• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

hurtful comments from family member

S

shopaholic01

Hi
This is my first time posting on here and it's great to come and talk with everyone who is going
through the same and similar situations I've suffered with depression for a few years now and I'm back on the straight and narrow. My sister has severe ocd and I'm kind of like her carer I try to help her out as much as I can. Over the past few years we haven't had a good relationship with auntie, uncle, cousins they basically turned their backs on my sister with ocd because my other sister and her husband basically caused trouble and badmouthed my sister. So my uncle decided to call my sister mental, waste of space and the other week he decided to say well she is mental once again. He has really gotten to me this time I've got so much anger because I believe nobody should be discriminated against especially when she's so vulnerable and sensitive and basically my family have got no time for her. I was just wondering what others think about these disgraceful comments ?

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Welcome to the forum. :hi:
I agree with you that these comments are disgraceful.
Sometimes I wonder how people can still be so ignorant in this day and age. Sometimes I wonder if people know what they're saying, but are choosing to be 'controversial' for some strange reason - because it makes them feel powerful to upset another person? Who knows.

I think your sister must be incredibly grateful to have your support, given the awful comments from other family members.