Hypnophobia (somniphobia) - fear of sleep

B

bunnysuit

I just found this and am so happy to see that there are others like me. No one I know understands what it's like to fear something as normal as sleep. This is a recent development for me and I believe it's because I recently moved away from my family. I fear that I will die in my sleep and not get to say goodbye or worse miss one of my loved ones calling with bad news. It all has made my hyper aware of death and falling asleep feels like what I imagine dying to feel like. Very terrifying. I just wish I knew how to stop it.

S

simas1

I'm the same way. I'm 54 and have had a fear of sleep since I was sixteen. Just don't like the unconscious state. If anyone can help please write back. Thankyou

B

beth10

Wow. I can't believe this is real! I was just laying in bed trying to go to sleep and once again I was wondering why I couldn't. Inside of me, I felt something say I was afraid. I am not a fearful person, nor do I experience anxiety or worry. But something about sleep brings a strong sense of unsettledness. I'm not afraid of dying, but that whole idea of not having control...I think there's something to that for me. I routinely have nightmares or night terrors. I have often experienced that paralysis thing. And lately I've been dreaming all night. I don't often sleep soundly enough to dream (unless it is a nightmare). I realized tonight, I didn't want to dream. I don't know what to do with my dreams. I'm highly analytical and well, dreams make no sense!! At any rate, I'm glad to have found you. May you each find a way to rest!

K

klapaucius26

i feel the same! but try to manage it and sometimes forget it for a long time... i think u need to be busy and find a real meaning for your life...

T

Tdale

This is exactly how I have been since I was about 8. I am now over 50. My life has been very difficult because of this.

W

woah54

Hi, I have the same fearing of sleep. You said you have had hypnophobia since when you were sixteen. Does that mean, you suffered from hypnophobia everyday? I'm afraid if hypnophobia keep bothering me forever like you. Were there some periods that you completely forgot about hypnophobia? or did it bother you everyday? Thanks

W

woah54

Have you guys gone to the hospital to treat hypnophobia? I'm afraid that this hypnophobia(fear of sleeping) would bother me forever.. Should I go to the doctor? Is there anyone who overcomed this? Help me

M

mozad

My mother has this kind of phobia and since she started taking some pills that her psychiatrist prescribed for her, she has been able to sleep easier. She has explained to me that the pills make her think and worry less. So should you go to the doctor to treat this phobia? Absolutely. Worth a try at the very least.

W

woah54

Hi, thanks for the comment. Is your mom still having the phobia? I'm wondering how long have your mom had that phobia. It's been almost 3 months since I have this phobia.

N

Natbyte

Hi all, I hope it's not too late to post a reply. I have had this condition since I was a child. There have been times when it has been better - mostly when I have been less anxious and totally in control of my life. Since I had kids it has been so much worse. I don't think there is any way out of it other than finding coping mechanisms. It's good to see people who experience the same problems.

W

woah54

Hi, Natbyte, thanks for the reply. I first had this conition when I was 14, and I was really afraid at that time. But, at some point, I completely forgot about fear of sleep and have lived about 6 years without fear of sleep. But, now I suddenly thought about it again, and it kept bothering me from 2 months ago. It's weird that I keep thinking about it everyday. When I was a kid, I completely forgot about it for a long time (6 years). I hope I would escape again from this condition. Did you have any some periods that you completely forgot about fear of sleep? Are you still suffering from this condition until now? How old are you?
Have you gone to the hospital to treat this phobia? Thanks

B

beardom

same fear of sleep every night

I have been exactly the same problem over the last two years after several years of intense uncertainty and on the verge of losing control of my life. I am certain that the relentless fear has become internalized and now that I am almost out of the previous state of dread, my fear of losing control has become immortalized as sleep phobia. I say immortalized because it is relentless every night even when I have no particular threat on my tail.

W

woah54

Hi, Im so afraid that this sleep phobia would last forever. Do you feel that too? Is there any way it can be cured? Are you taking any medicines? Give me some advices. Thanks

W

wanttowrite

We share the same problem, is it getting any better for you? I didnt know there were other with this wierd problem. I didnt know it was a medical word for it even.. This suddently happend to me when i was thinking about "what happens the time i cross over to dream" its unknown.. its a strange wierd feeling.. and you dont want to sleep when you get that feeling.. its worse when youre so tired you almost fall asleep many times but you are still there and you know its soon til you suddently fall asleep with not even knowing

Q

Qiwemen

Anyone found any solution for this problem? I dont know my psychiatrist could help me. Any medicine or technique, any idea what should we do?

S

Sleepless in AZ

So I'm new here, just found it, and I am so glad that there are other people I might be able to talk to about this.. Every night now, starting about a year ago, whenever I lay down for bed I start feeling myself drift off. Now I really enjoy that part of my head feeling a little fuzzy, but not long afterwards I feel myself slip into unconsciousness and it feels like I'm dying. The fear jerks me awake in a panic like my house is caving in and I'm paralysed by it for what seems like an eternity but it really only lasts maybe 5 mins... I have a history of anxiety attacks and had my first seizure from them just yesterday. And from reading some of these on here I think it's fair to assume our anxiety is the culprit. So I have found a way, for me anyway, to help me sleep without the fear.. Now it doesn't work every time but it helps more often than not and I really hope maybe it helps someone who hasn't thouht of it yet.. Play some music.. Something soft and quiet, more background noise than music. For me it's those sounds of nature things. The rainforest lulls me to sleep like being in my mothers arms when I was a boy, comforting and relaxing. Now when I feel that loss of consciousness I almost welcome it.... Almost..

A

asoul

Hello all

I wish i could say im glad to hear that im not the only one with this problem. But i can't. I know what you are all going through and it breaks my heart.

I suffer from panic attacks since i was 16. Being a very sensitive child and unable to understand and assimilate everything that was going on around me i chose to suffer all by myself. Always hiding my feelings, my misery. I always felt that if i talked about it, people wouldn't understand. And how could they? I was raising some questions that kids at my age don't bother with and adults are afraid to think about.

Basically, i was "making the bed" for all the panic attacks that were about to roll into my life.
Like i said, the first was at 16. I wasn't upset, i wasn't angry. I remember i was happy and excited right before i collapsed.

The attacks grew in number as i grew older.

Things got really bad after my grandfather passed away. I started having panic attacks each night.
I want to add that from the start i wasn't very good at sleeping at nigh since i was little, but this was different. It wasn't that i was more active during the night. This was something else.

I was afraid of going to sleep. The only way i could rest so i could be able to function at work was to bring myself to the point where i fainted out of being too tired. I had to be exhausted either mentally or physically.
I don't remember the point where i was falling asleep. It's like i fainted.

However, until getting to that point, i was going through all sort of thoughts, thinking of my grandfather then thinking of my own life and finally.. the end of it. My heart would start pounding out of my chest, i would get dizzy..and even if i relaxed for a bit, as soon as i fell asleep ... right then, when i would fall ... i would jump out of bed, scared AF, with my knees weak, run to the kitchen to drink some cold water, walk through the living room for 10 minutes then go back to my room and try to go to sleep.

Some nights i was lucky to go through this just once. Other nights.....not that lucky. The worst was when i had to go through this 4 times.

I stopped having these when my second grandfather died. I understood that it was my inability to cope with loss and my selfishness, making my grandfathers death about me and my fears. I wasn't suffering for him as i was for me and my faith. And in the end, everyone's faith.

Im still having trouble sleeping, my heart keeps pounding when i try to sleep. I always put a movie on to distract me. But i don't suffer that much anymore. For me it's a victory.

I came to realise that maybe we are too hard on ourselves. After all, there is only so much we can do about this life. You cannot control the outside world, but you can control your way of thinking (with some practice).
A problem is a problem only if you see it that way. And if your vision is blurry, try changing your seat.

I refused to see psychologists or take any medication all my life. I have managed to evolve step by step all by myself, to come to an understanding of who i am and what i cherish, what i value and what i am afraid of. Sometimes i forget, but i try hard to remind myself of that.

I found out that most of the times, the right question is: "What am I missing in my life?"
Something is missing. Something is always missing.
So, go out there and find what makes you happy. Maybe, just maybe, you will be too happy to be sad :)

M

Mum23

I think i could be suffering from this as well glad to know im not alone in the past week i have have kept a diary of times when i am awake and within 7 days i have 61/2 hours i cannot count for the rest of the times i have marked down this started when my husband at the time came home from work while i was asleep and he jumped onto the bed and i woke up with a fright to find he was holding a knife at my throat which left my neck all cut and sore from this time i havent slept now my 17 year old son comes through to my bedroom during the unaccounted hours and punches me on the arm or back and tells me that i need to get up tells me i am snoring yet my 12 year old says that im not so i am actually afraid to sleep as i am physically hurt during my sleep

B

BruhhIron

I am so happy to see I'm not the only one who's experiencing this. I made a account just for this. I never realized how many other people are dealing with this..
The process of being still awake and then going into the unconscious state terrifies me. It's not what could happen while I sleep or what kind of dreams or nightmares I'm gonna have. Not knowing when it's gonna hit you.. I just lay there with my eyes closed just waiting and I start thinking about it and I start to freak out.

This issue has really interfered with college since it keeps me up till around 5 in the morning. I eventually get so tired I can't hold my eye lids open, pretty much until my body forces me to go to sleep.
I always keep my TV on when I go to bed, plus a fan to make more noise in hopes to get my mind off of the fear. It helps some, it's a lot better than laying in darkness and silence.

I don't even stay the night with friends because they always sleep in the dark and I HATE it. I just lay there looking at black, nothingness in attempt to force myself to sleep even though I'm terrified of the feeling.

Last edited: