• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Hypnosis as a form of punishment

chesterking

chesterking

The reason I am noticing all these things now, is because I have been doing meditation for a long time now. I can see things now which I could not see before. Meditation has made me more aware and given me clarity.

I think using hypnotism to punish people is wrong. There are better ways.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was in a rehabilitation unit for 1 1/2 years and in the last 3 to 4 months there, they changed my medication to another anti-psychotic medication (clozaril) for no reason at all. All of a sudden I developed a strange condition, where I would yell 'I said NO!' at the top of my voice all day long. This happened for 3 to 4 months.

I think this was punishment for me being abusive.

When I mentioned this to the doctors, to how that occurred, they said that it was an adverse reaction. If it was an adverse reaction to change of medication then why not stop the treatment after two weeks and put me back on my old medication. Why allow me to continue to shout at the top of my voice for the next 3 to 4 months. Something does not make sense here. This incident happened more than 10 years ago.

Surely a better way to punish somebody for being abusive, is to have a good talk with the patient about his behaviour, give him a leaflet to read about his bad behaviour and then give three warnings and if they don't listen, to confine them to their bedroom for 3 to 4 days in solitary confinement. If this doesn't work, then a period of a further week.

My two social workers that come to see me, have believed what I said. They said it was an issue I have to take up with the people that did it. I also have many witnesses who were there at the time.

I believe another time when I was hypnotised is when I went to a mental hospital more than 17 years back.
I saw a lad when I went to see the psychiatrist when I was living at home. He said hello to my father and sat down next to me. All of a sudden he started to swing back and forward while sitting down. He was moving his body backward and forward.
The following day I developed the same condition. I was like this for several days. I found it impossible to do anything. Funny I was feeling okay before I went to see the psychiatrist for my appointment
My father then said to me that I was going to hospital because of this condition.
They then decided to change my medication because of this condition. They took me off my old medication and put me on another anti-psychotic medication (clozaril)
The psychiatrist then came back a few days later and said there was something wrong with my blood. The psychiatrist then said that I had come off all medication all together.

So, I could take no medication whatsoever. It was like this for a week??? or so. During this period, it was like complete hell.

I was knocking on the nurses door every 5 minutes asking for my old medication back. It felt really bad. I think I was suffering withdrawal symptoms.

Also during this time I developed breathing difficulties. I was really struggling to breathe. Every time I told my psychiatrist, he said 'You look alright to me' and 'Don't worry'

I believe hypnosis was used on me to make me believe that I had breathing difficulties.

They put me back on my old medication, after a week or so, and then I felt better and the swinging condition that I developed disappeared.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another time I had a dream. When I woke up the same nurses and people that were in my dream were standing in front of me. They were sniggering and laughing.

This happened another time as well. One time I had an inappropriate dream. When I woke up from my sleep, the same nurses that were in my dream were standing there or walking past me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder do any other people have the same experience as me?
Could you tell me what your experiences were of being hypnotised?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

chesterking

chesterking

17 Jan

I remember when I walked into a mental hospital on my first day.
I think this was 15 years back????
I saw 8 young men sleeping. They were all sleeping on their sides.
This was late in the morning at 11 am???
At the time I thought it, maybe they were just tired from the night before.
I now realise that they could have been hypnotised and then made to sleep it off.
Maybe they were injected with some thing.
They were all sleeping on their right hand sides, which now I think is very unusual. When there eight people sleeping altogether should they not have different sleeping positions? Strange.
I am now thinking, are all the patients in a mental hospital there because they have done something wrong and are they being punished by hypnotism?

If this is the case, I think this is morally wrong.

And who knows, maybe they were framed to make them look bad.

I think families threatening to commit other family members to a mental hospital if they speak out about abuse and mistreatment at home, is just morally wrong.I think its time the system was changed.

chesterking

chesterking

Other patients

At Shelton Hospital I saw a lot of bizarre behaviour by other patients. One guy in his 50's, he had a grey beard. He would open and close the door many, many times in the living room. At the time, I thought it was because of his mental illness.

Another time, I saw another patient, who thought the floor was opening up in front of him and he thought he was going fall in.
He was always trying to escape the mental hospital, but the nurses always caught him and bought him back.
I now understand why he was trying to escape. I mean being hypnotised, so that a patients nightmare comes true, is wrong, just plain wrong.

I saw another young patient. Every where he walked, he walked around with his eyes closed. I'm surprised he did not bump into people. Yet he could talk to me and he made sense. He then looked like he was really going to hurt himself. He had his eyes closed while he was doing this. At the time I wasn't thinking nothing. I thought maybe he was just feeling suicidal. He thought the police were after him. I remember a nurse telling him, not to worry.

Could this behaviour have been caused by hypnosis?

Is it right for doctors or anyone to use hypnosis, as a tool for punishment or a tool for fun?

Surely solitary confinement is a better way to punish people.

Last edited by a moderator:
SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Hiya,
I've never known of hypnosis being used but then i've only had more recent experiences of being in hospital.
I just wanted to say what you're writing sounds quite distressing and i'm sorry you've had such bad experiences.

Perhaps some older members here may have similar experiences and be able to help you more.

chesterking

chesterking

Strange incident at a rehabilitation unit

It was like in a dream state. I had no control over what I was saying or doing.

I remember knocking on the nurses office, and I said that I wanted a blood test for some weird reason.

The doctor then injected me with something, and the next thing I remember was waking up and I had electrodes attached to me and I was connected to an ECG machine. The doctor was smiling. I was undressed lying in bed. A nurse walked in and out of my bedroom. The bedroom door was wide open. Then a young lad who was in the bedroom next to me, walked in and out of my bedroom as well.
The head nurse then walked in and told the doctor, 'What have you done that for?' He then flapped his arms and walked out of my bedroom.

I was then put into the top room of the house. I felt like I wanted to do something. The strange thing I did not feel suicidal at that time. So why did I have this desire. It was like I was in dream like state. I had no control over my actions or over what I was doing.
I remember seeing people, a young couple with a pram from up there.

Some time later the head nurse said do you want to go for a walk. It was I like in a dream like state. I said yes, and I went for a walk around the garden.

Then I remember going in the car, with the head nurse on one side and a nurse on the other side. That's strange because I did not feel suicidal at that time.

I then remember when I was back at hospital and the same head nurse from the rehab unit said do you want to go back to unit. I said 'No'. The he smiled.
At the time I did not realise that I had been hypnotised. I just thought it was an adverse reaction to the medication that I was put on.

There were twelve other patients that were there and maybe they can testify to everything that I have said. I was shouting quite loudly for 3 to 4 months. Somebody must have heard me.

I think one of patients next door to my bedroom in the rehab unit committed suicide. I am not quite sure why. They said because his mother had died. But I don't believe this version.

Last edited by a moderator:
SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Chesterking, I understand completely if you couldn't ever face trusting a mental health professional again.. it sounds like you've been through and witnessed so much.. but have you considered talking to a private counsellor about all of this?
I just think that it all sounds quite traumatic. I appreciate you're expressing things on this forum and that's good, but it might help you to talk to someone 'in real life' to help unburden you of this.

chesterking

chesterking

Hi Somersetscorpio, I don't feel traumatised. I just want to make sure it doesn't happen to me again and doesn't happy to anybody else again. It's time this practice was banned. Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it.

chesterking

chesterking

Not sleeping for many weeks - hypnosis???

Incident at the rehab unit

After they took off the clozaril, I remember not being able to sleep for many many weeks. I even remember phoning my dad and telling him that I could not sleep.

Now I know this is not possible. How come I did not sleep for that many weeks?

I think I was hypnotised into believing I could not sleep.

I have no memory of what happened after that.

Gajolene

Gajolene

I've been on medications that have made it almost impossible to sleep, they gave me additional medications to combat the insomnia and be able to sleep again as an addition to the medication I was on. I doubt it would be a hypnosis type thing. More than likely from your medications being changed or from your psychosis itself if you were very ill when you were admitted.

chesterking

chesterking

I'm 100 % sure it was hypnosis. In fact I believe it with all my heart. I was not ill at all when I was at the unit. The idea of being at the unit was for rehabilitation, to get me more independent, working and doing things for myself.
It doesn't matter what somebody says after my post, I am 100% certain.

Before then I never had sleeping problems in my life.

Last edited:
chesterking

chesterking

Eyesight problems after being hypnotised

Also during this time I developed breathing difficulties. I was really struggling to breathe. Every time I told my psychiatrist, he said 'You look alright to me' and 'Don't worry'

I believe hypnosis was used on me to make me believe that I had breathing difficulties.

This is a follow on from the article:

A nurse then gave me an asthma inhaler. I took about more then 10 puffs of this. But it said on it that I should only take no more than 3 puffs. That's how bad I felt. After that, my vision was affected. It was very blurry. I could not see nothing clearly whatsoever. My vision is still affected to this day, due to that incident. People far away look like a blur. It's only when they are 10 metres or less away from me, can I see their faces clearly. And this is more than 15 years on from the time this has happened.

chesterking

chesterking

All of a sudden I developed a strange condition, where I would yell 'I said NO!' at the top of my voice all day long. This happened for 3 to 4 months.

Now I realise why they did this. They wanted to make an example out of me, they wanted to teach me a lesson. They wanted to put the fear of God into me and every one else that lived in that rehab. unit. so that patients would not dare swear at the nurses or doctors again. But this was the wrong way to go about it. Seclusion would have been better.

Towards the end of that experience, I did feel suicidal because of that incident. I started to punch the walls out of frustration and also jumped and rammed my stomach into the top of the chair.

chesterking

chesterking

What actually happened:

I heard two female nurses talking from a distance. I coughed, they would not stop. I became angry and before went up the stairs to get away from this noise, I used the swear word 'Mother F*****'. I know it was stupid of me swearing, it was a very silly thing to do, but I got annoyed because they would not stop talking. I didn't actually hear what they said, it was indistinct. I think it was because of this incident, that was the reason I got hypnotised.

At the time I did not realise why they were talking like this, I thought it was done deliberately to annoy me. Now of course these things do not bother me anymore, only sometimes, but I don't react the way like I did before. But once I am enlightened nothing people do will affect me anymore.

I think I know why they were talking from afar like this. Everybody had gone on a coach trip to Wales. I said I did not want to go, because if I felt tired then I could not lie down in a bed. The nurses told me that I could lie down at the back of the coach on the seats, but I said that was no good because a bed would be more comfortable. I think the nurses got annoyed that I did not go on this coach trip and thought I was doing it deliberately because I was being awkward. At the time my reasons were genuine, I needed a comfortable bed to lie down in, if I was feeling tired. If I couldn't lie down when I was feeling tired, I felt awful. I would have this painful feeling inside my head and in order to get rid of it I had to lie down.

At that time when that incident happened and I swore, I did not realise why the nurses were annoyed. Now I do, thanks to meditation.

chesterking

chesterking

When I swore and used the 'MF' swear word, I did not do it out of hatred, but I swore because I got annoyed and frustrated that the two nurses would not stop talking. I went to my bedroom to get away from it. But thanks to meditation these things don't bother me anymore because my ego is nearly gone.