• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Husband OCD... can’t handle it

M

MLWNWW

Hey- looking for some support and advice. My husband has OCD and constantly washes his hands and does so for two minutes at a time. Now that covid is around he’s even worse. We agreed to let dry groceries sit in the basement for at least three days to a week before putting them away to make him feel better. We just got into an argument because I had a box of cheesies in my trunk that were sitting there for a week and I wanted to bring them in the house. I told him I was bringing them in and he said not to and he would do it later so he could discard the box and take the bags of cheesies out. He thinks the box is contaminated. I told them I wanted them out of my car now. So he told me to just go get them then in an upset tone. So I did. I told him to not look if he doesn’t like it. He left the room. Now we are seriously fighting over me bringing a box of cheesies in the house. I asked him why he’s so upset about it and he said I trigger him. Like why is this my issue? Why do I have to ensure I don’t trigger him? I shouldn’t have to tip toe around and if I want to bring a box of cheesies in the house then I should be able to. Am I wrong?!? Now he’s sitting in a room by himself on his iPad for the last half hour and I asked him if he’s going to come out and he said no he’s not ready yet. I’m so frustrated.

bpd2020

bpd2020

Hello and welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear what is going on with your husband. I would urge him to seek professional help. There is a lot of treatment for ocd and it sounds like your husband would find treatment very helpful.