Hypnophobia (somniphobia) - fear of sleep

M

mistyshuff24

Until I read your post I thought I was alone in my fear of falling asleep for me it is as you said I am afraid of sleep so much that it causes a full anxiety attack, it has gotten so bad It is out of control I don't understand why I am so afraid of falling asleep. I am fine until I start feeling tired and once I get that feeling of drifting off I wake myself up, this happens almost every night. any advice would be much appreciated on how to handle this problem.

I

Ina01

I'm often up all night, too, because I am afraid of horrible dreams when I do get to sleep... I tend to try and distract myself with reading (escapist literature, mostly), and sometimes I do eventually fall asleep out of sheer exhaustion, mostly with my face on the open book and the light still on.

W

White Wolf

I have had this sometimes so i understand what you mean, except i'm not sure are the reasons exactly the same but at least alike - When i have been very tired, and almost falling to sleep i have got this weird kind of panic that "i'm going to drift somewhere, and see something that i cannot choose - i don't know what will await me in the other side of that sleep" sometimes i don't care but there are moments in my life that it has bothered me, and kept me resisting to fall a sleep.

Also i have been afraid of sleeping paralysis, even if sometimes i have kind of caused them to happen myself :S but its very rare to happen on its own, so that's not really anything to be too scared of.

One thing that i think helps is just to think "well i'm gonna sleep only for a little while, then i can be awake again" and if you indeed wake-up after that little while, you are less likely to be afraid of falling a sleep again... unless you did have a horrible nightmare in that little while.

J

JaneDoe9000

This is the biggest problem in my life. it has bothered me since i was 6 years old. I sleep maybe 1-3 times a week. I am very anxious all day everyday about the fact that i know i have to try to sleep at some point. I am desperate. I have no problem with dreams/nightmares or actually being asleep, but falling asleep.. that midway when you have to let go I feel like im dying. Even if im exhausted and almoust passing out, i snap out of it in a panic and have this feeling that : "oh my god, i just almost died!" I know its stupid but it just comes from my subconcious. i cant help it and i cant reason with myself. sometimes i get so drunk that i pass out or take drugs to do so. other wise i just stay awake. longest time i was without no sleep was about two weeks and i ended up in a mental hospital in a full psycosis, being kept without my will.. i dont want to take sleeping pills for the rest of my life and i am hopeless..

J

Jasim

I can't believe someone else has this as well. I thought I was alone in this. I fear sleeping because the lack of control and the idea that I am unconscious for a while freaks me out. And this has caused me a great deal of anxiety and panick attacks. If anybody wants to talk about it please let me know. You'll find my information in my profile. Good luck to all of us.

B

bunnysuit

I just found this and am so happy to see that there are others like me. No one I know understands what it's like to fear something as normal as sleep. This is a recent development for me and I believe it's because I recently moved away from my family. I fear that I will die in my sleep and not get to say goodbye or worse miss one of my loved ones calling with bad news. It all has made my hyper aware of death and falling asleep feels like what I imagine dying to feel like. Very terrifying. I just wish I knew how to stop it.

S

simas1

I'm the same way. I'm 54 and have had a fear of sleep since I was sixteen. Just don't like the unconscious state. If anyone can help please write back. Thankyou

B

beth10

Wow. I can't believe this is real! I was just laying in bed trying to go to sleep and once again I was wondering why I couldn't. Inside of me, I felt something say I was afraid. I am not a fearful person, nor do I experience anxiety or worry. But something about sleep brings a strong sense of unsettledness. I'm not afraid of dying, but that whole idea of not having control...I think there's something to that for me. I routinely have nightmares or night terrors. I have often experienced that paralysis thing. And lately I've been dreaming all night. I don't often sleep soundly enough to dream (unless it is a nightmare). I realized tonight, I didn't want to dream. I don't know what to do with my dreams. I'm highly analytical and well, dreams make no sense!! At any rate, I'm glad to have found you. May you each find a way to rest!

K

klapaucius26

i feel the same! but try to manage it and sometimes forget it for a long time... i think u need to be busy and find a real meaning for your life...

T

Tdale

This is exactly how I have been since I was about 8. I am now over 50. My life has been very difficult because of this.

W

woah54

Hi, I have the same fearing of sleep. You said you have had hypnophobia since when you were sixteen. Does that mean, you suffered from hypnophobia everyday? I'm afraid if hypnophobia keep bothering me forever like you. Were there some periods that you completely forgot about hypnophobia? or did it bother you everyday? Thanks

W

woah54

Have you guys gone to the hospital to treat hypnophobia? I'm afraid that this hypnophobia(fear of sleeping) would bother me forever.. Should I go to the doctor? Is there anyone who overcomed this? Help me

M

mozad

My mother has this kind of phobia and since she started taking some pills that her psychiatrist prescribed for her, she has been able to sleep easier. She has explained to me that the pills make her think and worry less. So should you go to the doctor to treat this phobia? Absolutely. Worth a try at the very least.

W

woah54

Hi, thanks for the comment. Is your mom still having the phobia? I'm wondering how long have your mom had that phobia. It's been almost 3 months since I have this phobia.

N

Natbyte

Hi all, I hope it's not too late to post a reply. I have had this condition since I was a child. There have been times when it has been better - mostly when I have been less anxious and totally in control of my life. Since I had kids it has been so much worse. I don't think there is any way out of it other than finding coping mechanisms. It's good to see people who experience the same problems.