• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

hygiene

nonotme

nonotme

hey, I know this might be too personal and I'm sorry if it is, but how good or bad is your hygiene ?

mine is very poor, I have no reason to be interested in my looks or appearance. I have not shaved in six months, not taken a bath since new years eve and its been over a week since i brushed my teeth.

I just don't register to do these jobs, I do change my clothes every few days but it is every few days, maybe a week or more at times. My home is a mess and is also becoming unclean, the last time I washed up was two weeks ago.

I know I should do these jobs more, and I know I'm not doing them I just can't be bothered to do them, no one else see's the mess so why bother ?

Me.

nonotme

nonotme

I stink. lol

I think I do too but its been so long I can't tell any more. its a shame and i feel so guilty as well for not trying harder but I really don't have the interest in myself at all now.

Mister.B

Mister.B

I think I do too but its been so long I can't tell any more. its a shame and i feel so guilty as well for not trying harder but I really don't have the interest in myself at all now.
Well, at least you know that it isn't permanent and you know you might eventually get the drive to remedy it. :hug:

nonotme

nonotme

Well, at least you know that it isn't permanent and you know you might eventually get the drive to remedy it. :hug:

yes and the idea of a nice warm bath is appealing right now. but my bath is full of rubbish I need to get rid of so its not going to happen.

F

fair&square75

Hi nonotme...i can relate to this when I was on these certain antidepressants I suddenly didn't want to bath or shower anymore,id go a wk or two,but on new ones now and it doesnt seem to effect me in that way....ur not hurting anyone so I wouldn't worry about it,there's far worse things we could be doing x

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I shower as i have to be clean for work but when i take holiday my hygiene does decrease. I only do my teeth every other day tho but hand hygiene is good from working in care industry and being paranoid bout catching germs after lots of infection control courses

Sparklypurplepaws

Sparklypurplepaws

I can deffo relate to this too - it was one of my new year goals to take better care of myself - I don't wash or brush my teeth from one day to the next. My hair hasn't been washed in weeks and I don't remember the last time I bathed.

nonotme

nonotme

I can deffo relate to this too - it was one of my new year goals to take better care of myself - I don't wash or brush my teeth from one day to the next. My hair hasn't been washed in weeks and I don't remember the last time I bathed.

sounds very much as if we have the same mind set when it comes to this. I really do need to take a bath but I have filled my bath with boxes as I had no where else for them...

Sparklypurplepaws

Sparklypurplepaws

Yes, we do! I do want to take care of myself, but I don't have the motivation, inclination, energy or whatever.
My immediate response to you is to move the boxes, even just to the floor of the bathroom and hop in that bath. But it's just not that easy is it x sparkly x

nonotme

nonotme

But it's just not that easy is it x sparkly x
no its never that easy to do things, also when I see rubbish I see mountains of it then I see nothing at all, I stopped seeing the boxes in the bath now, I just ignore them. I know my psychotherapist will not approve when I see him next but he doesn't have to live in this flat.

Kerome

Kerome

I do change my clothes every few days but it is every few days, maybe a week or more at times. My home is a mess and is also becoming unclean. I know I should do these jobs more, and I know I'm not doing them I just can't be bothered to do them, no one else see's the mess so why bother ?
I know what you mean, but for me there's a certain limit I will not cross. When I start to smell myself I will have a shower, and when I start to notice excessive dust or dirt I put my cleaning hat on and attack it with vacuum cleaner and wipes. I'm not perfect, will sometimes go several days without changing clothes, have been known to miss brushing my teeth for a few days at a time, and it can be a few days between showers and shaves, but I refuse to let things get too bad.

I think it came from living alone with my father when I was a teen, he was never the spotlessly clean (almost professional cleaner) type that my mother was, and always had lots to do, but he took a pride in his appearance and that extended to the house.

Agatha

Agatha

hey, I know this might be too personal and I'm sorry if it is, but how good or bad is your hygiene ?

mine is very poor, I have no reason to be interested in my looks or appearance. I have not shaved in six months, not taken a bath since new years eve and its been over a week since i brushed my teeth.

I just don't register to do these jobs, I do change my clothes every few days but it is every few days, maybe a week or more at times. My home is a mess and is also becoming unclean, the last time I washed up was two weeks ago.

I know I should do these jobs more, and I know I'm not doing them I just can't be bothered to do them, no one else see's the mess so why bother ?

Me.
I can relate very much. I rarely shave my legs or pits any more. I don't know how but I did manage to take a bath last night. It had been about a month since my last one. I just felt so sweaty and yucky last night I got in the bath. Sometimes I wash my hair in the kitchen sink. It's usually pretty dirty by the time I get it done. It seems like such a big job to do. But I must say that I feel good that I took the bath last night. Don't know when I will again. I don't change my clothes that often either. I usually smell them to see if they stink before changing them. I really struggle with my hygiene as well.

nonotme

nonotme

I really struggle with my hygiene as well.
mine is still bad I never did empty the bath out, boxes everywhere. not had a wash in over a week or brushed my teeth. I would think I am very smelly by now but no one here but me so I don't know. I have no clean clothes now so I must do some washing tomorrow, if nothing else some underwear at the very least.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Depression Forum 7