posted their opinion about anxiety on this site.