• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Husband Sectioned

M

MarchApril

Hi everybody,

I know this is long (and probably very rambling) but I’m really struggling and was just hoping to hear from people who have been through something similar.

My husband has been suffering with his mental health for some time. He has been depressed and anxious for some years and we have been through some traumatic experiences.
In the past 12 months his mental health has declined rapidly with him getting caught up in conspiracy theories and thinking all of our computers/phones etc were being bugged. I only got really worried however when he started telling me that he was a god-like figure who had created everything in the universe.
He is convinced he has experienced numerous past lives all of which have included myself of other people within our circle of friends. He started spending a large amount of time walking around the fields and woods close to where we live and told me that he follows the streams, animals or wind. He can go on for miles and seems to be always searching for something.
8 weeks ago he tried to leave to go to Scotland. He said he wanted to see family there but everybody told him they couldn’t allow him to stay with them due to the lockdown. He said he would go anyway and got very aggressive when his brother tried to stop him. He was detained by the police when he got to the station and it was identified that he was experiencing a psychotic episode.
He was referred to the home treatment team and they started him on Olanzapene, which he decided to stop taking after 5 days. He refused any meds after that and reduced his engagement with the team.
In the last 6 weeks or so everything became more intense. His messiah/god type thoughts were constant and he would be annoyed at me if I didn’t go along with it or if I denied knowledge of the things he was talking about. He also started looking at me differently at times. He would say I wasn’t me and even that our children or the pets are somebody or something else. He even got me to take my contact lenses out in front of him recently to make sure he wasn’t being monitored through them.
Last week he really scared me when he was telling me I was someone else. He was shaking with fury and hate whilst staring straight at me and I was terrified. After he turned to our 6 year old and she wasn’t her either I felt I had no choice but to call the police. This man wasn’t my husband and I didn’t know what he was capable of.
This call resulted in him being sectioned and he’s been in hospital now for almost a week.
He’s understandably devastated and he’s also extremely angry and frustrated. He’s told me he’s not going to get out of there alive and consistently asks me why I’ve done this to him. I have been trying to answer every call and FaceTime request he makes but its extremely stressful and I’m feeling exhausted mentally and physically. He’s calling up to 20 times a day and if our 5 year old doesn’t want to talk to him or wants to say hello and then do something else he gets very upset and angry.
He assumed I was going to try to get him out. I had to tell him that I wasn’t comfortable with that and I think he needs to stay to get better. This didn’t got down well and now he is saying he will get a solicitor.
When he was sectioned I was so relieved that me and the kids would get some respite and my husband would start to get the help he needs. I feel now that I’m still very much living in his mania and psychosis and there’s nothing I can do or say to make things better. I know that this is hell for him but it is for me too and he doesn’t seem to realise that.
Does anybody have any advice on how best to get through this??
Thanks in advance and sorry about the huge rant!

K

karl7

Hi everybody,

I know this is long (and probably very rambling) but I’m really struggling and was just hoping to hear from people who have been through something similar.

My husband has been suffering with his mental health for some time. He has been depressed and anxious for some years and we have been through some traumatic experiences.
In the past 12 months his mental health has declined rapidly with him getting caught up in conspiracy theories and thinking all of our computers/phones etc were being bugged. I only got really worried however when he started telling me that he was a god-like figure who had created everything in the universe.
He is convinced he has experienced numerous past lives all of which have included myself of other people within our circle of friends. He started spending a large amount of time walking around the fields and woods close to where we live and told me that he follows the streams, animals or wind. He can go on for miles and seems to be always searching for something.
8 weeks ago he tried to leave to go to Scotland. He said he wanted to see family there but everybody told him they couldn’t allow him to stay with them due to the lockdown. He said he would go anyway and got very aggressive when his brother tried to stop him. He was detained by the police when he got to the station and it was identified that he was experiencing a psychotic episode.
He was referred to the home treatment team and they started him on Olanzapene, which he decided to stop taking after 5 days. He refused any meds after that and reduced his engagement with the team.
In the last 6 weeks or so everything became more intense. His messiah/god type thoughts were constant and he would be annoyed at me if I didn’t go along with it or if I denied knowledge of the things he was talking about. He also started looking at me differently at times. He would say I wasn’t me and even that our children or the pets are somebody or something else. He even got me to take my contact lenses out in front of him recently to make sure he wasn’t being monitored through them.
Last week he really scared me when he was telling me I was someone else. He was shaking with fury and hate whilst staring straight at me and I was terrified. After he turned to our 6 year old and she wasn’t her either I felt I had no choice but to call the police. This man wasn’t my husband and I didn’t know what he was capable of.
This call resulted in him being sectioned and he’s been in hospital now for almost a week.
He’s understandably devastated and he’s also extremely angry and frustrated. He’s told me he’s not going to get out of there alive and consistently asks me why I’ve done this to him. I have been trying to answer every call and FaceTime request he makes but its extremely stressful and I’m feeling exhausted mentally and physically. He’s calling up to 20 times a day and if our 5 year old doesn’t want to talk to him or wants to say hello and then do something else he gets very upset and angry.
He assumed I was going to try to get him out. I had to tell him that I wasn’t comfortable with that and I think he needs to stay to get better. This didn’t got down well and now he is saying he will get a solicitor.
When he was sectioned I was so relieved that me and the kids would get some respite and my husband would start to get the help he needs. I feel now that I’m still very much living in his mania and psychosis and there’s nothing I can do or say to make things better. I know that this is hell for him but it is for me too and he doesn’t seem to realise that.
i have schizophrenia.....i used to beleive I was a God like figure myself......i used to believe
Hi everybody,

Hi Marchapril......i myself went through something similar......i used to beleive i was a God-like figure.....i used to think i was the Son of God.....a figure who had managed to defeat the devil and redeem humanity......like your husband i was convinced of this......i hear voices and God spoke to me directing me to do and say certain things

I have to say to you is dont take your husbands words and actions too close to heart.....he doesnt mean to hurt you......its the illness talking

M

MarchApril

i have schizophrenia.....i used to beleive I was a God like figure myself......i used to believe

Hi Marchapril......i myself went through something similar......i used to beleive i was a God-like figure.....i used to think i was the Son of God.....a figure who had managed to defeat the devil and redeem humanity......like your husband i was convinced of this......i hear voices and God spoke to me directing me to do and say certain things

I have to say to you is dont take your husbands words and actions too close to heart.....he doesnt mean to hurt you......its the illness talking
Thank you

Thank you karl7, I really appreciate your response.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
Elements of this remind me of my own psychosis, I believed for a time that some people in my life weren't who they said they were, like they had been replaced by something else, I also had strong feelings that I had to be somewhere and do something but could never figure out where or what I was supposed to do.

I heard voices claiming to be law enforcement and said they were coming to get me and my family. I searched for answers everywhere, I even went to a Buddhist center to see if they knew why I was hearing voices but the day before I was supposed to go to my appointment with them my voices got worse and my family called for an ambulance and after two policemen checked me out to make sure I was non-violent they took me into hospital.

I was never put on anti-psychotics during my nine day stay on the ward but I seemed to return to my old self after just a few days, my family had been visiting me everyday and with their help they released me back into the world.

Several months later it happened again, a little differently this time but once again I was at the mercy of a voice that was running me through so many scenarios and delusions but the voice went too far and I eventually gained just enough insight to go back to the hospital under my own steam to get help, this time I requested anti-psychotics as nothing else I had tried worked and they helped immensely. I spent three years under an Early Intervention Team where they tweaked and changed my medication until I found a brand and dosage that suited me, I've been on those meds for just under four years and I'm happy to report I'm very stable and free of psychosis, I still hear a voice that never shuts up but I don't respond to it and it doesn't control me any more.

I think you've done the right thing with your husband, in my opinion he needs medication and time to get back to his old self and hospital is the safest place to do that.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
I've been sectioned as I was psychotic, it is traumatic. However often it's for the best.
The staff shouldn't be letting him FaceTime you up to 20 times a day.
He should be being supervised more, I'd raise concerns.
A five year old will struggle to understand, I can see your trying to shield her as much as you can.
Hopefully the drugs will kick in soon, they did for me.
Here to chat anytime.
I'm so sorry this has happened to you.
Your husband will have a solicitor as they are given if you appeal your section.
He won't be released until he's stable so please don't worry.
Have a chat to his dr, my mum and sister did that.
Hugs

M

MarchApril

Elements of this remind me of my own psychosis, I believed for a time that some people in my life weren't who they said they were, like they had been replaced by something else, I also had strong feelings that I had to be somewhere and do something but could never figure out where or what I was supposed to do.

I heard voices claiming to be law enforcement and said they were coming to get me and my family. I searched for answers everywhere, I even went to a Buddhist center to see if they knew why I was hearing voices but the day before I was supposed to go to my appointment with them my voices got worse and my family called for an ambulance and after two policemen checked me out to make sure I was non-violent they took me into hospital.

I was never put on anti-psychotics during my nine day stay on the ward but I seemed to return to my old self after just a few days, my family had been visiting me everyday and with their help they released me back into the world.

Several months later it happened again, a little differently this time but once again I was at the mercy of a voice that was running me through so many scenarios and delusions but the voice went too far and I eventually gained just enough insight to go back to the hospital under my own steam to get help, this time I requested anti-psychotics as nothing else I had tried worked and they helped immensely. I spent three years under an Early Intervention Team where they tweaked and changed my medication until I found a brand and dosage that suited me, I've been on those meds for just under four years and I'm happy to report I'm very stable and free of psychosis, I still hear a voice that never shuts up but I don't respond to it and it doesn't control me any more.

I think you've done the right thing with your husband, in my opinion he needs medication and time to get back to his old self and hospital is the safest place to do that.
Thank you for your response. It’s so good to hear that you’re not controlled by it any more. I’d been finding it hard to stay positive but this has helped.

M

MarchApril

Hi,
I've been sectioned as I was psychotic, it is traumatic. However often it's for the best.
The staff shouldn't be letting him FaceTime you up to 20 times a day.
He should be being supervised more, I'd raise concerns.
A five year old will struggle to understand, I can see your trying to shield her as much as you can.
Hopefully the drugs will kick in soon, they did for me.
Here to chat anytime.
I'm so sorry this has happened to you.
Your husband will have a solicitor as they are given if you appeal your section.
He won't be released until he's stable so please don't worry.
Have a chat to his dr, my mum and sister did that.
Hugs
Thank you for your response. Although I’m so sorry you have been through this yourself it gives me great comfort to know that I’m not alone.

R

Resolution

Hi everybody,

R

Resolution

Don’t question your decisions you’re husband is unwell and you had to protect yourself you’re child.Take time to recover you need support to you’ve been responsive to your partners needs your not responsible 😇

manicmonday

manicmonday

I've been through similar to you husband and was sectioned earlier this year for three months with bipolar mania. I have a six year old too and it was toughest on her I think, but all my family came out the other side ok. It will take time for the drugs to kick in but when they do things will got a lot easier.

You could ask the hospital to take his phone away to stop the calls. I wasn't allowed my phone because I'd been texting people and there were a few others who weren't allowed access to the phone because they kept calling people so it's quite normal. Also you could tell the staff you don't want him to have family leave on his 117, if and when he first gets leave. He might be upset about it now but as he gains insight to what was wrong with him he might understand why.