Humor as a Psychological Weapon

naominash

naominash

Sometimes I don't listen to sermons or self-help when I'm sad.

I turn on my favorite comedian, Lavelle Crawford. Many comedians have well documented psychological issues. Depending on how you look at it, that could either mean they're doing something right, or just masking pain that is usually dealt with with tons of drugs.

But honestly?

I have used jokes to stop my friend's paranoia dead in its tracks. No lie, he said, "I guess it is kind of funny. Ha ha. I actually feel better about this!"

You have to know the line between joking and offending. This usually requires trust. But it's so effective.

I also use humor for ppl who take themselves too seriously. In some cases, a good laugh at themselves is their only hope!

naominash

naominash

I think a lot of people with depression are either really outwardly sad or have great comedic skills.

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

When I was teaching 5-11 year olds I used to employ a lot of humour and try to get the children to laugh, not just to keep them focused (although it did) or to get them to like me (although it did) but also because I consider having a broad sense of humour is an absolutely essential survival life-skill.

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

I agree with this

also my therapist has taught me

if you make someone laugh their brain cells fly open

he asked me something and I couldn't remember, he cracked a stupid joke, I laughed, suddenly had the memory

its like flinging open windows and getting air through

your brain works better when youre amused. its a bio fact :)

C

crashinginthesamecar

What a brilliant fact!

I agree that comedy helps. There have been times when I have been in floods of tears, & one silly joke on the TV has turned that into actual laughter. I think it kinda surprises your brain :p

A

Abacas

One of my favorite coping skills involves humor. This is what I have learned as a recipe for laughter:

1) Get a pen and piece of paper. You can do this also on the computer.

2) Write out chapters of a book and name them. ( It helps me to use the ridiculousness of my circumstances.)

3) Now write the title of the book.

4) This step is where the funny stuff begins! Write out one line jokes of the chapters and make light of what you have experienced.

5) Have a good belly laugh on the stupidity of it all.

You don't laugh at your stupidity because you aren't! You laugh at what you have experienced.

It makes the hard road you travel so much easier and puts abusers in their place. They may not know it, but it's your little secret!....LOL!

i_must_be_mad

i_must_be_mad

You could sign up for a joke of the day website sending you your morning dose of humour to keep you sane by email.

There's also a lot to be said when times are hard at gallows humour.

Absolutely can actually cause people to take a sideways glance at circumstances and even if only a tiny flicker of a smile for some, the job done.☺

Agree with this completely.

Often a good way to ease conflicts too.

Lot more facial muscles used for a frown as opposed to a smile.☺☺☺

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Charlie Chaplin knew how powerful humour was when he created the film 'The Great Dictator' in 1939.

Spitting Image was very good at it too.

Too much ass kissing to authority - makes me feel queasy - at the minute.

A

Abacas

I have been off of psych meds for almost 7 years now.The psych field has been responsible since that time for abuse and false incident reports from police stating that I am a "nut" case. They need to come to accountability. Major civil.rights violations has happened to me including being abused in a detention center when I was placed there for an unlawful petition to get me in a mental health facility. No criteria was.met in the petition. I was abused so they thought I would go off in court but their plan backfired. I have experienced cruel and unusual punishment for their wrong doing that includes threats. I was forced to do a misdemeanor and go to jail.because of threats from poliice and while I was jailed a woman was chained to a bench for around 5 hours for a suicide watch. I questioned a guard on why that was done? He said it was because of a medical order. Who ordered that? I can't think of anyone that would do that except the psych system. The police work closely with them!

A

Abacas

The joke is on the psych system! They will come to accountability for ruining peoples lives!

i_must_be_mad

i_must_be_mad

There are as always some truly excellent support staff around. No one goes into this type of job for the adulation or the money. It's an amazingly difficult job and even less funding now and strapped with excessive tick boxing makes the roles tough in the extreme.

IMO there are just people who can't see that this type of job is not their calling in life. But if someone really isn't cut out for working in mental health absolutely yes do appreciate that their words can completely do more damage than good.

Sadly I have been on the end of such myself also.

I have felt anger at times towards support staff myself but if I look back at it, perhaps they tried to make me get better in the way I respond to.

Some people get more benefit from a softly softly approach and some like me respond to a bit more of a kick up the back side because from my perspective it makes me feel "right I will show them" kind of response.

Problem being they like with everything don't pay enough to get the right calibre of staff. Not anyone's fault though. All would wish very different am aware from both sides of the fence.

But yes getting back to thread title, I have sign hanging up on the wall in my lounge, " welcome to the nut house" . It's amusing to me and also admit too often appropriate also.

But makes me smile which is always the key.☺

Last edited:
A

Abacas

I do believe you are right that there is some good ones! They give us hope. But in general I have lost trust in people that say they will help me. Chances are they come to me with a smiling mask that covers up much betrayal. I have great need to be loved and accepted and.have to find others that don't manipulate and abuse for their own personal gain. I know they are out there possibly hiding behind the bushes.So I need to find them and nurture those bushes where we can benefit on another!

naominash

naominash

I do believe you are right that there is some good ones! They give us hope. But in general I have lost trust in people that say they will help me. Chances are they come to me with a smiling mask that covers up much betrayal. I have great need to be loved and accepted and.have to find others that don't manipulate and abuse for their own personal gain. I know they are out there possibly hiding behind the bushes.So I need to find them and nurture those bushes where we can benefit on another!
This reminds me of something:

You will be a burning bush that is not consumed.

But who would want Moses as a friend?

I mean, that's intimidating.