• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Hypnagogic Hallucinations

J

J_Taim

Hello everyone,
I have a question. I´m diagnosed with Depression and anxiety Disorder. I am being extremely sleepy lately and sleep a lot. When falling asleep i get hypnagogic Hallucinations (mostly friends of mine talking). They are pretty terrifying to me. I already did some research, but all I´m reading is that it´s mostly caused be a lack of sleep (which can´t be the cause, because I sleep between 8 and 12 hours a day). I´d just like to know if that's a normal thing or if i should go see a doctor.

C

celticlass

It's perfectly normal to have these hallucinations when we are falling asleep or waking out of sleep. I discussed this at one point with my then Psychiatrist and that was what he told me. Nothing to worry about.

Wishbone

Wishbone

This is what I had, though it wasn't auditory it was visual (patterns, rapid images etc). I don't seem to have those anymore but I do wonder about the tactile one as I always feel like things are crawling on me when I get into bed.

Do you speak to friends a lot on the phone?

Avolitionist

Avolitionist

Not only is it normal, it supposedly happens more often as we age.

Sorry to know it causes anxiety. Nothing to fear. :hug:

anex

anex

I’ve experienced this, but upon waking up in sleep paralysis. I’m sorry it’s terrifying! I hope you get some relief from it soon. When it happens, are you awake enough to remind yourself that it’s just a hallucination?