• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Hypnophobia (somniphobia) - fear of sleep

Q

Qiwemen

@Jeditz
Third, at least with me, I’ve learned that somniphobia is not a cause, but a symptom or a manifestation of my anxiety, as I don’t experience it at all when my life and anxiety is stable and under control.
Exactly this. My fear of sleep is a symptom of my anxiety. In the last years I was able to identify some cause for my mental issues and fears and with that my somniphobia started get better. I have not beaten this yet fully, but I am in a much better state now than I was in 2015. I think the most important thing to work on yourself and develop senf-knowledge with a good therapist. Good luck everyone! I wish everyone could be free of this terrible fear!

J

Jedizoomer

@Jeditz

Exactly this. My fear of sleep is a symptom of my anxiety. In the last years I was able to identify some cause for my mental issues and fears and with that my somniphobia started get better. I have not beaten this yet fully, but I am in a much better state now than I was in 2015. I think the most important thing to work on yourself and develop senf-knowledge with a good therapist. Good luck everyone! I wish everyone could be free of this terrible fear!

J

Jedizoomer

Yes thank you for your response! And I feel that what you said is spot on. I hope this gives hope to those who are suffering from this condition. Because I realized that somniphobia was not an issue at all when my life was stable after having had experienced my second episode with somniphobia in 2015. I was able to fall back asleep in the morning and even take afternoon naps! During this time, sleep was so pleasurable and I even welcomed it! So I know that it is possible to reach this state again after having experienced it when one’s anxiety is at bay and one is able to work through other issues and therapy. Some to all my fellow folks who are suffering from this, please consider doing some therapeutic work with a therapist, I see it more as a blessing than a burden!

J

Jedizoomer

Hello everyone and happy new year. I posted about two weeks ago and wanted to give an update. Hopefully this will give hope to those who are suffering from this condition. Since my last post, I am still struggling with this condition, however it appears to have gotten slightly better as my somniphobia now is only limited to daytime sleeping. At night, I am able to fall asleep without any somniphobia. However, it is difficult for me to stay asleep as I wake up about two or three times a night. I see this as an improvement, as I am still able to fall asleep without any difficulties. However, if I try to take naps during the day, the somniphobia returns. Also, if I wake up in the morning after having gone to sleep pretty late (say, between 12-1) I am unable to fall asleep. What I have noticed is that it is a combination of both somniphobia and anxiety, as thoughts just come to my mind which prevent me from falling asleep. Also, during the day I become obsessed with the notion of sleep, almost to the point of not being able to fully enjoy my day and being “stuck in my head.” I believe this is a type of OCD that has resurfaced.

There are a couple of cognitive things that I’ve been doing that I think have helped. For example, I have told myself that I am not truly alone when I go to sleep at night. I think my fears of being alone as well as fears of abandonment may be at the heart of my somniphobia. Of course this points to deep-seated issues that I’m going to be processing in therapy. The good news is that I already have an intake lined up with a therapist and I think this will help tremendously. In addition, something that has really helped has also been praying. I know not everyone is spiritual/religious, but focusing on something that gives you peace can help. I have told myself when I pray that I have a God that is watching over me while I sleep and that is giving me comfort and companionship and this allows me to fall asleep.

For my daytime somniphobia, I realized that it is not only my random, intrusive thoughts that get in the way, but also thoughts of “you should be awake now, everybody is awake and getting ready to work and you’re still laying in bed trying to sleep” that also gets in the way. This points to unhealthy thoughts that I have developed around sleeping that I need to process in therapy.

Finally, this new bout of severe anxiety/somniphobia has developed while I am still on my anti-depression/anxiety medication, which I have been on the lowest possible dosage for the last two years. It is a possibility that my medication has somehow lost its efficacy, so I will be making an appointment with my psychiatrist to explore my options. While I really don’t want to increase the dosage, I feel that if this can help me get back to my normal state of mind then its worth a shot. I am truly considering this, as I noticed that this episode of extreme anxiety has also led to some depressive symptoms, as it did the last two times I developed this.

The last two times that this happened to me, a combination of therapy and medication as well as working out and being distracted at work helped. As I mentioned in my previous post, my somniphobia was not an issue anymore. Unfortunately, I’m still on vacation so I don’t have the structure and routine that work gives me. I am hoping that on Monday when I return to work I am able to have some sense of normalcy and continue the process of having a structured routine.

So I just wanted to provide this long update to show that there is hope and that getting over this irrational fear is a process and that one has to be patient with oneself. Also to continue to develop a sense of community with everyone out there who suffers from this irrational fear. I shall post updates within the next several weeks. Hope all have been well, and I hope that this new year brings many blessings to all.

J

Jedizoomer

I think this is not just a phobia but it's also a part of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. The obsessive thinking and the constant need to control the thoughts, always trying to do something to prevent another thing which makes you anxious. That sounds more like OCD. It sounds like a brain who is in constant loop which cannot break, a loop which is constantly fed by anxiety (greater the anxiety greater is the fixation on the sleep). It reminds me of the somatic OCD. In this form of OCD the patient fixes his/her mind of ordinary body functions as breathing, blinking, etc. The patient has the fear (it doesn't matter how irrational it is) that if s/he stop thinking about the breathing for example it will stop (and as we all know breathing is controlled by the autonomic nervous system and no conscious control over it is necessary). This is a perfect example of OCD about a natural process which people try to control when it is not needed (because our body knows its work). Here 'the hypnophobics' are trying to control their sleep or something bad will happen. Hypnophobia reminds me of another form of OCD also called 'existential OCD' where the sufferer's thoughts are always centered about philosophical topics like the nature of reality, the life after death, nothingness, the loss of consciousness, the meaning of life and so on. In this case the existential dread is projected on the sleep. It doesn't matter that everyone has slept countless nights in bliss waiting the falling asleep to come. Now it's all changed. Now this so expected blissful moment is marked as danger (it doesn't matter the reason). When there is a high level of anxiety, the mind is ever alert because it considers the trigger as danger and cannot find a suitable way to shut off (from biological point of view it shouldn't - no one wants to fall asleep while being chased by a lion after all). I am not an expert but the hypnophobia in my view is more like existential dread/form of OCD and generalized anxiety disorder than pure phobia like the fear of cats or dogs.
Yes! This makes total sense. I’m starting to think more and more that my somniphobia is a symptom of my OCD, which intensifies when I am going through periods of high stress and anxiety. Because when my life is relatively stable and stress-free, I don’t really have any somniphobia. I will be talking with my therapist about your perspective, which makes total sense!

N

Nikkioday

Hello everyone and happy new year. I posted about two weeks ago and wanted to give an update. Hopefully this will give hope to those who are suffering from this condition. Since my last post, I am still struggling with this condition, however it appears to have gotten slightly better as my somniphobia now is only limited to daytime sleeping. At night, I am able to fall asleep without any somniphobia. However, it is difficult for me to stay asleep as I wake up about two or three times a night. I see this as an improvement, as I am still able to fall asleep without any difficulties. However, if I try to take naps during the day, the somniphobia returns. Also, if I wake up in the morning after having gone to sleep pretty late (say, between 12-1) I am unable to fall asleep. What I have noticed is that it is a combination of both somniphobia and anxiety, as thoughts just come to my mind which prevent me from falling asleep. Also, during the day I become obsessed with the notion of sleep, almost to the point of not being able to fully enjoy my day and being “stuck in my head.” I believe this is a type of OCD that has resurfaced.

There are a couple of cognitive things that I’ve been doing that I think have helped. For example, I have told myself that I am not truly alone when I go to sleep at night. I think my fears of being alone as well as fears of abandonment may be at the heart of my somniphobia. Of course this points to deep-seated issues that I’m going to be processing in therapy. The good news is that I already have an intake lined up with a therapist and I think this will help tremendously. In addition, something that has really helped has also been praying. I know not everyone is spiritual/religious, but focusing on something that gives you peace can help. I have told myself when I pray that I have a God that is watching over me while I sleep and that is giving me comfort and companionship and this allows me to fall asleep.

For my daytime somniphobia, I realized that it is not only my random, intrusive thoughts that get in the way, but also thoughts of “you should be awake now, everybody is awake and getting ready to work and you’re still laying in bed trying to sleep” that also gets in the way. This points to unhealthy thoughts that I have developed around sleeping that I need to process in therapy.

Finally, this new bout of severe anxiety/somniphobia has developed while I am still on my anti-depression/anxiety medication, which I have been on the lowest possible dosage for the last two years. It is a possibility that my medication has somehow lost its efficacy, so I will be making an appointment with my psychiatrist to explore my options. While I really don’t want to increase the dosage, I feel that if this can help me get back to my normal state of mind then its worth a shot. I am truly considering this, as I noticed that this episode of extreme anxiety has also led to some depressive symptoms, as it did the last two times I developed this.

The last two times that this happened to me, a combination of therapy and medication as well as working out and being distracted at work helped. As I mentioned in my previous post, my somniphobia was not an issue anymore. Unfortunately, I’m still on vacation so I don’t have the structure and routine that work gives me. I am hoping that on Monday when I return to work I am able to have some sense of normalcy and continue the process of having a structured routine.

So I just wanted to provide this long update to show that there is hope and that getting over this irrational fear is a process and that one has to be patient with oneself. Also to continue to develop a sense of community with everyone out there who suffers from this irrational fear. I shall post updates within the next several weeks. Hope all have been well, and I hope that this new year brings many blessings to all.
How are you doing now? I have been dealing with this on and off for the past 15 years and currently for the past 2 months, it's been very intense. When I do sleep it's very unrefreshing and fragmented and I can only sleep in the daytime when I do finally manage sleep. Last night (06/01/2020) and early this morning (06/02/2020) all I would do is drift off for a few minutes then jerk awake. I fill so mentally and phycially horrible and just want this to be over, it's one thing to be terrifed to sleep, but to also have the sleep I do get be very poor quality takes it to a whole new level. If you have any advice please reach out.

-Nikki

Last edited by a moderator:
Faith198

Faith198

I use to have this and it was due to my anxiety. I had a fear of dying and it also felt weird to cross into sleep, so I’d force myself to stay up every single night. It has passed now fortunately.

J

Jedizoomer

How are you doing now? I have been dealing with this on and off for the past 15 years and currently for the past 2 months, it's been very intense. When I do sleep it's very unrefreshing and fragmented and I can only sleep in the daytime when I do finally manage sleep. Last night (06/01/2020) and early this morning (06/02/2020) all I would do is drift off for a few minutes then jerk awake. I fill so mentally and phycially horrible and just want this to be over, it's one thing to be terrifed to sleep, but to also have the sleep I do get be very poor quality takes it to a whole new level. If you have any advice please reach out.

-Nikki
Hello Nikki, I'm hoping you are doing well! I apologize for the super late response to your question. First and foremost, I'm sorry to hear that you have been experiencing strong somniphobia (what I also call sleep anxiety) for the last two months. You sent me this message back in June, and it's August, so I'm hoping you've been well.

So with me, I increased the dosage on my medication back in January. Fortunately, this pulled me out of the episode that I was experiencing and I stabilized. I did not experience anymore somniphobia at all. At times, very latent thoughts of sleep anxiety did creep in, but for the most part, my sleep returned to normal. I was even able to take afternoon naps - and enjoy them! I also started therapy.

I truly do feel that the nature of somniphobia is that it is an "on again, of again" phenomenon, and that this, in part, is based on the quality of one's life at any given moment. When things are smooth, when there is no stress and all is well, somniphobia disappears. However, during times of high stress and anxiety, it returns. I recently learned that my somniphobia is like a "light switch" in my brain, since it returns when my anxiety light switch is "on," and disappears when the anxiety light switch is "off."

About a week ago, my daytime somniphobia returned, and I am experiencing it now. I'm assessing what led to this, and I feel that there are a couple of factors (stressors of living in a COVID world, isolating, having my overall sleep schedule be way off, working from home and not having a routine for my day, not being able to engage in enjoyable and distracting activities, which helped in the past, due to social distancing, not eating healthy, engaging in other obsessive behaviors, etc).

I am still on my medication, but at this point I'm wondering if my somniphobia returns when I have gotten used to a certain dosage of my medication or not. I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow to discuss this. At this point, I do not want to increase my medication dosage once more or switch medications, but if this will help, I will do it.

I want to stress that my somniphobia is only limited to day time sleeping; I am able to fall asleep at night with no problems. I think it's because it's dark and cognitively I know that the rest of the world is sleeping.

Just about an hour ago, I felt sleepy (even though I got about 7 hours of sleep last night), and I tried to fall asleep. I was able to relax, but just as I was getting too relaxed, my somniphobia kicked in and I started wondering when the "unconscious" would hit, and that started scaring me, almost to the point where I noticed my heart beating somewhat faster. I got up and out of bed and, surprisingly, did not feel tired at all (I attribute it to me being able to sleep well the night prior). So, at face value, even though I'm not experiencing severe anxiety during the day and I am able to function well, the somniphobia still exists, even if it is only during the day time.

What has worked for you in the past? You mentioned that your sleep anxiety started two months ago...was there anything stressful going on in your life? Have you considered going to therapy? Usually, when one's anxiety/depression are under control, the somniphobia goes away (at least that was the case for me; not sure what this minor bout of somniphobia that has developed in the last week for me is due to, but I hope to have more insight about it soon).

I would recommend having a set sleep schedule, cause that helps. If you can exercise during the day, do so. And avoid taking naps during the day (I should have listened to this advice earlier).

I'm sending you positive thoughts, vibes, and well wishes that your sleep dread goes away immediately!

J

JonathanHogi

Been following this thread on and off for a few years now.

Just wanted to add my voice to the people confirming that this can get better. I had a fear of sleep from around the age of 15/16 when my mother became unwell and she was my only parent. I lost her at 16.

I developed full on OCD in my early 20's, whilst managing a long distance relationship, and had some form of hypnophobia/somniphobia throughout this time. To me it was clearly linked to control issues of some form, similar to the OCD, and sleep obviously represents the need to let go. It's fairly apparent why I would develop a need to want more control over my life. I noticed the more tired Id get the more it triggered my fear, I tended to worry less personally about napping etc.

I am in my early 30's now and largely completely fine, and have been since my late 20's really.

What's helped me has been having consistent structure, being able to focus on my plan for the next day or week ahead when I lie down and focusing on being constructive. Learning I could get through days, work etc on less sleep fairly well actually and things like that. Positive experiences really.

Perhaps it is similar to a person's ability to float on water. If you relax enough and trust you are safe, you will naturally float. You don't have to understand how this works to do it.
Similarly, if you do not feel happy or safe in life, maybe due to sad experiences, perhaps you lack trust and might thrash about instead to stay afloat, making the floating much harder. Similarly over-considering sleep with your conscious mind and not trusting the process suggests a lack of trust. Try to show yourself that you are OK, safe, can be happy etc.

Hope everyone in this thread keeps improving and finds their way forwards.

N

Nikkioday

Hello Nikki, I'm hoping you are doing well! I apologize for the super late response to your question. First and foremost, I'm sorry to hear that you have been experiencing strong somniphobia (what I also call sleep anxiety) for the last two months. You sent me this message back in June, and it's August, so I'm hoping you've been well.

So with me, I increased the dosage on my medication back in January. Fortunately, this pulled me out of the episode that I was experiencing and I stabilized. I did not experience anymore somniphobia at all. At times, very latent thoughts of sleep anxiety did creep in, but for the most part, my sleep returned to normal. I was even able to take afternoon naps - and enjoy them! I also started therapy.

I truly do feel that the nature of somniphobia is that it is an "on again, of again" phenomenon, and that this, in part, is based on the quality of one's life at any given moment. When things are smooth, when there is no stress and all is well, somniphobia disappears. However, during times of high stress and anxiety, it returns. I recently learned that my somniphobia is like a "light switch" in my brain, since it returns when my anxiety light switch is "on," and disappears when the anxiety light switch is "off."

About a week ago, my daytime somniphobia returned, and I am experiencing it now. I'm assessing what led to this, and I feel that there are a couple of factors (stressors of living in a COVID world, isolating, having my overall sleep schedule be way off, working from home and not having a routine for my day, not being able to engage in enjoyable and distracting activities, which helped in the past, due to social distancing, not eating healthy, engaging in other obsessive behaviors, etc).

I am still on my medication, but at this point I'm wondering if my somniphobia returns when I have gotten used to a certain dosage of my medication or not. I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow to discuss this. At this point, I do not want to increase my medication dosage once more or switch medications, but if this will help, I will do it.

I want to stress that my somniphobia is only limited to day time sleeping; I am able to fall asleep at night with no problems. I think it's because it's dark and cognitively I know that the rest of the world is sleeping.

Just about an hour ago, I felt sleepy (even though I got about 7 hours of sleep last night), and I tried to fall asleep. I was able to relax, but just as I was getting too relaxed, my somniphobia kicked in and I started wondering when the "unconscious" would hit, and that started scaring me, almost to the point where I noticed my heart beating somewhat faster. I got up and out of bed and, surprisingly, did not feel tired at all (I attribute it to me being able to sleep well the night prior). So, at face value, even though I'm not experiencing severe anxiety during the day and I am able to function well, the somniphobia still exists, even if it is only during the day time.

What has worked for you in the past? You mentioned that your sleep anxiety started two months ago...was there anything stressful going on in your life? Have you considered going to therapy? Usually, when one's anxiety/depression are under control, the somniphobia goes away (at least that was the case for me; not sure what this minor bout of somniphobia that has developed in the last week for me is due to, but I hope to have more insight about it soon).

I would recommend having a set sleep schedule, cause that helps. If you can exercise during the day, do so. And avoid taking naps during the day (I should have listened to this advice earlier).

I'm sending you positive thoughts, vibes, and well wishes that your sleep dread goes away immediately!
Hello

Thank you so much for responding back to me. I'm still suffering a lot. The big problem for me is that all day, everyday, I'm severly weak and feel mentally unwell and I've been like this since late January. Futhermore, when I lay down I feel horribly weak and uncomfotable which makes me so much more afraid. I also have weried sensations that makes me feel as thou I'm going to die while trying to sleep, I can't explain it.

Also, when I finally do sleep I dream the entire time and wake up constantly and feel as though I have not slept in days when I do wake up. I stay in an never ending state of brain fog and feel extremely uncomfortable in my body. It's one thing to fear sleep, however, I can't even sleep peacfully and wake refreshed when I do finally fall sleep. Then, as stated before I spend all day feeling physically and mentally horrible. At this point I'm scared I'm going to be like this forever, I just want to die because this is torture, I have a daughter and all we have in this world is each other. I have no other family and if something happens to me she'll be in this world all alone and that thought ripped my heart apart, however, I can't live like this, it's been months of non-stop, mental and physical torture all day. It was discovered in April that I had a sever vitiman d deficiency, which my doctor thought was contributing to my current state. I've been supplementing since April and I've only been getting worse. I had 10 tubes of blood drawn last Friday to see if something eles is causing this problem. I read online a few weeks ago that, sleep fear is a symptom of folate deficiency. So I had my doctor test me for this and I'm awaiting the results. At this point I don't know what to do.

L

LJC81

Hi everyone. I have had this fear of sleep since i was 6 years old. I would ask my mum "where do you go when you fall asleep?" you close your eyes at 8pm and wake up at 7pm - what happens inbetween?

this question and eventual fear has haunted me on and off for years. I dont recall any traumatic reason why - i'm not scared of dying in my sleep or never had night terrors, i just dont like losing control and the "nothingness" of it all.

I'm so glad to read that I'm not the only one suffering from this as everyone i talk to, even therapists, have never heard of this particular fear.

I have tried all sorts in the past to help me sleep - i am a light sleeper anyway - i've done all the tablets (zopiclone really messed me up), CBD oil, sleep sound apps, sleep hypnotist apps, weighted blanket, sleep teas, sleep gummy vitamins, reading, but as soon as i feel myself starting to go, i unconsciously bring myself back as I'm scared

I am going through a real bad bout of it at the moment and will be starting CBT sessions with the wellbeing NHS team next week who also have me keeping a sleep diary. Its starting to affect my work as i'm so tired that i cant focus properly when i go in.

does anyone else have any recommendations?

S

simas1978

Hi everyone. I have had this fear of sleep since i was 6 years old. I would ask my mum "where do you go when you fall asleep?" you close your eyes at 8pm and wake up at 7pm - what happens inbetween?

this question and eventual fear has haunted me on and off for years. I dont recall any traumatic reason why - i'm not scared of dying in my sleep or never had night terrors, i just dont like losing control and the "nothingness" of it all.

I'm so glad to read that I'm not the only one suffering from this as everyone i talk to, even therapists, have never heard of this particular fear.

I have tried all sorts in the past to help me sleep - i am a light sleeper anyway - i've done all the tablets (zopiclone really messed me up), CBD oil, sleep sound apps, sleep hypnotist apps, weighted blanket, sleep teas, sleep gummy vitamins, reading, but as soon as i feel myself starting to go, i unconsciously bring myself back as I'm scared

I am going through a real bad bout of it at the moment and will be starting CBT sessions with the wellbeing NHS team next week who also have me keeping a sleep diary. Its starting to affect my work as i'm so tired that i cant focus properly when i go in.

does anyone else have any recommendations?
Yes I have the same problem, let me ask you, do you have ocd because I do. Just wondering if that’s contributing to your problem. Love to talk more.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

simas1978

Hi I read what you wrote and was very helpful. I suffer with the fear of sleep. You mentioned your medication has really helped you, can you please tell me what the medication you take. Maybe I can tell my doctor and try that. Thank you very much

Beta012

Beta012

I'm pretty sure that it has been suggested I have this sometime before. I have the inability to have a stable sleep schedule recently because I'm afraid to close my eyes long enough to fall asleep because I'm too anxious to not keep track of my surroundings. When I was younger I often had anxiety and panic attacks trying to fall asleep and I still do as I had one attack yesterday trying to take a nap that I wasn't able to have. I take anxiety medication yet it doesn't really do much. Been up all night.

D

Donz1

Hi there was hoping someone could give me advise on what to do, I am suffering heavy with somniphobia and find that I spend all day worrying about sleeping, when it come down to it and I try and fall asleep I just find I lay there in absolute fear and brain racing 100 miles an hour, my worries are mixed however I find I asked the most silliest questions about life, I’m scared of not being in control and don’t want to sleep, once the panic kicks in there is absolutely no chance of getting to sleep, my brain is a real torture chamber! Any advise will be greatly appreciated