• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Hypnosis

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Just wondered if anyone had tried this and if it had any effect. Ive heard about it conquering smoking and fears and phobias plus making people act like fools on stage, but wondered if it could help with depression or low self esteem.

It seems logical that it should if in other circumstances it can change your behaviour , then why not in MH issues. Surely if it really worked then it would be valid treatment rather than pumping you full of drugs?:confused:

connect

connect

Admin
Hypnosis can certainly be used for helping with self-esteem. When I was going through a low period, I found a paraliminal (where two messages are spoken at the same time, one in each ear - so you'll need stereo headphones) called "self-esteem supercharger" really useful. It's quite expensive if you buy it, but the link is here: http://www.learningstrategies.com/paraliminal/SelfEsteem.asp

I haven't heard as much about hypnosis being used for depression, but a quick Google search showed that there are therapists who combine CBT with hypnosis in the treatment of depression, see for example here: http://www.depression-therapist.co.uk/

(P.S. do you mind if I move this thread to the Self-Help/Treatments section?)

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Not at all. I was wondering where it would fit in. Can you also amend the title to hypnosis.

Thanks
Val

icetsunami

icetsunami

Founding Member
I couldn't possibly advocate it due to strict laws of copyright, publishing and intellectual property but expensive 'products' can be be downloaded from the net if you have bit torrent (legal) or similar application.
I imagine if you were desperate, had no money and no access to an appropriate support service you may feel inclined to follow this route.
Again, and obviously, I wouldn't condone or promote such an activity. That would be very, very naughty. :innocent:

Ashami

Ashami

Founding Member
I have had six sessions of hypnotherapy several years ago. Although my reason for seeking out a hypnotherapist was not depression I would suggest that it could be helpful for building self-esteem or fighting depression. I believe that the right hypnotherapist and an open minded client can be a powerful tool for recovery.

As far as I'm aware hypnotherapy is simply a way of tapping into our subconscious minds whereby we get to discover things we are not consciously aware of. Once we discover these things hypnotherapy helps us to reframe our thought patterns, just like CBT, NLP, EFT etc...

Paul Mckenna's approach I think is interesting. He combines hypnotherapy, NLP & EFT in treatment of phobias, fears, depression etc. and it appears to be a very powerful approach. I loved hypnotherapy and found it very successful. At the very least it cured me of road rage and it went as far as resolving a lot of grief I was suffering, aswell as helping me to write a book! It didn't stop my depression developing but that's a whole other story.

Definitely something to try I reckon as long as you can find a good hypnotherapist, someone with experience under their belt.

connect

connect

Admin
Finding a good hypnotherapist can be a problems as qualified hypnotherapists are very much in a minority. Anyone can 'dabble' in hypnosis with only a very basic understanding of it. So you should seek out someone who is registered with one of the major hypnosis societies in the UK, i.e. BSECH, BSMDH, BSMDH (Scotland), BSMDH Mets & South, or RSM Section of Hypnosis & Psychosomatic Medicine.

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
It would save the NHS a lot of money if hypnosis did work because after six months of therapy I've still not sussed what my underlying issues are.
Maybe a few sessions plus some ect would sort me out.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Thanks for that Ahbutt. I watched it on catch up tv. Makes for intersting watching. I would have been interested in her opinion after she was hypnotsed away from the cameras tho. It seemed a strange place to stop.

The bit with the dentist was amazing tho. She was in more distress watching it than the woman going thru it. It does seem in certain circumstances it may be helpful.

Aahbut

Aahbut

The bit with the dentist had me squirming in my seat. How she could stand there and watch it was beyond me :scared:

Aahbut

Bluemoon

Bluemoon

Founding Member
I'm thinking about using hypnotherapy to reduce the voices I hear - the medications I take to correct the chemical side of it aren't doing it so it must be an underlying psychological cause instead. If only I could have it done on the NHS, which I can't as there isn't anyone available in my area - I will have to fund it myself if I want to try it :unsure:.